What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I don't think Tsonga will do as well as people seem to suggest he will on the grass. Might be wrong but I prefer to weather the red clay and then proceed to the hope of green clay.
Why though? He showed last year that he can play some awesome tennis on grass and he's been steadily improving. He's 27, but it's a young 27 since he started quite late due to injuries (he has less pro matches than Del Potro for instance, who's four years younger and skipped a year).

Your green clay point might be true for the latter stages of Wimbledon, but what about Olympics? The one week, three set format will ensure that the grass isn't worn out and remains fast probably. Even at Wimbledon's latter stages, it's the surface the most suits him, at least it helps him set his serve + forehand, serve + volley and forehand + volley combos far more easily than on other surfaces.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post

As a matter of curiosity, who exactly is going to beat him at those stages of these events?
I'm serious though, he should take a long break after that heartbreaker. Otherwise I don't see him having much success on the grass this year (or even the rest of the year in general).
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #18

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
I'm serious though, he should take a long break after that heartbreaker. Otherwise I don't see him having much success on the grass this year (or even the rest of the year in general).
He'll be alright. QF and pushing the world #1 to his limits is far more than expected from him on clay, by far his worst surface.

He's strong mentally and will not let the defeat crush, but rather take the positives from it. If he can carry that form into the grass season, especially as far as his backhand is concerned, he will be a force to be reckoned with imo.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He'll be alright. QF and pushing the world #1 to his limits is far more than expected from him on clay, by far his worst surface.

He's strong mentally and will not let the defeat crush, but rather take the positives from it. If he can carry that form into the grass season, especially as far as his backhand is concerned, he will be a force to be reckoned with imo.
Sure he exceeded expectations overall, but the fact that he could have done even more, is going to hurt him for a long, long time.

Mentally strong? . Well if he can come back from this, then kudos to him. The moment of truth awaits him on the grass -- will he make or break. Will be a testament to what his true character is.

But really, my advice is to take a good few weeks off and stop thinking about tennis, and just have fun. It's the only way to forget about it.
No shit.
Quote:
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #20
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Clownga mentally strong?

Frauderer will NEVER win another slam
Crocodilovic will fall
Nadal will reclaim number #1 in 2015.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Sure he exceeded expectations overall, but the fact that he could have done even more, is going to hurt him for a long, long time.

Mentally strong? . Well if he can come back from this, then kudos to him. The moment of truth awaits him on the grass -- will he make or break. Will be a testament to what his true character is.

But really, my advice is to take a good few weeks off and stop thinking about tennis, and just have fun. It's the only way to forget about it.
You grossly underestimate Jo's mental strength. He's definitely among the strongest players on tour mentally. He's never fazed by the occasions or the opponent, plays the same way against some journeyman in round 1 as in the final. He's never afraid to take it to the top players and take risks in crucial points. He never gets tight.

I'm pretty sure he will overcome the disappointment fast, he always does. It's exactly because of that mental strength that he's having so much success despite so many injury problems in his early years and his technical problems on the backhand and ROS.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #22
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

stop posting dude......leave the keyboard alone
Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #23
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You grossly underestimate Jo's mental strength. He's definitely among the strongest players on tour mentally. He's never fazed by the occasions or the opponent, plays the same way against some journeyman in round 1 as in the final. He's never afraid to take it to the top players and take risks in crucial points. He never gets tight.

I'm pretty sure he will overcome the disappointment fast, he always does. It's exactly because of that mental strength that he's having so much success despite so many injury problems in his early years and his technical problems on the backhand and ROS.
again dude please take a break
Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
country flag BroTree123

Quote:

Well we aren't sure until the grass season is over. But what I'm saying is; don't get your hopes too high.
No shit.
Quote:
Quote:

Banned Users
Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballer View Post
again dude please take a break
Care to explain why he is not strong mentally?

And please don't mention the Novak match; he didn't lose that one because of mentality, Novak just played amazing points when match point down and is the much fitter player (for the fifth set). Novak won the match, it wasn't Tsonga who lost it.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

I also can imagine him in SF of Wimb again.

I think this guy will be the one the big 4 wants to evade.

I seriously think he can beat the big 4 there. I think ironically, his worst match up is Federer.

ALLEZ!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
I also can imagine him in SF of Wimb again.

I think this guy will be the one the big 4 wants to evade.

I seriously think he can beat the big 4 there. I think ironically, his worst match up is Federer.

ALLEZ!!!
I suppose that 'Big 4' is including Murray? If so, of course he can. He has beaten Novak, Rafa, Federer and Murray at Slams, we know that he has the game to do it.

I agree Federer could be the toughest. If Jo is playing well, he's very tough to break on grass, but the Federer serve is the hardest to break on paper, although I believe that on grass Nadal's is just as hard to break.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #28
country flag evilmindbulgaria

evilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see how tired he is at Queens. I think it is quite possible to reach QF/SF at Wimbledon, depending on his draw, and go deep at the Olympics too.

Rafa winning at least one slam in 10 consecutive years is the best achievement in Open Era tennis since Laver won all 4 Grand slam tournaments in the same year!

Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!
evilmindbulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #29
country flag Fireballer

Quote:
Care to explain why he is not strong mentally?

And please don't mention the Novak match; he didn't lose that one because of mentality, Novak just played amazing points when match point down and is the much fitter player (for the fifth set). Novak won the match, it wasn't Tsonga who lost it.
Tsonga gave up in the 5th set and will always crumble under pressure
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #30
country flag Del GOATro

Del GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga has a good shot of winning one of these tournaments at least; hopefully it will be Wimbledon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
He broke because of errors, not because of his own play.
The Story of Nadal's career.
Del GOATro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote