4 One-Handed backhand players in Halle semis. - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #46
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 One-Handed backhand players in Halle semis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
The single handed backhand is an extremely tough shot to learn when you're just starting unless you have a strong wrist. It's no wonder a lot of juniors give up on it and most coaches don't even try.
All true, itīs very rare to see a junior player with a single handed backhand these days. I switched from a two-handed shot to a single handed backhand when I was 14 years old, my coach encouraged me to switch, since I had terrible trouble with weight transfer and rhythm when hitting with two hands. My coach said heīd seen similar issues with a lot of players, and thought it would be better to switch while you still can, rather than keep struggling. Anyway, the switch worked for me, Iīve been hitting a single handed shot ever since, and I love it. Obviously, when youīre 14, you already have some required strengh so youīre able to hit with one hand, but itīs really difficult when youīre starting out. Itīs still a shame to see so few of them nowadays.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't really pay to play with a one-hander in the modern game. The advantages that come with the two-hander in terms of ability to deal with high bouncing topspin and solidity on return are massive, the second being perhaps the most important factor of all. Quicker preparation helps too. At the same time, several of the traditional advantages of the one-hander are a lot less useful than they used to be. Better striking of low-bouncing balls and better transition to the net are of limited value to modern players.

Why spend more time to develop a harder stroke that is realistically probably going to benefit you less than the alternative?

That said, I love the one-hander. Being ambidextrous my coach always wanted me to play a two-hander, but since my idols were Edberg and Cash there was no way he was ever going to convince me. Growing up in the early 90s, the 2HBH was still a shot for girls.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #48
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
All true, itīs very rare to see a junior player with a single handed backhand these days. I switched from a two-handed shot to a single handed backhand when I was 14 years old, my coach encouraged me to switch, since I had terrible trouble with weight transfer and rhythm when hitting with two hands. My coach said heīd seen similar issues with a lot of players, and thought it would be better to switch while you still can, rather than keep struggling. Anyway, the switch worked for me, Iīve been hitting a single handed shot ever since, and I love it. Obviously, when youīre 14, you already have some required strengh so youīre able to hit with one hand, but itīs really difficult when youīre starting out. Itīs still a shame to see so few of them nowadays.
I didn't even have a coach so it was even harder for me when I started when I was 12. Pretty much taught myself watching tapes of Kuerten/Corretja/Haas and even then I pretty much only had a slice backhand. I'm 24 now and play regularly but everytime I have an extended break from the sport it takes me a few weeks to get my backhand to a consistent level. High balls are still a nightmare and that will never be fixed unless I grow 8 inches.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #49
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't even have a coach so it was even harder for me when I started when I was 12. Pretty much taught myself watching tapes of Kuerten/Corretja/Haas and even then I pretty much only had a slice backhand. I'm 24 now and play regularly but everytime I have an extended break from the sport it takes me a few weeks to get my backhand to a consistent level. High balls are still a nightmare and that will never be fixed unless I grow 8 inches.
I have the same problem, and I donīt think itīll ever get fixed. Every time I hit my backhand shoulder height, I end up hitting it short. I canīt even imagine what it must be like to try hitting it against someone like Nadalīs high topspin forehand...
Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #50
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

One handed BH's are good on grass because you have more variety and racquet head speed with the shot, and the ability to hit low shots and still get the ball on the sweet spot of the racquet.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #51
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have the same problem, and I donīt think itīll ever get fixed. Every time I hit my backhand shoulder height, I end up hitting it short. I canīt even imagine what it must be like to try hitting it against someone like Nadalīs high topspin forehand...
I just slice when I get a ball at shoulderheight.
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #52
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
One handed BH's are good on grass because you have more variety and racquet head speed with the shot, and the ability to hit low shots and still get the ball on the sweet spot of the racquet.
You're good at memorising statistics, players and the like of the ATP tour but as for your understanding of the technical side of the game and biomechanics and what not...

How do you have more variety? Because single handed players sometimes have better slices?

And you don't automatically get more racket head speed with a single handed backhand, you can however achieve further extension on the follow through to maximise power.

And the ability to use your non-dominant hand in low shots is actually very important in hitting low balls because it enables you to create further whip of the wrist to allow for more top spin, which is crucial on low balls. This allows you to balance out the power through both both arms where as if you're a one handed player, you have to create the whip and power with a single arm which is extremely strenuous on your wrist and rotator cuff. Easier control is far more achievable with a double handed backhand in today's gruelling game, when you may have to hit 5 or more backhands in every third rally in a best of 5 set match. It takes its toll.

And I don't know where to even begin with the sweet spot part, since when did using two hands disable you from achieving a central contact?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #53
country flag Dougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
I just slice when I get a ball at shoulderheight.
I do that too, when the opponentīs shot has enough pace I like to slice it back, but when its just a high ball with not much pace, itīs difficult slice it, since slice bh ( at least mine) doesnīt really generate that much pace on itīs own, but relies more on the pace generated by the opponentīs shot. Thatīs when I need to hit it with topspin, and thatīs when the trouble starts...
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #54
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do that too, when the opponentīs shot has enough pace I like to slice it back, but when its just a high ball with not much pace, itīs difficult slice it, since slice bh ( at least mine) doesnīt really generate that much pace on itīs own, but relies more on the pace generated by the opponentīs shot. Thatīs when I need to hit it with topspin, and thatīs when the trouble starts...
High ball with no pace = run around and hit a forehand.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #55
country flag cocrcici

cocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond repute

boring...
Summer is coming...
cocrcici is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #56
country flag Dougie

Quote:
High ball with no pace = run around and hit a forehand.
Not with my speed, Iīd have a hard time getting back to position!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #57
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrcici View Post
boring...
Buzz off.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #58
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Not with my speed, Iīd have a hard time getting back to position!
Are you nimble enough to take a few steps back and wait for the ball to drop to waist height then?

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #59
country flag zdravkelja

zdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis won this week
zdravkelja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #60
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 2 handed backhand for many years and only switched to a 1 hander last year. My, what an improvement! Number 1 is mentally. Before, with my 2 hander, whenever I had to hit a backhand, it was like: "Dammit, another BH, can't run around this one." Now, with the 1 hander, it is: "Yes, I get to hit a backhand now!"

A 1 hander is just more fun to play with On return, it can be a bit of an issue, until you get the timing with it. After that, I think its actually EASIER to return with 1 hand than 2. Plus the slice comes more naturally with a 1 hander.

As for the high balls, you just gotta be quick, and take it on the rise. In cases where that is impossible, the jumping one handed backhand must come into play. Actually, I try to get enough force from my legs into the shot that I naturally leave the ground at least a few inches, both FH and BH. So nearly every shot, I am exploding off the ground.

Overall, 1 handed backhand is the shit.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote