Religion vs Spirituality - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Religion vs Spirituality

What's the difference between spirituality and religion?
Can you be spiritual without being religious and vice versa?
Can atheists who are essentially irreligious have spiritual experiences?
“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Religion vs Spirituality

What's MTF's sudden obsession with people's beliefs?

Not complaining but I'm curious. Have I missed something in the news recently?
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
What's MTF's sudden obsession with people's beliefs?

Not complaining but I'm curious. Have I missed something in the news recently?
it's 2012 mate... from time to time philosophical discussion rears it head in Non Tennis, though the mayan calendar, increasing military flashpoints world wide and the global financial meltdown have forced this phenomenon in NT to explode with alarming regularity...

Last edited by fast_clay : 04-15-2012 at 12:05 AM.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I always go to MTF when I am looking for deep thinking spiritual and religious discussion.

Not to mention existentialist thought.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares? None of it is real. It's time people realize this and start thinking rationally and develop a sense of pragmatism.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, not another religion thread this is a tennis forum, people. Why people feel the need to bash one another over the head with their faith/atheism is beyond me.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bump this thread when people are in a better mood to discuss this. Clearly no one wants this now.

Cheers!
“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Geez, not another religion thread this is a tennis forum, people. Why people feel the need to bash one another over the head with their faith/atheism is beyond me.
Guess you missed the "non-tennis" bit.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Guess you missed the "non-tennis" bit.
Right but there are like 30 threads about the same thing. Even when they are not about the same thing, they end up becoming about the same thing. Like who is arguing whether atheists lack morality in the other thread anymore? No one. It's there is no god/yes there is/no there isn't/yes there is/ on and on ad nauseum.

It's the NT version of the "endless Federer/Nadal debates" thread on GM. So I wish it would just stay in one thread.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Right but there are like 30 threads about the same thing. Even when they are not about the same thing, they end up becoming about the same thing. Like who is arguing whether atheists lack morality in the other thread anymore? No one. It's there is no god/yes there is/no there isn't/yes there is/ on and on ad nauseum.

It's the NT version of the "endless Federer/Nadal debates" thread on GM. So I wish it would just stay in one thread.
You're right. I guess mods have too much to do.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
Not a bad question, certainly better than peak this vs. peak that Anyway, what do you consider spiritual? Seeing ghosts as in Ghostbusters or meditation/prayer, etc?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Kip

Kip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Coming from a Christian point of view,

Spirituality to me is more about one's relationship with God. Where as Religion seems to be more about rule and regulations that are often misused to control people and as if one must do good works to gain favor with God. In the proper way, I think one can have both in that as one grows with God their behavior is changed as a natural progression more so than an outside force all geared towards surface conformity. I think anyone can have a spiritual experience no matter what they do or do not believe. Again, from the viewpoint of Christianity, Christ didn't come to save perfect people(contrary to some perpetuation from Christian people that God only loves or cares when a person is doing the proper things).

In the end, it's more about what you believe. While advice is helpful, finding the truth for yourself makes it real and
right for you.
Kip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote