What's happened to German tennis, they used to have great players, now not so much? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
country flag Tomek.

Tomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond reputeTomek. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's happened to German tennis, they used to have great players, now not so muc

on the WTA tour Germany has 5 player in top 35 (12, 13, 14, 21, 35) so I think German tennis is not that bad

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
country flag mooncreek

mooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's happened to German tennis, they used to have great players, now not so muc

While the beginning of the 2000s was good on the men's side (Haas, Kiefer) following Becker, it's now turned to the ladies' side of players (Petkovic, Kerber, Lisicki, Goerges) wanting to follow Graf.

The Brian Baker Story. Proof that truth is stranger than fiction... until Hollywood buys the rights and proceeds to keep screwing the script up.
mooncreek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
country flag Mahqz

Mahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbera View Post
It took you one hour to find that out?

What I meant, the Fed Cup Playoff-Game against Australia was not televised, the first round match against the Czech Republic indeed was...
I was not sure and had to look it up which isn't always possible at work.
And even the match against Australia was shown on Einsplus.

But what the girls are doing better then the boys: I don't know. But also here you can say they are more hungry as the boys have to because there is no good paid German Women's League in summer.
TT Singles ranking: 68 (High: 52)

TT Doubles: W 2013: Winston-Salem, Sarajevo; SF USO (w/ appleGirl)
TT Doubles: W 2012: Antalya, Tiburon; SF USO (w/ appleGirl)
TT Doubles: W 2011: Izmir CH (w/ appleGirl)
TT Doubles ranking: 60 (High: 31)

-- TT Board Member --
Mahqz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
country flag grishotarian

grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian grishotarian

The clearly all had sex changes and now play on the WTA. Don't the have four frauleins in the top 20?
grishotarian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbera View Post
While in the last 20 years football increased a lot in popularity, tennis has declined on the other hand, something that has to do with a lot of things...

1st, when Becker, Stich and Graf retired, there was a gap that neither Schuettler, Kiefer nor Haas could fill, simply because neither of them was nearly as successful.

2nd, we didn't like that Kiefer and Haas ( for a couple years Germanys two best male players ) couldn't stand each other.
Becker was so great that people forgave him that he was a douche towards Stich, but if you win Wimbledon a couple times people will easily look over that.

Today there are too many conflicts of interest.. Haas and Kohlschreiber can't stand each other, Mayer doesn't want Kuehnen to be team captain at the World Team Cup this year.
And all we want is to see them perform well, be it in Davis Cup or in tournaments!

And this is what we like so much about our national team in football... no alpha dogs, just 11 players who give 100%.

3rd, our national system is good on paper, but in fact these guys are not "hungry" to win... all they need to do year in, year out is to be ranked somewhere inside the top 100, play German League Tennis in the Summer, get Wildcards for the few German tournaments that we still have, lose the first round in Davis Cup and then win the Play-Offs in September.... no surprise to me that people lose interest in a sport we are only next performers.

One thing that is just as sad as funny:

Both the first round ties in Davis Cup and Fed Cup were NOT televised this year, and the respective captains were complaining about that... while the men got their butts kicked against Argentina ( Petzschner playing Singles on Clay... really? I mean really? ) and the women being favorites in their tie and losing in great fashion against Australia, and the captains want us to watch that crap on television?

There you go.
Excellent post, thank you.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote