Name me some top 100 players who are notorious point vultures - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #76
country flag TennisGrandSlam

TennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name me some top 100 players who are notorious point vultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Raonic, plays the likes of Chennai, San Jose, Memphis, Newport to get MM points and then can't do anything is slams. Only 225 of he points comes from slams, points whore
I see Raonic has potential to be NO.1.
TennisGrandSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #77
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson0712 View Post
Classic Ferrer. For me the world number 5 needs to be a danger to the big players, not a walk over. The world number 5 also needs to be considered as a potential grand-slam winner. That's why for me Ferrer is the 'fake' number five, and should be ranked behind guys like Del-Potro,Tsonga,Berdych etc. Ferrer's legacy is built on beating weaker players (due to consistency) and at times obstructed younger players from developing, rather than winning major titles and taking his career to the next level. Actually he knows he cannot take his career to the next level, because he does not have the tools to do so. His so called 'great' slam results involve him beating no-one of note, apart from delpo and Murray on their worst surfaces. This flies under the radar, but Ferrer often gets easy draws all over the place.

I cant stand him
+1. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
If the guys you mention are going to win slams, they would first have to get past Ferrer. So far, they haven't. On ranking points and W-L record, Ferrer is rock solid at #5, totally deserving of his position by any yardstick - other than ''oh, but I don't like him''.
Yeah, Del Potro has to get past Ferrer to win a Slam. Oh wait, he doesn't, he's not a potential Slam winner but an actual Slam winner despite his young age and wrist surgery that threatened his career and sidelined him for a year. And Berdych and Tsonga (the other guys he mentions) have both played a Slam final despite being far younger than Ferrer, who never played one. In the rare occasions (3 in fact) where he reached semis, he was just a bye to the top player he faced, didn't even put up a fight.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #78
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer is a bit of one, but I can also understand him playing on tiny clay tourneys because he just likes them/the surface. I actually wish murray would play that swing one of these years so he'd acclimate to clay earlier.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #79
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Ferrer is a bit of one, but I can also understand him playing on tiny clay tourneys because he just likes them/the surface. I actually wish murray would play that swing one of these years so he'd acclimate to clay earlier.
Play them maybe and jib the IW/Miami swing off completely. Those bone crushing, mega slow hardcourts do nothing for his body or his game and it's no wonder he's given half arsed efforts there the last few years.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #80
country flag delpiero7

delpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people here seem to think that the smaller 250 events should be a breeding ground for up and coming talent rather than for those that have established themselves on the tour.

FACT: The ATP 250 events are not a playground for youngsters who are incapable of beating anybody of any distinction in other tournaments to go and beat up on each other, as well as older guys who have spent the majority of their careers struggling in challengers.

Quote:
Just to demonstrate how little you know, here is Ferrer's record against the next seven players in the rankings.

Tsonga 1-1
Tipsarevic 2-1
Berdych 5-3
Del Potro 5-2
Almagro 10-0
Isner 3-1
Simon 4-1

Now, on what would you justify your statement that Ferrer should be ranked behind guys he beats? Seems this shows clearly that it is not the easy points he collected that took him to number 5 in the world, but a WINNING RECORD against everybody below him.
delpiero7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #81
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Play them maybe and jib the IW/Miami swing off completely. Those bone crushing, mega slow hardcourts do nothing for his body or his game and it's no wonder he's given half arsed efforts there the last few years.
I never understood why there are hard court masters after Australia. That should be the end of the hard court season.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #82
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post

Yeah, Del Potro has to get past Ferrer to win a Slam. Oh wait, he doesn't, he's not a potential Slam winner but an actual Slam winner despite his young age and wrist surgery that threatened his career and sidelined him for a year. And Berdych and Tsonga (the other guys he mentions) have both played a Slam final despite being far younger than Ferrer, who never played one. In the rare occasions (3 in fact) where he reached semis, he was just a bye to the top player he faced, didn't even put up a fight.
Well, Del Potro has met Ferrer twice in a Slam - and lost. So, when they meet in a Slam, Ferrer wins. Del Potro can't get past him. Berdych, we don't know, but the win-loss record suggests Ferrer would be the winner.
Tsonga has beaten Ferrer once in a slam, but their rankings position is almost equal.

