Donald Young - Page 67 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #991
country flag bearitone315

bearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Donald Young

Steve Johnson, college player extraordinaire, has been appointed to hand DY loss #14. SJ was tough as nails in college, beating every player he faced the last two years. He played under tremendous pressure and scrutiny. I am 65% certain he will outfight DY.

Now there is a 35% chance that DY will win. To accomplish that, DY will have to stay on top the entire way and win in two quick sets, something like 62 63. If SJ makes the match close, count on DY to fold as usual.
bearitone315 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #992

bearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond reputebearitone315 has a reputation beyond repute

Match went exactly as I expected, with DY folding in the third set. DY heads to the Olympics on quite a roll.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #993
country flag Pistol Pete Fan

Pistol Pete Fan is on a distinguished road

Just to think, had things turned out differently and DY went to college instead of turning pro (unlikely, I know, after winning a junior grand slam at 15), probably at Georgia or Illinois, he would not have even ended up being the best player in the NCAA.

Hard to continue rooting for someone performing so consistently below his potential.

Last edited by Pistol Pete Fan : 07-17-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Pistol Pete Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #994
country flag Feketepuss

Feketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine we have all seen this in the past but revisiting this video, it is scarey how the problems DY had when it was made (giving up, getting down on himself, his mother etc) haunt him even now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szM-g...e=context-vrec
Feketepuss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearitone315 View Post
While we're looking at the bright side (glass is 10% full, not 90% empty), DY now has a 2-match winning streak! He's playing doubles at Eastbourne with Ebden (Harrison's usual partner), and they have won their first two rounds. They play in the quarters tomorrow. At least that's something!
While focused on DY's loss #14 in Atlanta, I forgot that he is also entered in doubles. He and his partner (Klaasen of South Africa) just beat the #2 seeded team. They will likely play old nemesis Matosevic and his partner next. Maybe DY can exorcise some demons in that match.

Hey, here's a thought. DY should focus on doubles. I know his professional doubles record is spotty, but I attribute that to a lack of attention and lack of a consistent, compatible partner. The ATP doubles tour is filled with failed singles players (where DY might actually shine). He needs a regular partner, preferably someone who (1) has the size, power, and physical presence that DY lacks and (2) someone (probably an older veteran) who will control DY's negativity, self-doubt, and frustation, sort of a coach on the court.

Let's root for DY in his next doubles match!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #996

Even though he is playing like crap right now, the Olympics should be a positive experience for DY. It's one of the rare opportunities (aside from Davis Cup) to play for your country. Even if he loses unceremoniously in round one to some obscure unranked player, I hope he takes the time to soak in the atmosphere at the Olympic Village, watch other events, and take in the ceremonial grandeur of the Olympics. Maybe being exposed to the single-minded work ethic exuded by other Olympians will help revive Donald's career. Whatever the result, I hope he, along with John, Andy, Ryan and the Bryan brothers (and their counterparts on the women's side) represent our country well.

Last edited by Pistol Pete Fan : 07-25-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete Fan View Post
Even though he is playing like crap right now, the Olympics should be a positive experience for DY. It's one of the rare opportunities (aside from Davis Cup) to play for your country. Even if he loses unceremoniously in round one to some obscure unranked player, I hope he takes the time to soak in the atmosphere at the Olympic Village, watch other events, and take in the ceremonial grandeur of the Olympics. Maybe being exposed to the single-minded work ethic exuded by other Olympians will help revive Donald's career. Whatever the result, I hope he, along with John, Andy, Ryan and the Bryan brothers (and their counterparts on the women's side) represent our country well.
Hey PPF! I like your positivity. I must mention another major factor in his Olympic experience - DY will have a real coach, Jay Berger. That alone gives him a much better chance to actually break his epic losing streak (assuming he doesn't draw a seeded player in R1).
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #998
country flag BAMJ6

BAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow he has a coach again. I hope this combined with the Olympics can at minimum snap his losing streak. At 23 now, the time is ticking.
BAMJ6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #999
country flag Rob_C

Rob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete Fan View Post
Just to think, had things turned out differently and DY went to college instead of turning pro (unlikely, I know, after winning a junior grand slam at 15), probably at Georgia or Illinois, he would not have even ended up being the best player in the NCAA.

Hard to continue rooting for someone performing so consistently below his potential.
Gotta disagree here. When he would have been a freshman in college, 2008ish, he was top 100 in the world, coming off a year where he had won multiple Challenger titles, and reached several Challenger finals. There's no way you have that kind of success on the pro tour, then go to college.

Not to mention last year, where he made the semis of Washington, finals in Bangkok, & 4th rd at the US Open, and finished the yr at 39.

Lets take Steve Johnson for example, he's never won a Challenger title to date. I think he has 1 Futures title, and 1 Futures final as his best pro results, and he's the best college player the last 2 yrs running.

I think DYs biggest problem is he isnt working as hard & preparing as well as he did last year. I mentioned before about him working out with the likes of Querrey, Fish, & Sampras last year, along with the USTA coaches. This year, there's no talk of that, and we can all see the results. This yr he has so 'no name' 16 year old as a practice partner.

I'm not sure how accepted he is by the American players, to me it seems he's a bit of an outsider, not sure if it's through his doing, or what.
Rob_C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #1000

It's an interesting barroom argument. In support of your position, being ranked 100 in the world usually puts you comfortably above the best college players. I think DY was better during the past 4 years then most of the top college players near his vintage (Klahn, Rhyne Williams, Sandgren, etc.) However, the timing of his loss to Johnson -- just a few months after he won the NCAA's -- is just too interesting of a juxtaposition to ignore. True, Johnson is an outlier when it comes to contemporary college talent (2 year winning streak) and his best pro results are still quite modest (2 Futures, def. Chardy) compared to other successful pros his age. If you suspend disbelief and imagine that the match was NCAA final instead of a first round ATP event, it is interesting to look at the 4-year trajectory of both of their careers intersecting at this point and having Johnson come out on top -- in DY's hometown, no less.

DY tends to play up or down to the talent level of his opposition -- hence the inexplicable losses to people ranked in the 300's-400's -- and the signature wins (Monfils, Warwinka, Lopez,, Baghdatis, Murray) against the top-flight talent. (This might explain why, incidentally, he is so maddeningly ineffective against Russell, who is close enough to DY's talent pocket keep DY from forcing himself to recalibrate his game upward.) It is entirely possible that had he played in college his play would have gravitated towards the college-level talent surrounding him. It is also possible that, with the right coaching, he would have learned to use his tools better and be less prone to meltdowns. I guess it's all speculation at this point.

Last edited by Pistol Pete Fan : 07-26-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1001
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Olympics:

(12)Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs Donald Young (USA)
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs (8)Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #1002

I am tempted to pick DY over Seppi, but I won't. Seppi is the type of consistent, hard-working, skilled player that will eventually wear down DY. However, because of the "Jay Berger, real coach, on his side" factor, DY stands a better chance of winning than he has lately. I give him a 35% chance of winning. This week, we see the 180 points from Washington DC coming off and the big slide in DY's ranking.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #1003
country flag BAMJ6

BAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond reputeBAMJ6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearitone315 View Post
I am tempted to pick DY over Seppi, but I won't. Seppi is the type of consistent, hard-working, skilled player that will eventually wear down DY. However, because of the "Jay Berger, real coach, on his side" factor, DY stands a better chance of winning than he has lately. I give him a 35% chance of winning. This week, we see the 180 points from Washington DC coming off and the big slide in DY's ranking.
After the Olympics there prob will be a drop. Just win a match first then worry later. FYI he'd need a SF to fully replace the Washington points, or a QF so it's a minimal drop.
BAMJ6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #1004
country flag Rob_C

Rob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond reputeRob_C has a reputation beyond repute

Saw pics of DY at the Olympics. He's back to the Prince frame. The Dunlop experiment should have ended long ago. Hopefully this is the 1st of some positive changes.

As for DY-SJ, Johnson followed up his win over DY by losing to Sock & 1st rd in LA. I think SJ was lucky to draw DY 1st rd cause of the obvious streak related lack of confidence.

DY also lost in straights to Jamie Baker, a career Challenger level player. The loss to SJ doesnt mean he should have gone to college at all. Im pretty sure we wont see SJ making a deep run at the US Open this summer beating seeds like DY did last yr.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #1005
country flag Rob_C

Qualies for Toronto up next, unless he pulls out. Its a chance for him to get at least one win, hopfully he can make main draw and win a match there. Thing is, he can easily run into a Russell, Bogomolov type in the qualies and get bounced. At this point Im just hoping for one win, anywhere, to give him a jolt of confidence.