S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #61
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Don't forget Iliya Bozoljac (some guy above me even posted a link to his match at Wimby).
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #62
country flag Choreos

Choreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri89 View Post
About Bozo : Roddick hit almost 50 aces in the final of Wimbledon against Federer if I remember well in 2009.

About the 15/30/40, there are some different theories. Would be hard for me to explain it in english, but it could be related to the monetary system used at the time of the "jeu de paume".
Lol Federer actually served 50 aces in the final. Roddic hit 27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Player A hits his first serve. If Player B hits a screaming fast crosscourt return, so much so that Player A cannot even react and is stuck in the middle of the court, can Player A then challenge his own first serve?
Player A didn't (or couldn't) make a motion towards the return, so can it be argued that he stopped play after his serve – and get a replay or a second serve?
Player A can challenge. I know there's a video of Roddick successfully doing it somewhere on Youtube (against Monfils?)
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDWxn6q-zc Not exactly your scenario.
Choreos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #63
country flag Linque

Linque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond reputeLinque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Player A hits his first serve. If Player B hits a screaming fast crosscourt return, so much so that Player A cannot even react and is stuck in the middle of the court, can Player A then challenge his own first serve?
Player A didn't (or couldn't) make a motion towards the return, so can it be argued that he stopped play after his serve – and get a replay or a second serve?
He can challenge but he wouldn't get replay of the first serve in any situation. If the serve was out, he would get a second serve.
Linque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #64
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Now Wimby and earlier this year AO had their finals finished under roof. Have there been any other GS finals played (partly) indoors?

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #65
country flag Mercury

Mercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond repute

Why do they call it "let" when a serve hits the net and falls in the service box? Cause they'll "let" him do it again?

I always thought they were saying "net" which makes much more sense to me but recently I noticed they're saying "let".....
Mercury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #66
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

SQ about draws. Have I understood the draw system correctly?

#1 & #2 are on different halfs.
#3 & #4 are drawn to #1 & #2's halfs.
#5 to #8 are drawn to #1 to #4's quarters.
#9 to #16 are drawn to #1 to #8's eighths.
#17 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #16's sixteenths. I remember also reading somewhere #25 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #8 and's sixteenths and #17 to #24 are drawn to #9 to #16's sixteenths.

And, if a seeded player withdraws, #n takes the place of #n-1 in the draw with #33 taking the place of #32.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #67
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

#17 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #16's sixteenths. I remember also reading somewhere #25 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #8 and's sixteenths and #17 to #24 are drawn to #9 to #16's sixteenths.

And, if a seeded player withdraws, #n takes the place of #n-1 in the draw with #33 taking the place of #32.
By the time it reaches the bolded part, I believe it gets totally random. I could be wrong though. But the rest of its seems correct.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #68
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Neither, the answer is Halle. I think it closes in 18 seconds.
Germans don't mess around.
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #69
country flag yesyesok

yesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If this happens pre draw then yes.

However there is odd protocol if if happens post draw.

When Nadal (#1 seed) withdrew from Wimby 2009, Federer (#2 seed) took his place in the draw, Del Potro (#5 seed) took Federer's place and if I remember correctly the next highest ranked unseeded player got Del Potro's draw.

I have no idea why that happened that way. I think what I said might not be 100% accurate but it was an odd way they patched the seeding up.
yesyesok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #70
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Mostly yes. As of what happen when a seed withdraw it depended which one and when

Complete rule and correct terminology

Z Entry and procedures

2 Singles Main draw v Procedure for Placing seed http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vh...m?referrerUrl= 9 (page 25)
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #71
country flag August

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Mostly yes. As of what happen when a seed withdraw it depended which one and when

Complete rule and correct terminology

Z Entry and procedures

2 Singles Main draw v Procedure for Placing seed http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vh...m?referrerUrl= 9 (page 25)
Thanks. So the system is:

#13 to #16 are drawn to #1 to #4's eighths and #9 to #12 are drawn to #5 to #8's eighths.
#25 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #8's sixteenths and #17 to #24 are drawn to #9 to #16's sixteenths.

Anyway, my next even more stupid question is how do you say Masters in plural? Just Masters or Masterses? Or Masters events?

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #72
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyway, my next even more stupid question is how do you say Masters in plural? Just Masters or Masterses? Or Masters events?
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #73
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

not sure if this is serious
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #74
country flag August

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
not sure if this is serious
Well this is stupid question thread, and I've been wondering this.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #75
country flag Choreos

Choreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond reputeChoreos has a reputation beyond repute

How do tournaments and tv networks decide which players' name goes on top and on the bottom when displaying the score? Is there a consistent metric?
Choreos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote