Johnny Groove vs. Alexander Pelaez, Plantation Year End Masters - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #136
country flag Orka_n
Banned!

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My tennis career. Whatever it takes, baby

Hm. Which FH grip do you use? Full western?
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #137
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
WOW!
Well I see why you want to keep the guy! Hope you manage.
Thanks, Karin

Your support is always welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Hm. Which FH grip do you use? Full western?
No, semi-western. And 1 handed backhand (that needs work)
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #138
country flag Orka_n
Banned!

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
No, semi-western. And 1 handed backhand (that needs work)
I see. And your frame is the BLX Six-One Team?

Anyways, I prefer the semi-western grip too. But a one-hander, huh... never really got the hang of that. Btw, what would you say is your best shot?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #139
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
I see. And your frame is the BLX Six-One Team?

Anyways, I prefer the semi-western grip too. But a one-hander, huh... never really got the hang of that. Btw, what would you say is your best shot?
I've got the BLX 6.1 95 18x20.

My forehand is definitely my best shot. Serve is very good, but horribly inconsistent, backhand is a solid rally shot at best, dreadful at worst. Mostly I need to increase my endurance. The first few hours, I play well, but once I get tired, my game goes to shit.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #140
country flag Orka_n
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
I've got the BLX 6.1 95 18x20.

My forehand is definitely my best shot. Serve is very good, but horribly inconsistent, backhand is a solid rally shot at best, dreadful at worst. Mostly I need to increase my endurance. The first few hours, I play well, but once I get tired, my game goes to shit.
Interesting stuff. Well, continued luck to you.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #141
Future ATP Star

Default Re: My tennis career, back from the dead

How about an update, eh?

I ended up having to stop training with my coach in early December (family could no longer support). After that it was a few weeks of depression and job hunting, until i got a job at Toys R Us. I worked there a few weeks, and then luckily caught a break and picked up a job at a tennis center, working the front desk and also giving lessons. I worked there for a few months until early April (still do, but only picking up shifts). Then I got another tennis pro shop job on the other side of town, a good 24 hours a week Save up some money, pay for tournaments and training from my own pocket, that's the plan.

Anyways, this weekend I played a tournament down in Weston. A 4.5 NTRP event. I had previously ordered some demos from Tennis Warehouse, the Nadal and Roddick racquets, Federer's new tour 90, and the old Sampras/Edberg/Courier Wilson Pro Staff 85!!!! Such an awesome stick the 85.

And so, I used the 85 in my first match. The other guy was one of those players who gets EVERYTHING back, and with my attacking game, he frustrated me a bit. Everything was either my winner or error, though he did hit a few winners every now and then.

Anyway, on we fight, and he gets up 4-2 with a break. I hold and then break back for 4 all, but then he rebreaks me to 30 and serves for the set. *5-4 in the first, serving for the set. I kept telling myself, "keep fighting, one point at a time, this is your time". And it was. I broke back to 30 to level the first at 5-5. We both hold easily and go into the TB. In the breaker, I get my shit together and win it 7-3. Serving well, I think I only missed one first serve, and very aggressive with the forehand.

Early in the second, I feel I've got him on the ropes. I break in the opening game to 15 and he seems tired and done. I mistakenly believed this and let off the gas. 3 double faults and a missed forehand later, he has broken back to level at 1-1. After that, he holds easily to 15, and it is as if he has gotten a 2nd wind. It was a hot day, high humidity, and now I am starting to tire.

At 1-2, I served a big game. I save a break point with a big serve and no return, and end up holding after one deuce, so 2-2. In the next game, I broke to love, as he seemed to re-tire as well, and my energy went up. *3-2 I'm serving, and I hold to 15 for 4-2. The next game, the first point, we play a 20something shot rally which I lose and I'm gassed. I basically tank the next few points going for winners, and he holds to 15 for 4-3. Concentrate on my serve, the Sampras mentality

I hold to 30 for 5-3, and now he is serving at 3-5, 30-30. I had noticed my strings were fraying a bit the last few games, and of course they popped when I hit a forehand return at 30 all. Of course it went long and I switched racquets back to my Wilson 6.1 BLX 95 18x20. Similar, yes, but the 85 is a dream. Anyway, he holds for 4-5 and now I'm serving for the match. By this point, I'm about to pass out from exhaustion. I'm dizzy out there, my left quad beginning to cramp, but still I kept telling myself to fight and fight. 5-4, 30-30, we play a long rally, I move him left and right, come in, and he whistles a forehand cross court past my outstretched body and cramping leg as I lunged in vain. Now I'm in pain. I stretch the quad and regroup. Unfortunately, I hit a DF on the next point to give him the break

Now at 5-5, I am a dead man walking. I try to compete, but he holds to 30, as he has caught his own 3rd or 4th wind. He then breaks my dead self to 30 to take the set 7-5.

Third set, we play a 10 point tiebreak. I dunno how I did it, but I again regrouped, refocused, found some energy from somewhere and dominated the breaker. 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 7-0! He won 2 points on serve to get it to 2-7, followed by two points on my serve for 9-2. At 2-9, he served, we had a rally, and he comes in on my forehand. I race across, hit a forehand pass down the line which he pops up in my backhand corner. I summoned some energy and sprinted to the other side and sent a backhand slice down the line right in the corner to take the tiebreaker 10-2 2 hours 15 minute battle that I triumphed.

Now I'm dead Luckily the tournament director gave me 90 minutes to eat and come back. At 2, we played the match and I was still dead The other guy got up an early break 3-1, but I fought and kept fighting. I held a big game at *1-3 with some really good forehands down the line. I broke him in the next game and prepared myself for another long battle. At *3-3, I served with 15-0. A big serve wide, short reply, forehand winner the other way for 30-0. As I fist pumped and got ready for the next point, he walked up to the net and had to retire, left leg cramping up. Hey, I'll take it!

Now I am playing semifinals tomorrow, but the problem is I have to work 8-1 at my job, but the match is scheduled for 11 .

I gotta get someone to cover my shift, otherwise I gotta give a walkover Fuck that, I'll be so pissed.

So that's it! I'm back baby!

http://tennislink.usta.com/TOURNAMEN....aspx?T=112001

Quote:
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #142
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My tennis career, back from the dead, won 2 rounds, into my first ever semifinal

Congrats. Here is a comparative table to make understand to eveybody that 4,5 is nice but this is AMATEUR level. No offense Groove. You would routine me anyway. 4,5 in USA = 15.1 in France. 12 years old ranking of Gasquet.

Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #143
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My tennis career, back from the dead, won 2 rounds, into my first ever semifinal

Good work, Jon!
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #144
Future ATP Star

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
Congrats. Here is a comparative table to make understand to eveybody that 4,5 is nice but this is AMATEUR level. No offense Groove. You would routine me anyway. 4,5 in USA = 15.1 in France. 12 years old ranking of Gasquet.

Thank you for providing even more fuel to my fire

Quote:
Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #145
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Great job, keep going

Remember, I am offering my WAG services once you hit top 100, so motivate yourself to get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #146
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning on playing any futures soon?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #147
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Visa View Post
Are you planning on playing any futures qualifications soon?
corrected.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #148
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Johnny! At this progress rate you might get to win a set in a futures qualification match by the time you're 28!
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #149
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

You should tank these events and try to peak for slams. I am sure the organizers will recognize the talent and give you a WC in a flash
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #150
Future ATP Star

Unfortunately, I had to give a W/O to the #2 seed Daniel Mendez in the SF

I was unable to find anyone to cover my shift, so instead of playing the SF, I'll be at work Fuckin' A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Great job, keep going

Remember, I am offering my WAG services once you hit top 100, so motivate yourself to get there
I will keep you in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Visa View Post
Are you planning on playing any futures soon?
I dunno, man. My old coach is training now a guy ranked 1000 ATP or so, Roberto Cid. When my level gets to there, I'll train with him some and if I'm winning or at least coming close, I'll give a shot to the futures. But it won't be until January at the earliest. I gotta keep this job and save up money, for a year at least, I don't want what happened this weekend to happen again. I am in the worst feeling ever right now. Having to give a W/O because I'm working I want to save up until next Spring and then quit my job and hit the tour. Next October the latest. I am also graduating college next May. So we'll see what happens in the next 12 months. Grad school? Quit my job and hit the tour? Something else? We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
corrected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Congrats Johnny! At this progress rate you might get to win a set in a futures qualification match by the time you're 28!
Yes, yes, more fuel please, thank you, you two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
You should tank these events and try to peak for slams. I am sure the organizers will recognize the talent and give you a WC in a flash

Quote: