Articles & interviews - Page 57 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #841
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,938
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Gilles was playing Future events in Europe 9 years ago, in 2003. Checked his play activities and he was playing Futures in Europe 2003 and 2004, not at the level to travel overseas to play challenger yet which is a higher level. That Sloane Stephens quote made me mad, the press love such accusation, just perfect for their agenda to make him out as a evil person. So do they care to check the fact, no, of course not. Who cares if it's not true, who cares if Stephens remembers someone else not Gilles cos it's been 9 years and she was only 10. And just like you said, Mike, how many players has hit a ball in anger before? if he hit it at a ballgirl, he would have been defaulted immediately. The fact that he's never been defaulted, means either 1: it wasn't intentional and the ball didn't hit her directly (cos if it wasn't intentional but the ball still hit a ballgirl directly, he would still have been defaulted all the same). 2: it wasn't him at all, since he's like an ocean away when Stephens got hit by the ball.

There were players who has bad reputation when it came to ball boys and girls, I don't want to name names, but I have never heard anything about Gilles not being nice to them. I watched Roddick's match and he always throw back the towel without watching and it often fell on the floor for the ball boy to pick up. Gilles always gave it back to them. And some players behave like a king on court, got served by ball boys for tiny little things. Gilles sometimes just put his empty bottles to the bin instead of looking around for a ballboy to do the job. This things are no big deal, but tiny gestures here and there do show character of a person.

Last edited by lalaland : 07-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #842
country flag misty1
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 21,935
misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

i said it before and ill say it now. I just wish he wouldnt have said anything. I respect him and i do love him for being so oppinionated but by answering this question he's brought off of this attention and hate on him.

you could make the point that that women shouldnt get paid as much as the men.Its been proven that they can play best of 5 sets though so i dont know why they dont now, maybe they simply dont want to. However would the issue of equal pay be solved by forcing them to play 5 sets? and do people who want the women to play best of 5 sets realise that if they did then the grand slams would be stretched to nearly a month in length to complete?. Moving to best of 5 might shut some people up but then you;d still have those who complain that the womens tennis quality still wouldnt be increased and that now they are just taking to long to finish a match

Also at the same time i ask the question - do you think an atp player that gets blown off the court deserves equal pay to the other guys that might spend double the time he did? Should alberta ramos for example get an equal amount ot prize money to tommy haas or johanna konta for their round 1 matches here?
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #843
country flag Gilloulou
Registered User
 
Gilloulou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 352
Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
He based his equal pay arguments on economic factors, not on gender. He said Women tennis is not as attractive, that's definitely a matter of opinion, and a lot agree with him and a lot don't.[/i]
well, i'm not on simon's side on this one. i'll try to make it short but that's probably impossible. i don't think that pulling the "economic argument" means that it is a valid "natural argument". economy is based a lot on assumptions, and as you said, claiming that Women tennis is not as attractive is certainly a matter of opinion, not a fact of nature.

i admit, can't really stand women's tennis nowadays. but is that a reason to pay them less to be pros? i doubt it. simon feels comfortable hiding behind that obscure economic value, but where does he get the whole info that women's tennis is not profitable? and why not take it 1 step further? how many people would actually pay to see him play? as a die hard fan i can say not a lot. probably not more than the average WTA player ranked parallel to him and perhaps even less. so, basing it on this "economic argument" - that i don't "feel" he can attract a lot of crowd, he should be making probably less money than he does today.

let's take it another notch. Federer, Nadal and even Djoko and Murray are subsidising Simon's profits. in that same "economic argument", Simon has to set aside a portion of that money to them. why base the decision simply on gender if we are talking about economy?

Nadal and Djoko played the Rome final, 2 sets in 2 and a half hours if i remember correctly. so, should they be paid more because the match lasted longer? Federe's matches are shorter on Avg than the rest. should he be taxed for that? what should we conclude about it? that tennis is an hourly paid job and therefor the players who take more time on the court should be paid more, by the hour? one might claim that for the sake of equality, women should play a 5 setter in GS. however, that's a moral decision. not so long ago a lot of the masters were best of 5 in the finals. it was cancelled, probably for TV and other commercial stuff, thus, the economy. was that a sportive decision? are prize money any lower now? don't think so. once again, the "economic argument" is mixed with other agendas. tennis in general is a sport and so the salaries are not determined by the amount of time you spend on court, it derives from the level you are able to reach and the amount of people taking interest - regardless if it's in a long tennis season or a very short NFL season. again, in terms of equality, one could ask for women to play 5 sets in GS. in that same perspective, men can play best of 3. prize money shouldn't alternate massively because of that.

not so long ago, women's tennis had Venus and Serena, Justin and Kim, Maurasmo, Devenport, Capriati here and there - on the men's side things were pretty dull, you know, Federer. today, the WTA is probably at a low point. still, things could change. are we going to to ruin the only sport in world that at the moment pays equal prize money and can produce house hold icons like Serena and Maria because of what? in a couple of years who know, the WTA can be on the rise again and the ATP in the slumps. so should we pass the money back and forth based on our ideas and thoughts of what is "good and proper" tennis? i'm sorry, but the world is not fair to women, and every person is infected with it, well almost. yes, myself included. however, the fact that women's tennis is as successful and is able to pay players and make women as famous as men is a blessed thing. one should only hope that other sports follow. as for the WTA situation today, they certainly have a big problem there, but it's a management and leadership problem and i'm sure it's a question of tides and lows.

few things i can agree is that joint events probably crowded, they should answer that problem if most players feel that. again, didn't hear Roger complaining about it but that's not the point anyway. and that players should earn more money in early rounds, especially in smaller tournaments. Tipsi had a valid point: in NBA, the players get 51% or so if the revenue. in tennis only 13%. if you want to pick up a fight, that's where you need to go, not bashing the women tour.

p.s. in all this argument, i still think he was very unwise to vocal his opinion on equal pay. some questions, especially in his status, are better left unanswered. nothing brave about it, just immature.

well, hope no one gets too pissed off that i don't take Simon's side, i just feel very disappointed with this. still, if anyone knows how to get a practice session with him, please lemme know
Gilloulou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #844
country flag misty1
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 21,935
misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

gilles will make the argument that male matches attract more of an audfience than womens matches . However the match with milos and sam had alot of empty seats in it a couple days ago, the match with sabine and sloane had a bigger audience

so really you go away from a match involving the top players and you still have an apparent lack of interest..and raonic is one of the biggest rising stars on the atp tour
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #845
country flag Gilloulou
Registered User
 
Gilloulou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 352
Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

i agree misty, i'm sure he doesnt have the accurate stats. and even if there is a gap, i doubt it's something perpetual.
Gilloulou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #846
country flag mike s.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 28
Posts: 859
mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
well, i'm not on simon's side on this one. i'll try to make it short but that's probably impossible. i don't think that pulling the "economic argument" means that it is a valid "natural argument". economy is based a lot on assumptions, and as you said, claiming that Women tennis is not as attractive is certainly a matter of opinion, not a fact of nature.

i admit, can't really stand women's tennis nowadays. but is that a reason to pay them less to be pros? i doubt it. simon feels comfortable hiding behind that obscure economic value, but where does he get the whole info that women's tennis is not profitable? and why not take it 1 step further? how many people would actually pay to see him play? as a die hard fan i can say not a lot. probably not more than the average WTA player ranked parallel to him and perhaps even less. so, basing it on this "economic argument" - that i don't "feel" he can attract a lot of crowd, he should be making probably less money than he does today.

let's take it another notch. Federer, Nadal and even Djoko and Murray are subsidising Simon's profits. in that same "economic argument", Simon has to set aside a portion of that money to them. why base the decision simply on gender if we are talking about economy?

Nadal and Djoko played the Rome final, 2 sets in 2 and a half hours if i remember correctly. so, should they be paid more because the match lasted longer? Federe's matches are shorter on Avg than the rest. should he be taxed for that? what should we conclude about it? that tennis is an hourly paid job and therefor the players who take more time on the court should be paid more, by the hour? one might claim that for the sake of equality, women should play a 5 setter in GS. however, that's a moral decision. not so long ago a lot of the masters were best of 5 in the finals. it was cancelled, probably for TV and other commercial stuff, thus, the economy. was that a sportive decision? are prize money any lower now? don't think so. once again, the "economic argument" is mixed with other agendas. tennis in general is a sport and so the salaries are not determined by the amount of time you spend on court, it derives from the level you are able to reach and the amount of people taking interest - regardless if it's in a long tennis season or a very short NFL season. again, in terms of equality, one could ask for women to play 5 sets in GS. in that same perspective, men can play best of 3. prize money shouldn't alternate massively because of that.

not so long ago, women's tennis had Venus and Serena, Justin and Kim, Maurasmo, Devenport, Capriati here and there - on the men's side things were pretty dull, you know, Federer. today, the WTA is probably at a low point. still, things could change. are we going to to ruin the only sport in world that at the moment pays equal prize money and can produce house hold icons like Serena and Maria because of what? in a couple of years who know, the WTA can be on the rise again and the ATP in the slumps. so should we pass the money back and forth based on our ideas and thoughts of what is "good and proper" tennis? i'm sorry, but the world is not fair to women, and every person is infected with it, well almost. yes, myself included. however, the fact that women's tennis is as successful and is able to pay players and make women as famous as men is a blessed thing. one should only hope that other sports follow. as for the WTA situation today, they certainly have a big problem there, but it's a management and leadership problem and i'm sure it's a question of tides and lows.

few things i can agree is that joint events probably crowded, they should answer that problem if most players feel that. again, didn't hear Roger complaining about it but that's not the point anyway. and that players should earn more money in early rounds, especially in smaller tournaments. Tipsi had a valid point: in NBA, the players get 51% or so if the revenue. in tennis only 13%. if you want to pick up a fight, that's where you need to go, not bashing the women tour.

p.s. in all this argument, i still think he was very unwise to vocal his opinion on equal pay. some questions, especially in his status, are better left unanswered. nothing brave about it, just immature.

well, hope no one gets too pissed off that i don't take Simon's side, i just feel very disappointed with this. still, if anyone knows how to get a practice session with him, please lemme know
No worries at all, I think it's normal that people disagree with him. I've disagreed with many things he's said over the years. My problem is that people don't allow for disagreement anymore and just turn to personal attacks when someone says something that they don't agree with. He didn't say anything that was evil or unreasonable so I haven't understood the hate. If people handled their disagreement like you did, the world would be a better place.
__________________
Gilles Simon-Roger Federer
mike s. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #847
country flag Gilloulou
Registered User
 
Gilloulou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 352
Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

thanks S. that was very nice of you :]
Gilloulou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #848
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,938
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
well, i'm not on simon's side on this one. i'll try to make it short but that's probably impossible. i don't think that pulling the "economic argument" means that it is a valid "natural argument". economy is based a lot on assumptions, and as you said, claiming that Women tennis is not as attractive is certainly a matter of opinion, not a fact of nature.
Well, you don't agree that economic argument is the "natural arguement". I suppose you mean it is not the only argument? Because if you mean it is not a valid argument, then why not? Every other sport is paying their players by this little economic fact, it is how the world works, well, at least it's how the capitalistic world works. Why should tennis operates on something other than economic function. Tell me what business doesn't run based on an economic functions? Non-profit? Should tennis be run as a non-profit then?

What is a fact of nature anyway? Why is not any other sports ever follow this fact of nature except tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
i admit, can't really stand women's tennis nowadays. but is that a reason to pay them less to be pros? i doubt it. simon feels comfortable hiding behind that obscure economic value, but where does he get the whole info that women's tennis is not profitable? and why not take it 1 step further? how many people would actually pay to see him play? as a die hard fan i can say not a lot. probably not more than the average WTA player ranked parallel to him and perhaps even less. so, basing it on this "economic argument" - that i don't "feel" he can attract a lot of crowd, he should be making probably less money than he does today.
Claiming Women tennis is not attractive is a matter of opinion, and that opinion is based on the fact that:
1: in GS, SF and F, there's a different pricing structure for Men and Women, Men matches ask for higher price. I can safely say that Men generates more overall then Women just based on this pricing scheme.
2: ATP tournaments has higher prize money than WTA tournaments. I can only imagine ATP has higher revenue, cos more ppl pay to come to watch Men events. Otherwise, what else? If ATP tournaments bring in the same revenue than WTA tournament but they pay more to the players, then shouldn't ppl be accusing the WTA tournaments as abusing the WTA players by not giving them their fair share?

These 2 are facts that helps to form the opinion. There is no one that counts every match to tell you that Men tennis are more attractive, but the pricing system is clear to tell you that which product sells better than the other. Of course you can decide to ignore these 2 facts to form your opinion.

If Federer said what Simon said, does it make the exact same argument more valid? Men's match are more attractive than Women's match cos Fed said so. Because Federer's popularity is no comparison to anyone, not even Maria. Simon said it so you compare his match to other WTA's matches. But if Federer said it, do you compare Federer's match to Maria's and said, okay, you are right, Men's more attractive than Women's because Fed's match is more watched than Maria's. And now that Tsonga, Roddick, Murray's and others had said they agree with Gilles, do you compare each one of this player to their WTA counterpart to determine if their opinion is valid or not? Why would that be then if a different person said the exact same argument that would make it more valid? It means, that you are basing the argument on an invalid factor (that is comparing that individual to another individual). Then you say: "but Federer didn't say what Simon said. That is not the point, because the point I'm trying to make is, if you want to argue individual player against individual player, then compare Simon to any other players of your choice, but you are turning this argument into something else other than what is being discussed here, because the only conclusion for comparing Simon to any other players is that his match isn't as attractive, it doesn't extend to Men's. The discussion is Men tennis vs Women tennis, the exact claim is "Men tennis is more attractive than Women", NOT "any other women's match is more attractive than Simon's". I can argue that same fact, since I am not a player, you cannot compare me to any other women player, does it automatically invalidate my argument? No. It doesn't. Why? Because we are not comparing individual, we are comparing 2 groups Men and Women. Hence, yours or mine's opinion can be equally sound if we have the supporting elements, even if no one in their right mind will ever watch me play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
let's take it another notch. Federer, Nadal and even Djoko and Murray are subsidising Simon's profits. in that same "economic argument", Simon has to set aside a portion of that money to them. why base the decision simply on gender if we are talking about economy?
Are the top players subsidizing the lower ranks like Simon? Could be. But if the lower rank doesn't exist, then the top players won't either. Can you run a calendar of 52 weeks with like over 100 tournaments and play a format of Top 8 in every one of them? Can you hold a 2 weeks slam and not have 128 players playing? If the lower ranks weren't there to lose to the big boys. If they only has a rank system of 1 to 10 and no more. Does it sound as impressive when you said I'm #1. It is true that ppl come to watch the big guys, but the big guys need the lower rank players, that is obvious. Besides, they are getting paid a lot more than the lower ranks anyway. The small tournaments pay appearance fees to big guys to headline the show. The big tournaments don't, but they show up anyway cos they are required. So what does this little fact that Top players need lower ranks to make a show has anything to do with that economic argument , you ask? If doesn't. That's exactly the point. The Top ranks helping out the low ranks has nothing to do with Men's tennis helping out Women tennis, because Top Men needs the little guys to exist, Men tennis doesn't need Women tennis to exist. So you are once again comparing apple to orange (just does the previous pt of comparing individual against individual VS Men against Women as a group).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
Nadal and Djoko played the Rome final, 2 sets in 2 and a half hours if i remember correctly. so, should they be paid more because the match lasted longer? Federe's matches are shorter on Avg than the rest. should he be taxed for that? what should we conclude about it? that tennis is an hourly paid job and therefor the players who take more time on the court should be paid more, by the hour? one might claim that for the sake of equality, women should play a 5 setter in GS. however, that's a moral decision. not so long ago a lot of the masters were best of 5 in the finals. it was cancelled, probably for TV and other commercial stuff, thus, the economy. was that a sportive decision? are prize money any lower now? don't think so. once again, the "economic argument" is mixed with other agendas. tennis in general is a sport and so the salaries are not determined by the amount of time you spend on court, it derives from the level you are able to reach and the amount of people taking interest - regardless if it's in a long tennis season or a very short NFL season. again, in terms of equality, one could ask for women to play 5 sets in GS. in that same perspective, men can play best of 3. prize money shouldn't alternate massively because of that.
Gilles already said that number of sets or length isn’t the point. It is not about how long each match was played, he also said he is not asking the women to play 5 sets. But then he said it is not his mission to change the equal pay scheme, but no one seems to care either but continue to accuse him of having a greedy agenda. So I guess it doesn’t matter what Gilles has said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
not so long ago, women's tennis had Venus and Serena, Justin and Kim, Maurasmo, Devenport, Capriati here and there - on the men's side things were pretty dull, you know, Federer. today, the WTA is probably at a low point. still, things could change. are we going to to ruin the only sport in world that at the moment pays equal prize money and can produce house hold icons like Serena and Maria because of what? in a couple of years who know, the WTA can be on the rise again and the ATP in the slumps. so should we pass the money back and forth based on our ideas and thoughts of what is "good and proper" tennis? i'm sorry, but the world is not fair to women, and every person is infected with it, well almost. yes, myself included. however, the fact that women's tennis is as successful and is able to pay players and make women as famous as men is a blessed thing. one should only hope that other sports follow. as for the WTA situation today, they certainly have a big problem there, but it's a management and leadership problem and i'm sure it's a question of tides and lows.
It’s funny, Wimby and AO just recently became equal pay, when the era of Women tennis in a slump. But anyway, that’s not a point, just my observation. Now the 4 slams are equal pay, and no talks is going to reverse it. And once again, Simon said it is not his mission to have it changed. And once again, this whole controversy wasn’t started because Gilles wants Men to get pay more, it started bcos of his one line, that "Rome became a joint event to help out Women", and he said it against joint event, not attacking equal pay. It is because that got blown up so much by the media that he has to keep explaining the nuts and bolts of economic to defend why he thinks that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
few things i can agree is that joint events probably crowded, they should answer that problem if most players feel that. again, didn't hear Roger complaining about it but that's not the point anyway. and that players should earn more money in early rounds, especially in smaller tournaments. Tipsi had a valid point: in NBA, the players get 51% or so if the revenue. in tennis only 13%. if you want to pick up a fight, that's where you need to go, not bashing the women tour.
Federer doesn’t complain, if you have read up what it’s been around, the players said Fed isn’t too concern of their welfare enough. He is still the chairman of ATP players council though. Because you know why? Bcos other players has no weight if they have to negotiate with the tournaments. Did anyone besides the L’Equipe reported what else Simon said about the tour? The things the players want change: LL rule, 2014 calendars, grass season duration? No. If Fed has said that, what do u think? It’s all over every single paper out there. The players council needs Fed’s weight, but he never talk on behalf of the lower ranks. Besides, Federer doesn’t face the same problem the lower ranked players face. Do you think Federer will have any trouble getting a training court? He practices on Center Court, not that court that Sloane Stephens practice on. Again, Gilles is not going against the slam, he is concerned about the trend of tournaments becoming joint event. Canada Open is about to be one, after Rome has just been changed to one. It creates problem for the “nobodies”, not the superstars. And unfortunately, there is a lot more nobodies than superstar in the tour. And Gilles got the idea of representing them and speak up for them because he has accepted his elected position of the player council. I’m not saying it’s noble, I’m saying he is taking his responsibility seriously, and he does have the other lower ranks ppl in mind. Federer has too much to lose to touch on such a sensitive issue. A little bit of prize money difference is not much to the potential of losing a portion of his sponsors, since his income % is about 20% from prize money and 80% from sponsors. A change in prize money only helps out the little guy, who needs the money to get a coach or a physio or simply to pay the airfare. To say that the prize money issue has very little impact to the big guys than the small guys is not an opinion, it's a fact. And in fact it's probably very little impact to Simon than to 100 ranked player.

And the players had already been fighting that % payout thing, where have you been? The pay rate of 13% is not going to go up to 50% any time soon, or ever. But GS has already increased their % starting FO, and I think they will keep talking and putting pressure to make the % to go up bit by bit. Tipsy also said Women tennis don’t deserve equal pay because Women players are fat and lazy, now there’s a sexist when you see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
p.s. in all this argument, i still think he was very unwise to vocal his opinion on equal pay. some questions, especially in his status, are better left unanswered. nothing brave about it, just immature.
Honestly, I cannot stand ppl saying that he should shut up because he is a nobody. I mean, if Federer or Nadal said the same thing, it is an opinion of value? but if Simon said it is not? What is that? Are we still living under Feudalism? And it’s just ironic to think that those ask for equal pay for Men and Women because they think every gender should be equal, yet they think Simon is not equal to a higher profile player because he is a nobody. Now if it’s not double standard then I don’t know what it is, maybe we can call it selective discrimination then.

Do I have preferred that he didn't say anything at all to begin with? Yes if and only if it was his agenda to have this talk in order to gain financially, because he has too little to gain to take all these criticisms. But I believe it was not his agenda to gain anything, that he simply said that because that's what the Men's opinion is, and he said without considering the PC of it. He is always known to be not afraid to speak his mind. This is in line with his character to say sth even if that sth is a Taboo. He criticizes Forget in DC knowing that Forget is his boss and the only thing he could gain from that talk is a place in the doghouse. Love him or hate him, but he is not the one who will just keep quiet to save his own skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
well, hope no one gets too pissed off that i don't take Simon's side, i just feel very disappointed with this. still, if anyone knows how to get a practice session with him, please lemme know
I’m not pissed at all. I’m glad you said all that, cos obviously I still have a lot in my chest that I need to vent. I thank for the opportunity to elaborate more. And finally, good luck, I hope you got to practice with Gilles and come back and tell us all about it.

Last edited by lalaland : 07-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #849
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,938
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

I am not at all against Equal Pay in tennis. I'm against ppl who thinks if you are against equal pay, you must be some kind of moron/sexist. I do not believe Equal Pay in tennis is fair, because to me Women's tennis is no comparison to Men's. That is not because I'm a moron or sexist, that's because I too am a person that thinks the market operates on economic functions. On the other hands, I think equal pay is an issue bigger than economic, and equal pay in tennis is a lot more on a gender platform than on an economic one. I have no problem with that. It is there and it shouldn't be changed.

All I have been pointing out is, Simon said he has also been making his points based on economic factors. You don't have to agree with his statistic or perceptions, but you cannot say it is not a valid point to be considered. If you argue by Women's tennis is actually more attractive and get more revenue, that does not invalidate the economic factors, in fact you are agreeing with him that economic is a factor by citing a parallel example with just different data. If you want to throw economic out of the equation, then you are operating on a gender platform, which is also a platform, just not the same as his, which is quite okay. But by doing that, you should also be big enough to accept that the issue can be argue in various platforms, economics or ideology.