So in conclusion, I was not talking about how far any of them can go, I was talking about getting past Ferrer if they met in a slam. DelPo, so far, is not up to the task.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #83
country flag delpiero7

delpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, Del Potro has met Ferrer twice in a Slam - and lost. So, when they meet in a Slam, Ferrer wins. Del Potro can't get past him. Berdych, we don't know, but the win-loss record suggests Ferrer would be the winner.
Tsonga has beaten Ferrer once in a slam, but their rankings position is almost equal.

So in conclusion, I was not talking about how far any of them can go, I was talking about getting past Ferrer if they met in a slam. DelPo, so far, is not up to the task.
Precisely. As much as I am a massive fan of Del Potro over Ferrer, the way he got owned by Ferrer at Wimbledon was nothing short of shameful for somebody who harbours of getting back to the big time.

Last edited by delpiero7 : 07-11-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #84
country flag RFMatt

RFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond reputeRFMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
I never understood why there are hard court masters after Australia. That should be the end of the hard court season.
It also makes me wonder why the grass court season is so short (and there are no masters 1000s on grass).
RFMatt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #85
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Raonic, plays the likes of Chennai, San Jose, Memphis, Newport to get MM points and then can't do anything is slams. Only 225 of he points comes from slams, points whore
Raonic reached the round of 32 in Australia and Roland Garros. He did not reach the round of 16. His ranking is #23. Going out in the round of 32 is exactly what his ranking predicted he would do. Do you have a problem with that?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #86
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
Precisely. As much as I am a massive fan of Del Potro over Ferrer, the way he got owned by Ferrer at Wimbledon was nothing short of shameful.
It is not about reality here, but about fanboys and their circuit faves.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #87
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No, you said that if these guys wanted to win a Slam, first they had to get past Ferrer, which is clearly false. Each of them is far more likely than Ferrer to win a Slam than Ferrer despite being ranked below him at the moment.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #88
country flag delpiero7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
No, you said that if these guys wanted to win a Slam, first they had to get past Ferrer, which is clearly false. Each of them is far more likely than Ferrer to win a Slam than Ferrer despite being ranked below him at the moment.
With Delpo being the exception because he already won a slam and was ranked ahead of Ferrer after doing so, the other guys have to actually win a slam before they deserve to be ranked ahead of Ferrer. Otherwise they still have the same number of slam titles as Ferrer himself.

Take Berdych for example. He may have reached a final, but he has also lost in R1 of at least one slam every year since 2004 (with the exception of 2006). In 2009 and 2010 he finished in the top 8, and looks like he will do so again this year, despite a couple of horrific slam results. Would you rather a player turned up playing their best for only slam tournament a year (and even then not winning it), or consistently playing their best tennis (or somewhere very close to it) in every single tournament they enter, whether it be a slam or a $10k futures?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #89
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see Lopez was a wild card in Bogota. I suspect they pleaded with him to come and add a ''name'' to the draw.

And anyway, as you can see from the post above about Ferrer, some innocent fanboys write about how undeserving he is of his ranking, without even stopping to look at his record against lesser-ranked players.
No, i think he really wanted to play, there is a reason why he wasn't on the entry list. a top 20 or top 30, but it think its top 20 cannot enter a challenger directly they can only enter by a wild card.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #90
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
With Delpo being the exception because he already won a slam and was ranked ahead of Ferrer after doing so, the other guys have to actually win a slam before they deserve to be ranked ahead of Ferrer. Otherwise they still have the same number of slam titles as Ferrer himself.
This thread could just as easily be about slam vultures, who try hard for a couple of weeks a year when there are big point payoffs, but laze around the rest of the year not giving a full effort.

As I said, it does not matter what is being discussed, in the end it comes down to fanboys praising their faves and finding reasons to hate the others.