Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year" - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #31
country flag JoWillyTso
Banned!

JoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
No, they weren't. Djokovic had already a Slam, in Australia in 2008, as well as the World Tour Finals (the fifth most important tournament), not to mention he always had more weapons than Murray. They were not equal at all.
I am talking level of play, not on their acheivments. Ever since they were juniors they were always neck and neck, but it was Djokovic who managed to breakaway.
JoWillyTso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWillyTso View Post
But surely you would rather have Puerta, Tsonga or Philippoussis (Nadal, Djokovic and Federer's 1st slam opponents) than Federer or Djokovic?
So, what does that prove?

Puerta made life quite difficult for Nadal in the final, there's no reason to believe Murray would have beaten him in that Roland Garros final.

Philipoussis on fast grass isn't an easy opponent either, that serve alone makes him tough to beat.

And Tsonga? Do you happen to remember who Jo beat in the first round of that Australian Open 2008 before facing Djokovic in the final?

And anyway, the problem isn't that he lost to Federer and Djokovic. People wouldn't be slating him so much if he had at least shown some resistance in his finals, the problem is that he couldn't even put up a fight.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 04-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #33
country flag JoWillyTso
Banned!

JoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Each of those players mentioned earned their place in the final by winning six best of five matches in a row. They probaly knocked out some high seeded players on their way. They were healthy and played their best tennis before the final. Why would they suddenly be easy opponents in the final?
Sure they played well to get there, but experiene is one of the most important factors in a Grand Slam final and you can ask anyone on the tour and I'm sure they'd rather play an unseeded player in the final than Djokovic or Federer.
JoWillyTso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I honestly don't see why he's getting slated. Him and Djokovic were equal until Djokovic decided he wanted the glory for himself (2011).

As someone said before, Djoko already had a slam and a WTF.

Quote:
But surely you would rather have Puerta, Tsonga or Philippoussis (Nadal, Djokovic and Federer's 1st slam opponents) than Federer or Djokovic?
Before Tsonga, Djoko faced Federer in the USO 2007 final, he lost but he played a great match, having set points in the first two sets (better than any of Murray's finals).

Not to mention he beat Federer in the Semis to win AO 2008.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
So, what does that proof?

Puerta made life quite difficult for Nadal in the final, there's no reason to believe Murray would have beaten him in that Roland Garros final.

Philipoussis on fast grass isn't an easy opponent either, that serve alone makes him tough to beat.

And Tsonga? Do you happen to remember who Jo beat in the first round of that Australian Open 2008 before facing Djokovic in the final?

And anyway, the problem isn't that he lost to Federer and Djokovic. People wouldn't be slating him so much if he had at least shown some resistance in his finals, the problem is that he couldn't even put up a fight.
True. In all the finals, Murray hasn't been able to show that he's out there fighting for the win. It wouldn't be different if he faced someone like Puerta or Ferrer in the final. Having said this, I'd like to see him do well some day.

Singles Rank: 202
2007: QF Forest Hills CH, Turin CH, Scheveningen CH

Doubles Rank: 189
2007: W Turin CH (w/Dougie), F Scheveningen CH (w/Dougie)
Bobby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #36
country flag stanch

stanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond reputestanch has a reputation beyond repute

Nice attitude, but he could start with, I don't know, winning a Slam perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu_cheese View Post
He's only saying this to prevent Simon Reed from making the same prediction. Smart move.
stanch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

This is fantastic news. It means Andy is ready to finally win a couple of slams this year

Wimby-Olympics-USO triple anyone
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #38
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno why I'm bothering with this, but Fed's first 4 slam finalists were Scud (who was always great at Wimbledon), Safin, Roddick (was number 1 a few months earlier) and Hewitt. Very good players.
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #39
country flag LastRocket

LastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond repute

Murray has jinxed himself.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #40
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmazif View Post
Dunno why I'm bothering with this, but Fed's first 4 slam finalists were Scud (who was always great at Wimbledon), Safin, Roddick (was number 1 a few months earlier) and Hewitt. Very good players.
Fed did have some piss poor draws overall but people need to understand that his level at that time would win against anyone...so draws dont matter to him much
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
country flag reery

reery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond repute

He would need to win 2 slams this year. The French is his worst slam so that would leave winning Wimbledon and the USO back to back. Problem is not even Federer won his first 2 slams back to back.
reery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #42
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Very good attitude, only with this attitude he is able to finally finish the year as No. 3 in the world.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #43
country flag Hian-GOAT
Banned!

Hian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Oudin 3.0 Believe
Hian-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #44
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

He won't end the year as #1 unless he starts owning Djokovic, but he can definitely end the year #2. Definitely.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 16 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,928,448 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 456-142...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
country flag GOAT in progress

GOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT in progress has a reputation beyond repute

Murray can finish the year as #2 if and only if old weeper break the leg on golf, and tram hit Rafa in Barcelona as Gaudi
Mardy Fish: “I have played all of the top players but Novak is the toughest opponent because he has no weaknesses. With Roger you feel like you have a game plan of trying to get the ball into his backhand. With Rafa you feel like you can try to take his time away and get free points on your serve because he stands deeper in the court. With Novak, there is no safe place to hit the ball. And as a result you feel so much pressure playing him.”
GOAT in progress is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote