Football Zone - Page 90 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #1336
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football Zone (Rodgers the new manager at Liverpool)

If I was a Liverpool fan I would have preferred Martínez as manager over Rodgers. Rodgers has had 3 previous managerial jobs, at Watford, Reading and Swansea. He failed at Reading, and did a pretty a disappointing job at Watford, so he has only been successful in 1 job out of 3 so far.

Also this is the second time that he categorically denied that he has wanted to leave his job, only to move on soon after, as he pretty much did the same thing when he left Watford for Reading in 2009.

Martínez on the other hand has had two managerial jobs so far, at Swansea and Wigan, and has been successful at both of them (keeping one of the smallest clubs in the EPL away from relegation 3 years in a row is success). A 2/2 success rate is better than a 1/3 one. Plus he laid the foundations at Swansea for Paulo Sousa and Rodgers to inherit, and like Rodgers he tries to get his teams playing the right way.

It's interesting Rodgers has left Swansea at time when they have smashed their transfer record to bring Gylfi Sigurdsson to the club on a permanent basis, and are looking to bring in Gio Dos Santos on loan. Gio needs to get the hell away Spurs for regular first team football. I still think he is a top quality player, and when he was on loan at Racing Santander in 2011 he was excellent.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #1337
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

especially when you consider the ridiculous credit he gets for Swansea playing good football, Swans were already a good footballing side before he arrived there - ironically with Martinez' influence
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #1338
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree with LeChuck. Rodgers a better option for Liverpool than Martinez.

People seem to forget how truly awful Wigan were at the start of this season and most of last season. He has a 27% win record for Wigan, if you compare this to similarly struggling clubs it doesn't measure up well. Steve Kean has a 26% win record

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012

Last edited by jmjhb : 05-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1339
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Dos Santos is a top player. I remember one instance in the gold cup final vs the USA where he ran with the ball in the open field at the fastest pace I have ever seen any player do it.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #1340
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

People say that Wigan only came alive near the end of the season, but the thing to remember is that for small teams like them, it is pretty much impossible to play well consistently throughout the season. If they did, they would be finishing comfortably in the top 10 and challenging for Europa League qualification, which is infeasible given their resources. Only the bigger teams near the top of the league can be consistently good and have a briefer sticky spell.

Under Martínez Wigan have recorded victories over Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal (home and away) and Liverpool (home and way) over the last 3 years, playing some nice football overall I would say.

He did splash the cash to bring in Mauro Boselli which didn't work out (though his record at Estudiantes when they signed him was outstanding), but money there has been tighter there than it was during Steve Bruce's second reign. He has signed some very good young players who are coming along nicely, and he has resurrected the careers of some older players who were losing their way.

Brendan Rodgers might go on to be a hugely successful manager, but so far he is pretty much a flash in the pan, with just 2 successful years of football management behind him, and just one in the EPL, after largely underwhelming performances at both Watford and Reading.

Also would he have done as well at Swansea if it wasn't for the great work of Martínez there? I'm not so sure.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #1341
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Rodgers is a man with a high ceiling. He'll go to the top. Very thorough student of the game. The LFC job is a poison barb though, as soon as he loses one the fans will be screaming for Rafa or Kenny to come back in. If you aren't one of their own they'll lynch you.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #1342
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Martinez laid the foundations at Swansea but I don't believe we would have got promoted if he had stayed as the team was too cavalier under him. Paulo Sousa steadied the ship and made us much more solid defensively when he left whilst Rodgers found the perfect blend between attack and defence.

It's hard for me to be objective about Rodger's chances at Liverpool. I'm gutted because we have lost an excellent manager and disappointed in him as a man in the manner in which he left. This is a brave move by him and one that could backfire spectacularly. Rocketassist has got it right, he has the potential to be one of the best managers in the country but his philosophy demands patience from the fans and the board. Will they be happy to give him the time he needs to instill his beliefs and get the players playing the way he wants? Will they be happy with possession football if it doesn't bring instant results? Will the players be happy to be play a system where the team is the star rather than individuals?