And lastly, if you think his economic facts are incorrect, based on your eyeballing a particular match that you happen to witness, that's fine. But your point is no different than his then. Cos you accuse him of not having all the right facts, then can you say that your fact is all correct just based on what you have eyeballed? No, you can't. So while you invalidate his points, you are also invalidated your own points. So I am just wanting to point out how not objective ppl's argument are when they accuse Simon's argument of being subjective and not at all correct.

Bottomline is, why is it not okay to argument an issue when the argument is based on economics anyway? To me, ppl generally just don't think EP should be argued at all because it is not the economic factors that determine equal pay, hence, it's a Taboo. If that's the case, then does that kind of make the point that equal pay doesn't work in economic term? Because if economics data supports equal pay then for sure they will have no problem using it as a supporting data, don't you think? Because in any other industries, that is exactly what is being used to demand Equal Pay, that if women generate the same economic values to a company in any industry, then they should be paid equally. It is an economic argument whether you like it or not. This leaves us to argue whether or not it is true that women generate the same economic value or not, a valid argument nevertheless, in whatever industry including sports, no? The only disagreement that can occur is how do we measure economic values. From there, subjective measurement comes into play that varies the result. So back to Simon, he gave an argument that every Equal Pay activist has been using for the Equal Pay platform. It is only because Tennis is the only environment that Equal Pay exists and therefore, by raising this same argument, he is not labeled as a EP activist but rather a sexist moron. How ironic, to me anyway.

Last edited by lalaland : 07-01-2012 at 11:26 PM.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #850
country flag mike s.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 28
Posts: 859
mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Lalaland, I think we are on the exact same page on this issue and I agree with everything you said.

One thing we can all agree on is that it would be great for Gilles to move on from this, defend his title in Hamburg, and make a run at the Olympics. A medal seems impossible but crazy things have happened at almost every Olympics, so why not try to win a medal? I was looking at the Race and it appears as if he will be in the 12-14 range depending on some other results. So despite under-performing in the slams it really hasn't been a horrible season so far. If he can really put things together this summer, he'll be in great shape for a year-end top 10 ranking because he did absolutely nothing last year after the U.S. Open.

I hope he can move on now though and not be distracted. The problem is that knowing Gilles, he won't let this go. I know he won't bring it up himself, but he's going to be asked these questions in all of his interviews this summer, and he's going to continue answering because he doesn't know when to keep quiet Oh well, I'll always support him regardless of what other people think.
__________________
Gilles Simon-Roger Federer
mike s. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #851
country flag misty1
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 21,935
misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

he's going to be asked about this again, he's also probably going to be asked about the response of the female players like serena, maria and in particular sloane...i just hope he answers smartly
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #852
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,938
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Sooner or later, this controversy will past, I hope it's sooner, cos I'm tired of thinking about it. Except whenever I saw a point that I want to argue, I can't stop myself

As for defending Hamburg, I'm not all that optimistic, only because there's a factor that is not in his control, the condition. Last year, the tournament was played under a storm, it was cold and damp and indoor (they closed the roof), perfect condition for Gilles. In hot and fast clay like Nice, the bigger hitters like Almagro will blow him off court, but last year in Hamburg, the condtion neutralize Almagro's ball speed and give Gilles time to play more aggressively than Nico. I'm hoping this year another storm will come to Hamburg to help out .

Looking at the race now, he's still at 11, with Raonic and Isner closely behind. So he has to put the same points in term of performance on hard court to keep that 2 from pasting him, which is possible, hard court is his favorite after all and he has proved to play his best tennis on it before. As for the players in front, Tipsy is now at 10 with a 330 pts advantage. So if he can catch up with him to get the last spot on Top 10, that would be great. But it is a very hard task, Tipsy also is very good on hard. In fact, Tipsy is performed extra well on his weak surface clay this year. So he is having a career year on Top 10. I believe Gilles can past him, but he has to have consistent result for the rest of the season and not doing that disappearing act like he did last year after USO. Top 10 is still in sight and very achievable though.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #853
country flag mike s.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 28
Posts: 859
mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Yeah, I always say I want to move on but then I see something that makes me annoyed and I end up posting about it again.

Misty, I have complete faith that Gilles will answer smartly. Someone may disagree with the points he made but I thought he handled the press conference perfectly. He was already asked about Maria's comments and he handled them perfectly like I knew he would. He's one of the most thoughtful and articulate players on tour, he won't be caught off guard.

Yes, he might be asked about Sloane at some point (which I still doubt happened, I mean has anyone ever seen Gilles slam the ball near a ball-kid?) but even if it did happen, he probably wouldn't remember it unless there was a controversy at the time. He might not even know he hit her. I don't know what he could really say other than I'm sorry I hit her with the ball, I don't remember that happening, or that definitely didn't happen. He's not the type to say she should get over it after ten years even though he might be tempted.

Either way, I still think the whole thing is ridiculous even if it did happen because it has absolutely no relevance to anything being discussed. Some of the nicest people in the world have made mistakes on court when they were 18. The real issue was that the press was taking the word of someone who was ten years old at the time to try to do character assassination, when I'm not sure her perception of what happened is that reliable or how it shows in any way that he's sexist. I'm not sure how she would even remember, I really don't remember anything from when I was ten
__________________
Gilles Simon-Roger Federer
mike s. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #854
country flag Gilloulou
Registered User
 
Gilloulou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 352
Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

hehe lala, seems like you have a lot to vent, i'm glad i can be of any use ;]

well, i would like to respond to your comments, cause i feel i didn't convey the message clear enough. so i will try later on, if it's still in my bones.

but just for the last bit, i'm not saying he has no right to say his opinion, i'm just saying that it's not wise of him to elaborate so much because A) it's not his business arguing the EP issue. he is not on the WTA. B) if any of the top dog would argue that point it would have kept the debate much more on the subject. when Simon says he is against EP, naturally everyone will slash him. so all i am saying is why do this to yourself? you are asked a series of questions, be wise and say: "i'm not in a psoition to answer this question" and move on. i'd hate to see his career faulted cause of this unnecessary distraction. he should focus more on how to perform well on GS.

correct or not correct is not the issue. let someone else take the hot potato, be more concerned about winning first.
Gilloulou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #855
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,938
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
hehe lala, seems like you have a lot to vent, i'm glad i can be of any use ;]

well, i would like to respond to your comments, cause i feel i didn't convey the message clear enough. so i will try later on, if it's still in my bones.

but just for the last bit, i'm not saying he has no right to say his opinion, i'm just saying that it's not wise of him to elaborate so much because A) it's not his business arguing the EP issue. he is not on the WTA. B) if any of the top dog would argue that point it would have kept the debate much more on the subject. when Simon says he is against EP, naturally everyone will slash him. so all i am saying is why do this to yourself? you are asked a series of questions, be wise and say: "i'm not in a psoition to answer this question" and move on. i'd hate to see his career faulted cause of this unnecessary distraction. he should focus more on how to perform well on GS.

correct or not correct is not the issue. let someone else take the hot potato, be more concerned about winning first.
Okay. Thanks. I appreciate your view even if it's different from mine. Whatever my responses to your post, it wasn't personal, I was responding to the similar things other ppl has been saying, esp the part when they said Simon is a nobody and shouldn't speak up. But anyway, I do hope this past soon so I can talk about his tennis than anything else.

He addressed his mental handicap at the last itw when the journalist finally ask a question about his loss. And I like that the journalists also ask about his lack of production in GS. I'm sure he aware of it anyway, but it is a good thing that he gets reminded that this is what he gets measured, the GS results. This year is nothing but a disappointment. But with Gilles, I'm always confident that he is working on it to change things, even if it takes a long time for him to change it. The first 2 months of the year was a disaster and he dig deep and produce good result on his worse surface. I'm confident that this controversy will have no effect on his tennis whatsoever, well, that's what I hope anyway. We'll see what happens in 2 weeks when he show up at Hamburg.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios