what if tennis was never invented?? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #31
country flag Sniperdoggy

Sniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what if tennis was never invented??

I never knew this about him. That's hilarious and so unlike how hardworking he is on court (and probably off as well)

what you said and I bet he'd miss those big paychecks so lucky for him he came back!!
Sniperdoggy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #32
country flag EnriqueIG8
Som i Serem

EnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond repute

Small recap of Ferru's story

Quote:
Most importantly, by recovering from many periods of self-doubt. The worst came in 1999, when Ferrer had a long phase when results would not come, and hard questions were being asked about his future.

It was obvious to his coach Javier Piles as he watched the young man arrive on his little motorcycle each morning that his commitment was waning. In an attempt to restore it Piles employed some controversially medieval measures.

"When he didn't want to work I would put him in a dark room, two by two metres, and I would place a lock on it so he couldn't get out," Piles is reported as saying.

"It was the room where we stored tennis balls. I would tell him that his working schedule was from 9 to 12 and that if he didn't want to work he would remain inside there, punished.

“I would give him a piece of bread and a bottle of water through the bars of a small window. After a few minutes we could hear David asking other trainers for help to get out but they wouldn't pay any attention."

Supporters of such tough punishment have occasionally described it as a metaphor for Ferrer's potential. Many knew his promise, no one had unlocked it.

And it really seemed that it was all over. A disenchanted Ferrer hung up his rackets and, almost unbelievably, took a job as a construction worker.

"I wanted to quit tennis, but didn't want to give up going out with my friends,” Ferrer explained. “So my father told me that if I needed money for fun, I should make it myself, working."

It was then that he gained a broader perspective upon the world. Seven days spent loading bricks into a wheelbarrow, from sunrise to sunset, left him exhausted and just 30 euros better off. It changed his attitude completely.

"In one week I learned to value many things,” Ferrer says. “When you are only 17 and have doubts about your future that is difficult to achieve.”

Next week Ferrer called Piles and said he wanted to get back on court the following morning. He did - at 9 am sharp.

Former #1 in FITD (Titles: 11 / US Open 2009 + MS Shanghai 2010 + MS Cincinatti 2011 champion)
also: Bangkok 2008, Sydney 2009, Acapulco 2009, Dubai 2009, Bĺstad 2009, Stockholm 2009, Eastbourne 2010 & Auckland 2013

Former #1 in Suicide Tennis (Titles: 2 / Won: 7)
#89 in TT Singles (Titles: 3 / CH Ortisei 2010, CH Bratislava 2010 & CH Mons 2012) | ATP Zagreb F 2013
#74 in TT Doubles (Titles: 6 / CH Rome 2011 + CH Ostrava 2011 w. vn01, CH Madrid 2012 w. Rodrigol_87, CH Sheffield 2013 w. sdtoot & CH Rome 2013 + CH Bordeaux 2013 w. Sonj1989)
EnriqueIG8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #33
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"When he didn't want to work I would put him in a dark room, two by two metres, and I would place a lock on it so he couldn't get out," Piles is reported as saying.

"It was the room where we stored tennis balls. I would tell him that his working schedule was from 9 to 12 and that if he didn't want to work he would remain inside there, punished.

“I would give him a piece of bread and a bottle of water through the bars of a small window. After a few minutes we could hear David asking other trainers for help to get out but they wouldn't pay any attention."
Oh. My. God.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #34
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
Most of them are well off to begin with, so I'm doubting the Burger King and Mcdonald's answers. Probably something their parents force them to do.

I'd be interested to see what happened to a player like Sharapova who came from nothing.
Ivan Dodig had less.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #35
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

if tennis was never invented, then Federer would have invented a game called tenis and became world #1 for a long time while piling up 16 of the most prestigious tenis titles whatever he wanted to call them

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #36
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Oh. My. God.
MTE, that's horrible
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #37
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

Poor David-but I would have felt even worse if Javier Piles had just given up on him. I would have missed out on seeing one of my favorite players.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #38
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Rafael Nadal v Toni Nadal. Child Abuse Case in High Court of Mallorca.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #39
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

Toni definitely treated Rafa horribly. Some of his behavior was not only nasty, but could have endangered Rafa's health as well. I am always afraid of what Uncle Toni will do to Rafa when he gets him alone. In the stands, he has a perpetually disgruntled, almost constipated look on his face.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #40
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully it involves pliers and a blowtorch