I think he's made the move at least a year too early. If he'd been patient, carried on the job he's doing with Swansea he would have got a move to a bigger club eventually, people would have more of an understanding of his style, he'd be more experienced and he could have left Swansea with dignity.
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #1343
country flag LeChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Dos Santos is a top player. I remember one instance in the gold cup final vs the USA where he ran with the ball in the open field at the fastest pace I have ever seen any player do it.
Yes he was outstanding in that final and during the entire tournament as well, plus I also thought he looked good at the World Cup the year. Like Barrera and Guardado, he has generally been able to bring his best form to the table for the Mexican NT, regardless of any turbelence in his club career.

Here in Mexico many people closely follow the club careers of their top players of course, and they all despise Redknapp as public enemy no. 1 for not giving Dos Santos much of an opportunity at Spurs. Still Gio was an idiot to reject that move to Udinese last year. His dream of a return to La Liga with Sevilla didn't materialise.

I will do everything in my power to get a ticket for the Mexico-USA World Cup qualifying match at the Azteca (provided neither team messes up and fails to reach the hex of course) next year. Thank god CONCACAF saw sense and reversed their decision to scrap the hex and split Mexico and USA in the final round.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #1344
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get enough of these.

Didier always was the coolest man on the planet. There is no-one who could have handled the situation better.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #1345
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football Zone (Eden Hazard to Stoke City)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
It'll be a system that suits Torres that includes both Mata/Hazard I reckon.

As for the manager I can see it being Di Matteo but on a rolling contract. Pep's on a sabbatical so he'll try and get him next year.
I think we agree for once.

But, for the record, here's my dream team:

Manager: Pep Guardiola (yes, a stretch, but the Sun said today that he just wants Abramovich to talk to him)

Starting lineup: 4-2-3-1, as follows:
Keeper: Cech
Back four: Cole, Terry, Cahill or Luiz, Ivanovic
Two in front of the defence: Mikel or Essien, Lampard or Ramires
Front three: Mata, Hazard, Hulk
Lone striker: Torres

Rest of squad: Ferreira, Bertrand, Meireles, Lukaku, Sturridge, Turnbull/Hilario

Sell: Malouda (Kalou and Bosingwa already going)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #1346
country flag Jimnik

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #1347
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not convinced that Di Matteo would be the right choice. Yes, he lead the team to the CL win, but Chelsea rode their luck a lot and you can't expect to be successful on the long run, if your main tactic against big teams (in Europe) consists of parking the bus. I'm not sure what else Di Matteo could offer tbh.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 AM   #1348
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I will do everything in my power to get a ticket for the Mexico-USA World Cup qualifying match at the Azteca (provided neither team messes up and fails to reach the hex of course) next year. Thank god CONCACAF saw sense and reversed their decision to scrap the hex and split Mexico and USA in the final round.
Well one thing you can say about the Mexican players is that they definetly bring their best when they represent their national team. I know being the chief rival of the USA I'm supposed to not like the Mexican team, but I really like the team recently. In the past when the USA had the win streak against them I found El Tri to be a selfish team but now they are very fun to watch.

Splitting them up would have been stupid. Both teams are 95% sure to qualify anyway so what's the point of robbing CONCACAf of its chief rivalry?

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!  
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #1349
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
Agapito is the Gil of the XXI Century
Hahaha, harsh but funny. This parasite club needs to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Rodgers is a man with a high ceiling. He'll go to the top. Very thorough student of the game. The LFC job is a poison barb though, as soon as he loses one the fans will be screaming for Rafa or Kenny to come back in. If you aren't one of their own they'll lynch you.
He did live off the sweat of Martinez setting it up for him. Yes, he added his own touches to Swansea, but he left too soon at the same time it seemed like they wanted Martinez first but thankfully he refused.

Definitely this style of football needs patience and fans these days don't have it for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloKid View Post
I'm not convinced that Di Matteo would be the right choice. Yes, he lead the team to the CL win, but Chelsea rode their luck a lot and you can't expect to be successful on the long run, if your main tactic against big teams (in Europe) consists of parking the bus. I'm not sure what else Di Matteo could offer tbh.
Di Matteo rode his luck big time but with the squad he had, that pretty much was the only way to play for them. The cancerous dressing room leeches are still there, all the CL has done has delayed the regeneration project.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #1350
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Manolo Preciado, the former Levante, Racing and Sporting coach died of a heart attack today

He had just signed a deal with Villarreal. Rest in Peace.

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread