Frederico Gil - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #91
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frederico Gil

Fred lost 3-6 4-6 4-6 to Sela and Portugal went down 0-3 quickly to lose the tie to Israel. Unfortunately no World Group playoffs for the team this season. Fred said he couldn't get comfortable with the balls and the surface was fast, so he was never secure in his game.

Fred is down to provisional ranking #130 this week. The good thing is he's not much more than 100 points away from getting back in/around the top 100. A few good results during the European clay season should make that happen for him. What's most important is he get a top 16 seed in French Open qualifying, so he can avoid the top players. If he can maintain the form he's had for the most part this season, he should easily manage to do that.

Fred plays in Monte Carlo this weekend in the qualifying event. He'll be seeded so hopefully he gets an easy draw and can qualify.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #92
country flag sfar

sfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond repute

I think that being seed in a Qualifying Draw is not as important than in a Main draw. The level between the 100th and the 250th ranked is not as different as between any top 10 and the 100th. There will be very good unseeded players in that draw.

Hope Gil has luck and regains those 100 points.

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Singles: 132 (18/06/2012)
Doubles: 88 (06/08/2012)
sfar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #93
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Fred isn't going to make the French, since the schedule has been compacted this season due to the Olympics. Monte Carlo is a week later on the schedule this season, and since Fred isn't playing Casablanca, he won't defend the points. Meaning, he will have to qualify at the French. The positive is that he will be seeded in qualifying, and as we have stated before, will have every chance to regain a top 100 spot soon, if he can maintain his decent form this year. So we'll just have to hope for the best and try not to pass out due to stress during RG qualifying

It would be an awesome accomplishment if Fred can lead Portugal to a victory over Israel on the road. Fred is probably having the best overall season in terms of consistency out of all of the singles players on both teams, so it will be up to him to rise to the occasion as he usually does for DC competition. I believe in him and know he can get the job done. GL to him and the Portuguese team!
Fred is now out of RG MD, as above explained. He now has to focus on getting about 150 points in the next 4 weeks (Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Estoril, these are certain), to secure Wimby MD. This must be his next goal, not an easy one. Then, basically nothing to defend until September. I'm curious to see how he does in this transition to clay, since he ´s been playing well on hard-courts. We'll see... Go Gil!
Gil&becker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #94
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Gil now back to Top115, after great confident win against Youzhny. So, secured one of the 16 seeded at RG qualy. Playing like this, he has every chance to advance more in Monte Carlo, and get back to Top100 in the following weeks, namely at Estoril. Go Gil!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #95
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

A win over Simon would put him #104, which would essentially secure Wimbledon MD. It also would mean he'd be a top 5 seed at worst for the French Open qualies. It's a very winnable match so hopefully he continues his great run!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #96
country flag Gil&becker

Too much for Gil today. Mind game and Simon's quality took him out, I think. Simon defended well and used well his cross-court forehand. Gil recognized that he was out of solutions. I saw the match and that was clearly happening. Several points whit Simon using slice from both sides, just pushing the ball long, and Gil lacked a weapon to finish the point. So, the UE began rapidly to mount, after a good confident start.
Gil will now be around 115th, and needs about 75 points from Barcelona and/or Estoril to secure Wimby MD. Anyhow, will be one of the 16 top-seeded at RG Qualy (already out of MD direct acceptance now) and at Wimby Qualy, if he doesn't secure MD acceptance.
He has been playing really well this season, most consistent season so far at ATP level on his professional career, just similar to 2009, his real debut at this level. Hope he doesn't fall appart after Estoril, as he did that year. I think that what he's producing is enough to get back rapidly to Top75. Let's see how he develops through clay-court season (this was just his first tournament on clay on this European swing, and already secured 70 points this week, which is great).
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #97
country flag sfar

sfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond repute

Gil is improving, he only needs to 'learn' the points, know how to play rivals like Simon. He needs to take a step forward and start to make life more difficult to these kind of players.

Hope he has a good run in Barcelona and specially Estoril. It's his big opportunitty to start and go up the rankings.

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #98
country flag Gil&becker

Another great result for Fred today, 6-2, 6-2 over 26th in the ranks Granollers, at Barcelona R1. Now, expect him to manage his way past João Sousa. If so, he Will only need another win here or at Estoril, to secure Wimby MD. Totally deserved, since he's playing like Top50 material. Go Gil!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #99
country flag Gil&becker

I just realized that if Fred wins tomorrow against Sousa, he'll on the Top50 mark on YTD ranks, which confirms my previous impression about his form (and his shitty season last year, from May onwards...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #100
country flag sfar

Fred is surprising me, hats off to him!!!

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #101
country flag Gil&becker

The defeat today at Estoril might prove too costly for Gil, since he won't have any other chance to get more points for Wimby MD. 110th place isn't most certainly enough... I was there, saw the match, Gil wasn't playing well, too many UE, the pressure of a good draw at home, everybody counting on him to get to the Final, seemed to get to him.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #102
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Wimbledon MD doesn't come out next week. It comes out the week of Rome.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #103
country flag fsilva

fsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond repute

Although Gil hasn't played to his potential at Estoril Open, let's remember he's struggling with an arm injury (maybe the new racket??) and Phau was playing like a man possessed! In fact, Phau was possessed until 5-2 up against Ramos... Then he came back down to earth
On a side note, good news: Gil just beat Ebden on first qualifying round in Madrid. Now he'll play Daniel "I-haven't-won-a-single-main-draw-match-this-year" Gimeno-Traver in the qualy final. Think he can make it to the main draw...
fsilva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #104
country flag Gil&becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Wimbledon MD doesn't come out next week. It comes out the week of Rome.
Yes, I was convinced that he wouldn't make it to MadridQ, since he was really down on the Alt list. But he is in, and already defeated Ebden in style. I think now he has done enough to Wimby MD. I expect him to get to MD in Madrid, and maybe 1st Round win, since the draw for qualifiers is a decent one.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #105
country flag sfar

I saw the final points of the match today live and Fred played very consistently. I think he's going to make it to the main draw, I chatted a bit with him after the game and saw him confident.

Go Gil, good luck!!

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings: