In The Spotlight: buddyholly - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #136
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In The Spotlight: buddyholly

What about mentally?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #137
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a Kinder Surprise yet?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #138
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

It will be a weekend treat.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #139
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
What about mentally?
My mental age is the same as my shoe size.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #140
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
My mental age is the same as my shoe size.
I somehow doubt that.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #141
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Buddy Boy! Its that time of the year again where you flourish.

Answer me these queries:

1. What do you think about the ACC contest?
2. What do you think about your first round match up: Abraxas?
3. Your take on Johnny Groove's return (after you had taken his departure for serious!)
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #142
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

have u ever visited the middle east? if not, will u ever?
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #143
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

I have been to Dubai to stay with my god-daughter.
I have "done" Egypt. Luxor and the Terracotta Army in China are the two most stunning things I have seen on my travels.
I visited Turkey, if that counts.
And I dived the Gulf of Eliat. The trip was supposed to be highlighted by the shark dive at Ras Muhammad, but after purchasing the trip and before it took place, the Israelis gave the Sinai back and Ras Muhammad was off limits. I remember the first night on board, moored in Eliat. Throughout the night there were loud booms in the water, and trying to sleep below decks was impossible. The crew assured us it was just a nightly practice to lob shells into the water to deter terrorists coming over from the Saudi side.

That trip was also memorable because I was living in the Dominican Republic at the time. My friends on the dive trip were coming from the US. Their plane arrived the day after mine, so there was no-one at the airport from the dive company when I got in to Tel Aviv.
So, here I was, a lone Irishman coming from the Dominican Republic at the height of the IRA campaign, with a suitcase full of Scuba gear and a ticket to Eliat for the following day!!!! I received the full treatment at the airport and was questioned for about four hours, over and over the same questions. All very polite, but over and over the same questions. Looking for a contradiction, I guess. Finally a representative from the dive company came out to the airport and confirmed I was on their trip.
So I was released and had a night in Tel Aviv. My strongest remembrance is that the following morning was the Sabbath and I was completely confused at the elevator stopping on every floor on the way down to breakfast.
After the dive trip we went to Jerusalem. My strongest memory in that area is our visit to Jesus' tomb (?). When the guide pointed to a small vertical gash in the wall and said it was where God sent down a bolt of lightning (?), I, as a geologist, felt compelled to point out that the rock was limestone, which dissolves easily in rain water and that the crack was a very normal geological feature of limestone. The priest, or whoever he was, called me all sorts of names for my blasphemy.

Last edited by buddyholly : 09-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #144
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

If communist Cuba was so awful, how come you stayed there for 10 years?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #145
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I received the full treatment at the airport and was questioned for about four hours, over and over the same questions. All very polite, but over and over the same questions. Looking for a contradiction, I guess. Finally a representative from the dive company came out to the airport and confirmed I was on their trip.
sorry but if it help in a way This is not a "privilege" reserved only for tourists

Quote:
So I was released and had a night in Tel Aviv. My strongest remembrance is that the following morning was the Sabbath and I was completely confused at the elevator stopping on every floor on the way down to breakfast.
must have taken u forever to arrive to get down.

did u travel outside and saw everything closed?

Quote:
After the dive trip we went to Jerusalem. My strongest memory in that area is our visit to Jesus' tomb (?). When the guide pointed to a small vertical gash in the wall and said it was where God sent down a bolt of lightning (?), I, as a geologist, felt compelled to point out that the rock was limestone, which dissolves easily in rain water and that the crack was a very normal geological feature of limestone. The priest, or whoever he was, called me all sorts of names for my blasphemy.
lol cant say im shocked

when was it?
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #146
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Can not remember the year. Clearly the year Israel gave back Sinai. Late 70's early 80's.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #147
country flag Punky

early 80S indeed (sorry i wasnt born then)

Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #148
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
If communist Cuba was so awful, how come you stayed there for 10 years?
Because I am not Cuban!!!!! It was not awful for me.

I had money, vacations abroad, cars, full access to the grocery stores and restaurants that only operated with US dollars. Also access to tourist hotels that were banned to Cubans, access to the Internet that was banned to Cubans and full access to satellite TV that was banned to Cubans.
And full access to gasoline stations, that were actually banned to Cubans when I arrived. Eventually that changed when Fidel realized he might as well have those dollars that Cubans got from Miami rather than the black market that existed in gas stolen from the government.
And probably most importantly, access to the only acceptable hospital in Havana, which treats the party hierarchy. And that was only because it had the only dialysis machine operating in Cuba.

Not to mention the excitement of geological exploration in a country whose potential had been ignored for thirty years.
During the time the Soviet empire was managing Cuba there was no exploration. The Soviets' only interests in mining were to ransack the already existing nickel deposits.
Which is why Fidel had to enter into partnership with a Canadian company after the Soviets left. Someone had to restore the nickel processing facilities the Soviets had left in ruins.

And of course those fabulous beaches. Of course Cubans were generally kept away from the beaches beside the main resort areas.

Last edited by buddyholly : 09-09-2013 at 06:17 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #149
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

When did you leave Cuba?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #150
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON