What traits would make the ultimate tennis player? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Question What traits would make the ultimate tennis player?

I'm not sure if this has been done before but...
By each category put which CURRENT tennis player is the best at that trait. You cannot
repeat a player either!

Backhand-
Forehand-
Serve-
Speed(running)-
Slice-
Volleys-
Mental-
Craftiness-

Code:
Ex:Backhand- Djokovic
Forehand- Nadal
Serve- Raonic
Speed(running)- Phau
Slice- Federer
Volleys- Tsonga
Mental- Anderson
Craftiness- Simon

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What traits would make the ultimate tennis player?

Tsonga has better volleys than the likes of Llodra, Stepanek, Federer and Lopez?

Sure, his drop volleys are good in relation to the standard today but his drive volleys leave a lot to be desired.

And Mental-Anderson?

Backhand: Gasquet
Forehand: Soderling
Serve: Karlovic
Movement: Djokovic
Slice: Federer
Volley: Llodra
Mental: Isner
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Tsonga has better volleys than the likes of Llodra, Stepanek, Federer and Lopez?

Sure, his drop volleys are good in relation to the standard today but his drive volleys leave a lot to be desired.

And Mental-Anderson?

Backhand: Gasquet
Forehand: Soderling
Serve: Karlovic
Movement: Djokovic
Slice: Federer
Volley: Llodra
Mental: Isner
Yeah I think his volleys are better than Fed and Lopez atleast. But you're right about Llodra and Stepanek.
And I've never seen Anderson really break down mentally. He's always very calm imo.

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Yeah I think his volleys are better than Fed and Lopez atleast. But you're right about Llodra and Stepanek.
And I've never seen Anderson really break down mentally. He's always very calm imo.
I definitely don't think they are. I wouldn't say they are close. Tsonga's drive volleys are really nothing special. I think Tsonga's volleying has always been very overrated. His timing of the split step, body positioning and angle of the racket head whilst performing drive volleys really isn't stand out.

I think there are more attributes to the 'mentality' category than just calmness. There are certainly worse out there than Anderson.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
I definitely don't think they are. I wouldn't say they are close. Tsonga's drive volleys are really nothing special. I think Tsonga's volleying has always been very overrated. His timing of the split step, body positioning and angle of the racket head whilst performing drive volleys really isn't stand out.

I think there are more attributes to the 'mentality' category than just calmness. There are certainly worse out there than Anderson.
You do have a valid point... But to me Tsonga seems pretty solid at net. His net game doesn't really break down too often. But yes there are plenty of players who have better volleys than him.

As for other parts of mentality, what are you talking about? I know positive emotion is good, which Anderson lacks. Isner is a good choice btw.

Quote:

Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Murray for everything except defense and mental strength, where Karlovic and Almagro barely edge him out.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Murray for everything except defense and mental strength, where Karlovic and Almagro barely edge him out.
Most people take your bashing against players so seriously, but i find them to be fucking hillarious!

Quote:

Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
You do have a valid point... But to me Tsonga seems pretty solid at net. His net game doesn't really break down too often. But yes there are plenty of players who have better volleys than him.

As for other parts of mentality, what are you talking about? I know positive emotion is good, which Anderson lacks. Isner is a good choice btw.
Well, define mentality.

What about concentration, confidence, resistance to pressure, resistance to adversity. Tactical awareness might fall under another category but I'd include this too. Things like this.

"Mentality" and even "mental strength" and the commonly used "mental toughness" (I don't know why people use this word) is all a bit vague.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Well, define mentality.

What about concentration, confidence, resistance to pressure, resistance to adversity. Tactical awareness might fall under another category but I'd include this too. Things like this.

"Mentality" and even "mental strength" and the commonly used "mental toughness" (I don't know why people use this word) is all a bit vague.
Yeah when I said mentality I meant all of the mental aspects. Yeah Anderson probably wasn't a good choice. But Isner fits that well.

Quote: