Most overrated shot (of the top players) - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #91
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
I've already listed mine. Here are some underrated shots now.

-Federer's backhand

-Tsonga's serve

-Del Potro's forehand

-Berdych's backhand

-Tipsy's backhand

-Cilic's return of serve
I've noticed Nalbandian's volleys are surprisingly good But no-one ever mentions them

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #92
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
I've noticed Nalbandian's volleys are surprisingly good But no-one ever mentions them
I think everyone knows Nalbandian's backhand and overall touch (including at the net) are sublime, don't think his volleys are underrated.

A fine example of an underrated shot is Tsonga's serve, which is clearly the best in the top 10 now that Isner is #11. It's basically the shot that has allowed him to have such a good career despite having the worst backhand and return in the top 10 (again, thanks to Isner being out of the top 10 at the moment). Lost count of how often Jo has served his way out of trouble over the years despite the rest of his game not working so well (in contrast with for instance Berdych who keeps serving his way into trouble).
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #93

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think everyone knows Nalbandian's backhand and overall touch (including at the net) are sublime, don't think his volleys are underrated.

A fine example of an underrated shot is Tsonga's serve, which is clearly the best in the top 10 now that Isner is #11. It's basically the shot that has allowed him to have such a good career despite having the worst backhand and return in the top 10 (again, thanks to Isner being out of the top 10 at the moment).
Ehhh I think when people think of Nalbandian they automatically think of his backhand (which is amazing) But he doesn't have a bad drive volley either, it's not all drop volleys And I also think everyone knows Tsonga's serve is dominant. There was a whole thread dedicated to him holding (was it 80+?) times. So no doubt Tsonga's serve is recognized.

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #94
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

A fine example of an underrated shot is Tsonga's serve, which is clearly the best in the top 10 now that Isner is #11. It's basically the shot that has allowed him to have such a good career despite having the worst backhand and return in the top 10 (again, thanks to Isner being out of the top 10 at the moment). Lost count of how often Jo has served his way out of trouble over the years despite the rest of his game not working so well (in contrast with for instance Berdych who keeps serving his way into trouble).
Tsonga has played a lot of serve bot like matches in the past few years.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #95

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ehhh I think when people think of Nalbandian they automatically think of his backhand (which is amazing) But he doesn't have a bad drive volley either, it's not all drop volleys And I also think everyone knows Tsonga's serve is dominant. There was a whole thread dedicated to him holding (was it 80+?) times. So no doubt Tsonga's serve is recognized.
People who follow tennis most certainly recognize Nalby's insane touch and volleying. The backhand is obviously his trademark shot though; no wonder as it's arguably the best two hander the game has ever seen (I don't think it is the best, but it's surely up there).

Yeah, I made that thread In general though, I rarely see Jo's serve mentioned among the best on tour.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #96
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Fact is the approach shot is a vital component of your "net game". Knowing when to come in and how to come in is as important as the quality of the volleys themselves. Tsonga has a great volley which he can abuse at times like a lot of players. His punch volleys are decent but nothing out of the ordinary.
Tsonga has punch volleys?
I thought he only had the drop volley, and the "clown volley"*.

*when he attempts to sideways slam-dunk a ball that could easily be put away with a smash or regular volley.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #97

Quote:
Tsonga has played a lot of serve bot like matches in the past few years.
Indeed. His serve is the reason he's even in the top 10, let alone making Slams semis and final. With his crap backhand and ROS, he'd be fucked without his huge serve. His serve has bailed him out uncountable times.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 07-26-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #98

Quote:
People who follow tennis most certainly recognize Nalby's insane touch and volleying. The backhand is obviously his trademark shot though; no wonder as it's arguably the best two hander the game has ever seen (I don't think it is the best, but it's surely up there).

Yeah, I made that thread In general though, I rarely see Jo's serve mentioned among the best on tour.
I guess I just haven't noticed anyone talking about Nalby's volleys But I will stick to my point that Tsonga's serving does get noticed and praised. I think Tsonga's serve gets praised a lot more than Nalby's volleys tbh.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #99

Quote:
I guess I just haven't noticed anyone talking about Nalby's volleys But I will stick to my point that Tsonga's serving does get noticed and praised. I think Tsonga's serve gets praised a lot more than Nalby's volleys tbh.
I guess you might have a point, mostly because the serve is Tsonga's best shot, while Nalbandian's volleys, while exceptional, are kind of overshadowed by his backhand.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #100

Quote:
I guess you might have a point, mostly because the serve is Tsonga's best shot, while Nalbandian's volleys, while exceptional, are kind of overshadowed by his backhand.
Indeed

Quote:
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #101
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Nalbandian has very solid volleys but I wouldn't call them exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. He never uses them enough to influence the outcome of a match and the shot is too "by the book" in my opinion. He would benefit from coming in more and using more flair with the shot.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #102

Quote:
Nalbandian has very solid volleys but I wouldn't call them exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. He never uses them enough to influence the outcome of a match and the shot is too "by the book" in my opinion. He would benefit from coming in more and using more flair with the shot.
I think he is very confident at net. Because this definitely influenced the match, as he came back to win it The fact that he went to net on 2 MP's shows he's definitely confident with his volleys and they're really reliable.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #103
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Nalby's volleys are about the same as Hewitt's. Both very good, but both guys don't rely on them often.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #104
country flag Andy1402

Andy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
But if only one guy, one of the two currently ranked above him, has been able to consistently make a mockery of it, is it really "overrated"? Given that it varies per person and surface at times, that same forehand tends to give most people nightmares.
Yeah.. you are right. Maybe it's just my bias against overtly defensive tennis. Nadal is one of the best defensive players in history but djokovic did expose some weaknesses. Maybe even rosol did some damage to that.
Andy1402 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Nalby's volleys are about the same as Hewitt's. Both very good, but both guys don't rely on them often.
Sure Nalby doesn't go to net often, but it doesn't take away the fact that he has very good volleys. And part of the reason that his volleys might be underrated is because he doesn't display his volleys often

Quote: