S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
I think you are being very stupid by asking me questions when I asked you a question first. Answer straight please.
It seemed straight forward to me. Why spend whatever Wimbledon spent on a roof that might be used once or twice a year? It just doesn't make sense, and no matter how impatient a few fans are on the internet, the majority of people in the world can wait an hour if it rains, they don't need there to be a roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
I think we have to number our stupid questions here

I will answer you anyway.

A: I would not go to Hawaii because of threat of Volcanos. Instead I would go to Florida every year and I would buy a house there
That was the answer to his stupid question about roofs haha. Good answer still.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
country flag TheTennisFanatic

TheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK View Post
SQ #2...Why the scoring in a game is 15/30/40 and how it was created?
I can't remember the source but I remember reading somewhere that in the beginning they used to score matches using an analog clock. So the scored went 0..15..30..45..60(game). Soon they realized that they needed to make it so that a player can't win a game with just a one point difference and the scoring was modified to 0..15..30..40.(50).60(game). Later people started calling 40 all as deuce and 50 as adv.

Last edited by TheTennisFanatic : 07-02-2012 at 07:48 PM.
TheTennisFanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
That was the answer to his stupid question about roofs haha. Good answer still.
I know

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It seemed straight forward to me. Why spend whatever Wimbledon spent on a roof that might be used once or twice a year? It just doesn't make sense, and no matter how impatient a few fans are on the internet, the majority of people in the world can wait an hour if it rains, they don't need there to be a roof.
Affirmative, Colonel Snowwy.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK View Post
SQ #2...Why the scoring in a game is 15/30/40 and how it was created?
The people who created tennis weren't smart, they tried to count by 15's, however they couldn't count past 40, so instead of going to 45 they went to 40, and instead of a number for the win they just called it game.

Hence 15/30/40/game

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTennisFanatic View Post
Later people started calling 40 all as deuce and 45 as adv.
Almost. 50 was the adv. The equal distance between 40 and 60.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SQ # 4: Why is getting roofs for all major slam courts (3 show courts in every slam) not possible considering the organizations that rule each slam have plenty of money? Shouldn't it have been done by now?
Isn't RG going to build a roof for Chatrier? At least I think USA's slam has more stable position than France's, France might lose their slam unless they do what ITF or TV channels want. USO are also going to improve the venue but they'll build a new bigger stadium court to replace Louis Armstrong Stadium instead of building a roof for Arthur Ashe Stadium, maybe to get more ticket revenue. I don't think roof was necessary for Wimby's CC, I think they have a very stable position in Tour. Maybe they just wanted to be modern in something.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
country flag TheTennisFanatic

TheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Almost. 50 was the adv. The equal distance between 40 and 60.
Oh yeah that makes more sense, thanks for correcting.
TheTennisFanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Say you had tons of money and each year you went to Hawaii for two weeks, do you buy a home in Hawaii or do you rent a super nice one each year and hope it is available the next year?
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Yet one more question about roofs, how long it takes at Halle to continue playing? Wikipedia says roof takes 88 seconds to get closed but does it take more time before play can continue? Anyway, it takes less time than at Wimbledon, but why? I don't believe the explanation of Wimbledon's bigger Centre Court as CC has 15,000 seats and Gerry Weber Stadion has 12,300, so Gerry Weber Stadion is also a big arena. Might Halle's arena be less indoor-like than Wimby's CC when the roof is closed? This is the best pic of Halle's roof I've found:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26889...=kh.google.com

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks HC and August.

SQ # 4: Why is getting roofs for all major slam courts (3 show courts in every slam) not possible considering the organizations that rule each slam have plenty of money? Shouldn't it have been done by now?
Artur Ashe is a lot bigger than all other Slam arenas and a roof would too heavy for the rather soft ground below the stadium. Building a roof for Louis Armstrong has been ruled out because of ticket holder issues, you sell 20,000 tickets for an AA match, you cannot really move it to LA that only takes half. Of course, AO had a roof for Vodafone/Hisense before they got a roof for Rod Laver so I don't consider that excuse valid.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
country flag Regenbogen

Regenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond repute

SQ #6: is the problem with condensation or whatever on hardcourt if you use covers during rain delays seriously worse than all the water they have to squeegee off after a downpour? I can't believe that covers wouldn't at least save an extra step, even though you couldn't go back to playing immediately.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The cost was 100 million £, that is approximately 3 times the annual profit of the tournament so the roof was not particularly expensive given it will probably be used for the next 50 years.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #30
country flag bjurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenbogen View Post
SQ #6: is the problem with condensation or whatever on hardcourt if you use covers during rain delays seriously worse than all the water they have to squeegee off after a downpour? I can't believe that covers wouldn't at least save an extra step, even though you couldn't go back to playing immediately.
Combine covers with fans and good drainage and I think you would reduce time wasting a lot.