"Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno statue taken down - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #106
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno OUT after 46 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
As far as I am concerned, Joe Paterno has gotten a bum rap in all of this. He reported what he was told to higher authorities in Penn State. It turns out that the witness did NOT tell Joe exactly what he saw in the locker room in order to not embarrass Joe. He did tell the higher authorities, the graphic details, that he did not tell Paterno. In any case, it was those above Joe and the witness who should have gone to the police. Joe Paterno has been a great coach, advisor and friend to hundreds of Penn State players and others on campus. He has turned down many millions when offered a Pro contract and has donated millions to Penn State in various ways. The stinking media loves to tear down good people in order to make an evil story more sensational. Joe Paterno, like all of us is not perfect, but he is much better than most pompous, self rightous sports media jerks.
You are confused. It wasn't the media that fired him! It was the university.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #107
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently he's on his deathbed.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #108
country flag clandis

clandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond repute

He died. Now he will never face charges for his role in the coverup.
clandis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #109
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

It's crazy the complete shift in tone this death has than it would have had just a year ago.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #110
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Joe Paterno passes away at age 85

Well, Sandusky is convicted and waits for his sentence. There is talk about 440 years. I really feel 250 years might be enough.

Now there's a report about an old email where the Penn State officials are talking about covering up Sandusky's crimes. It seems Paterno was right there with them and very aware what was going on and trying to cover up for Sandusky.

I read somewhere that there is a mural near the Penn State campus and Sandusky's image has been replaced. Apparently some Penn State legends have been painted on it. It's kind of disgusting that there is a halo over Paterno's head in the same painting. They should probably erase him too.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #111
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
It's crazy the complete shift in tone this death has than it would have had just a year ago.
Imagine if Sandusky would have died in 2008. The accolades and grieving after the great defensive coordinator has passed away. It won't be quite the same for him when he dies in prison.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #112
country flag Mr.Michael

Default Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Sandusky convicted on 45 of 48 counts

What's the deal? Are the students still rallying behind JoePa and protesting? The Freeh Report is pretty dark. Paterno no longer gets the benefit of the doubt. Time for everyone to open their eyes down there. Didn't we even have some Paterno fan here defending him?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #113
country flag Mr.Michael

Default Re: "Happy" Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
You didn't grow up in Pennsylvania, and clearly have never gone to a large university where there are large amounts of pride. The rioting was dumb, agreed, but people who don't go here, or didn't go here, simply do not understand what Joe Paterno meant. He was everyone's father. The entire campus was in a daze today.

I reread your first post also, and clearly you've merely listened to mass media and didn't look for any facts in the case. The semantics of what McQuery said are very important. And yes, there was an investigation, of which the lead investigator in the case CLEARY HAS STATED that Paterno had no knowledge and no charges were filed against Sandusky. I don't mind people being of the opinion that Paterno should have been fired, but you better not decide that without facts.

The media has made this into a Joe Paterno story and a bash Penn State story, when that really should not have been the focus. There's been no mention of the thousands of students who peacefully sang our Alma Mater at Old Main in sorrow. There's been no mention of the candle light vigil in support of the victims of these terrible crimes where 8-10 thousand students will come together. There's been no mention of the football game being changed to a blue out, with thousands of students buying blue t-shirts to benefit a charity that helps **** and incest victims. None of that is newsworthy, because people like you don't have anyone to crucify then.

Go ahead and say my post is crap, I'll continue to stand by my university.

Still a proud Penn Stater.
So, seven months have gone by and now the FACTS are pretty much out there. Is JoePa still that great and innocent?

The Paterno statue is coming down. Too bad he isn't around to witness it.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #114
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
You didn't grow up in Pennsylvania, and clearly have never gone to a large university where there are large amounts of pride. The rioting was dumb, agreed, but people who don't go here, or didn't go here, simply do not understand what Joe Paterno meant. He was everyone's father. The entire campus was in a daze today.
Unfortunately too many US universities put the sports programme before the education programme. It seems you think Joe Paterno WAS the university, with learning as a side effect.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #115
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Michael View Post
So, seven months have gone by and now the FACTS are pretty much out there. Is JoePa still that great and innocent?

The Paterno statue is coming down. Too bad he isn't around to witness it.
It's amazing. They interviewed Penn State students and several are still defending Paterno. Goes to show the dangers of what happens when a footbal program is bigger than the university and when one coach has so much power. Penn State is definitely not the lone school where this is the case.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #116
country flag Mr.Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
It's amazing. They interviewed Penn State students and several are still defending Paterno. Goes to show the dangers of what happens when a footbal program is bigger than the university and when one coach has so much power. Penn State is definitely not the lone school where this is the case.
Yes, I also read an article where many were saying goodbye to the statue and taking pictures with the holy JoePa. Very "emotional" and corny stuff. It still reminds me of those crappy Beverly Hills episodes with Brandon. The journalistic quality wasn't that good, because no one asked those douchebags why are they sobbing about Paterno and why don't they just face the facts. No hard questions.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #117
country flag smitty8

smitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Happy" Valley... Update: Paterno statue taken down

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/23...ion/?hpt=hp_t1

well, is this really worse than the "death penalty"? It definitely hurts them for many years, but they could build things back in time.
smitty8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #118
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's utterly ridiculous to strip a team of wins because of criminal misconduct by a member of the coaching staff that has absolutely nothing to do with the games. It's just so ridiculous. Where does this end? It sets a truly terrible precedent.

A team should not lose wins, unless there is cheating involved. Punishing past and future players for the conduct of one man and a small group that may have helped over up his actions for whatever reasons is bs.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #119
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
I think it's utterly ridiculous to strip a team of wins because of criminal misconduct by a member of the coaching staff that has absolutely nothing to do with the games. It's just so ridiculous. Where does this end? It sets a truly terrible precedent.

A team should not lose wins, unless there is cheating involved. Punishing past and future players for the conduct of one man and a small group that may have helped over up his actions for whatever reasons is bs.
I think the point they were trying to make was that it was not just misconduct by one coach, but a conspiracy of silence by the entire football programme and the university authorities.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #120
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

I would say a small number of administration people who may or may not have known what was really going on is hardly the entire football program. And punishing 13 seasons of teams? There's absolutely no defending it.