Your today's top 10 with the 80's racquets - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your today's top 10 with the 80's racquets

Well pretty much any flat hitter with decent volleys would be doing a lot better than they are now.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
John McEnroe would disagree. And I would take the opinion of a 7 time GS champ over an opinion of a forum troll like you anyday
I agree. Nadal's volley would not be an issue. But his serve and his forehand would be affected. Now if the courts are the same, he would still be tough to beat.

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you mean by being a good volleyer. Nadal has much softer hands at the net than he used to, and has perfected the drop-volley for finishing off points.

That said, I don't think his volley technique is very good in a traditional sense. He can come to the net to clean up points, but he often looks pretty lost if someone brings him there on their terms, or if he has to take control of the point and dominate from there.

Not that many modern players are better. When the majority of the field are lost inside the service line, a modicum of touch at the net is manna from heaven. Players aren't as comfortable with passing shots as they used to be, so that helps.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
John McEnroe would disagree. And I would take the opinion of a 7 time GS champ over an opinion of a forum troll like you anyday
The same McEnroe that said RN had a better serve and volleys than Federer? He sucks as a commentator as he says what he sees in one single point. Mind you, I don't claim to know my tennis all that well at all but Mac is seriously not a benchmark for opinions.

RN can put away medium volleys in difficulty after approaching off of a good, deep top-spinning FH. He won't be able to hit that angled shot with old rackets. Now do you want to contribute something to the thread?

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #20
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

This "ifs..." threads are breeding all over MTF.
They're so many.
They're there, you can't escape 'em.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #21
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
This "ifs..." threads are breeding all over MTF.
They're so many.
They're there, you can't escape 'em.
Come on, it's fun, no? It's better than Novak Nadal, endless discussion or Federer's marital problems threads ..

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #22
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
The same McEnroe that said RN had a better serve and volleys than Federer? He sucks as a commentator as he says what he sees in one single point. Mind you, I don't claim to know my tennis all that well at all but Mac is seriously not a benchmark for opinions.
His opinions still count for more than anyone's on this forum though
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #23
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Not when he watches tennis 1 month in a year they don't. Seriously, he can comment accurately on the players when he can watch them play but he cannot be objective about their whole game.

Quote:
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #24
country flag neme6

neme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a few years ago, (in Fed's prime) he tried somekind of really old racquet just to see how good he was at hitting the ball or something, and he excelled where everyobdy else sucked, if I remembered correctly he was the best by far, so... obviously, Fed would be the best right now with an 80s racquet
neme6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #25
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post

RN can put away medium volleys in difficulty after approaching off of a good, deep top-spinning FH. He won't be able to hit that angled shot with old rackets. Now do you want to contribute something to the thread?
Nadal's volleys are amazing. I don't understand why people say they aren't. Because he's primarly a baseliner? The technique on his volleys is sound, he knows when to approach the net at the right time and he rarely gets passed. He can even throw in some S&V on faster surfaces as a surprise. I don't understand why people have to hate and can't give credit. McEnroe is right to say that Nadal had great volleys.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

mods please drag this thread outside and hurl it into a city sewer where rats can piss on it all night. thanks.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #27
country flag Looner

Quote:
Nadal's volleys are amazing. I don't understand why people say they aren't. Because he's primarly a baseliner? The technique on his volleys is sound, he knows when to approach the net at the right time and he rarely gets passed. He can even throw in some S&V on faster surfaces as a surprise. I don't understand why people have to hate and can't give credit. McEnroe is right to say that Nadal had great volleys.
He's good when he needs to approach but it's all according to his comfort zone. He'll need to do it all the time and without the comfort of his amazing approach top-spin shots, I don't see him being that good. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #28
country flag Lugburz

Lugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods please drag this thread outside and hurl it into a city sewer where rats can piss on it all night. thanks.
good ol' hercules

Philipp Kohlschreiber - Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Everytime Haas wins a point is the happiest moment in my life.
Lugburz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #29
country flag Lugburz

Lugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond repute

btw don't know about the 80's but as for 1900's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q16pnNQfYYQ

Philipp Kohlschreiber - Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Everytime Haas wins a point is the happiest moment in my life.
Lugburz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Naw. He has one of the best drop-volleys in the game, but other than that his volleying is pretty average.

He is an excellent judge of when to volley though. He doesn't overestimate his own abilities and only approaches when it makes sense to do so, or against players who can't pass for shit. As a result he doesn't get beaten at the net very often.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote