What do you feel about Filo V's current avatar? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think of Filo V's avatar?

I think it is in good taste 7 33.33%
I think it is in bad taste 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #91
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you feel about Filo V's current avatar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
What are your thoughts on death?
How about I show you a full course on Death by Professor Kagan.

Quote:
I'm reading Julian Barnes' Nothing to be Frightened Of where he discusses his fear of death and his lack of religiousness. To me, and to put it simplistically, religion makes death mpre acceptable - insofar as death could ever be acceptable - for people as it gives them some sort of promise of an afterlife. It seems like it's easy to dismiss it when you're young and death is generally quite far away; but what if you're suddenly faced with it, either your own or someone that you love? I can't foresee religion ever being a source of comfort for me (which is why I've taken to reading that Barnes book) but I just wonder what normal atheists think of this. It's okay to think of myself fading into oblivion once I die, but it's hard to really accept this when it comes to the people that I love.

I don't think I've expressed myself well but I hope you get what I mean.
I got what you mean.

There is a quote that is often attributed to Mark Twain (though I personally it to be misattributed): “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

When I die, I will not know I'm dead. Death is only significant insofar as it is related to life. I think you are right in that religious people might have a better chance at coping with death based on their beliefs in an afterlife. But I cannot help what I believe, and I certainly cannot believe in something just because it makes me feel good or I find it reassuring.

What I find rather striking, however, is the realisation that religious people do not seem to fear death less than atheists do. Surely they ought to congratulate themselves in the prospect of eternal bliss in paradise. But they overwhelmingly don't...

Let me ask you something though, what do you mean but "normal atheists"? Are you an "abnormal atheist"? What does that mean?

EDIT: That is one of the main issues I have with Christianity. Christianity has at its core the concept of redemption and the quest for salvation. Life is merely a transitional step, a stepping stone, a test for admission into the real life, the one that we shall experience eternally in paradise or in hell. That is such a limited and limiting view, it is phantasmagorically depressing to the point of being wicked. It deprives life of its meaning by turning it into a sort of a mixture between a rat lab experiment, an agility contest and a puppet show.

You and me and every single one of the 7 billion people on this planet are extremely fortunate to be individuals of the more highly evolved creature on this spec of dust. We exist for a brief period of time in the vastness of history, and then we're gone. Inevitably. I believe it to be not only our right, but also our duty as humans to do the best we can to contribute to the advancement and flourishing of our species. What better way to survive death than by leaving a mark in the memories of our fellow human beings. Is Mark Twain dead? Einstein? Aristotle? Shakespeare?

This is the only life we've got, so we ought to live it to its fullest and make the best of it.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).

Last edited by Har-Tru : 03-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #92
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Wow... Good one, ass clown.

How many threads have you started that have you as the topic? How many threads have you started in GM since Miami started?
Go buy a boyfriend, socially-inept loser.

Start thread=attention-whore? Interesting, since you yourself have started several, none of them being interesting. I guess all the mirrors in your house are broken.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #93
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Go buy a boyfriend, socially-inept loser.

Start thread=attention-whore? Interesting, since you yourself have started several, none of them being interesting. I guess all the mirrors in your house are broken.
You truly are a gay caricature, flyboy.

Do you deny the fact that you are an attention-whore? Don't you think that starting numerous threads about yourself is a sign of major attention-whorism?

It is evident it is just an act. The fact that you spam like there is no tomorrow since your return suggests that you have no life and that your stories are as fake as Johnny Grooves sex threads.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #94
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Look whos talking
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #95
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafarta&Grigorior♥ View Post
Look whos talking

I know this is supposed to be clever, but what you are trying to imply is unclear...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #96
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Look whos talking
I KNOW right

So tragic
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #97
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I KNOW right

So tragic
Answer these questions truthfully flyboy

Quote:

Do you deny the fact that you are an attention-whore? Don't you think that starting numerous threads about yourself is a sign of major attention-whorism?

then we'll have an idea of what tragic means...
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #98
I wanna taste u.

Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I know this is supposed to be clever, but what you are trying to imply is unclear...
Quote:
Dude look at your sigy, and better yet, look at your posts, i mean its obvious that you think you are smarter and clever with your words and the way you try to be more sensitive and wise about your answers and such and such but yet you end up sounding like a jackass and a douche trying to outsmart everyone else with your cleverness.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #99
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Quote:
Dude look at your sigy, and better yet, look at your posts, i mean its obvious that you think you are smarter and clever with your words and the way you try to be more sensitive and wise about your answers and such and such but yet you end up sounding like a jackass and a douche trying to outsmart everyone else with your cleverness.
Lol?

You might not like what I post, and I do understand why you feel attacked by my signature since it appears it does apply (I thought you were merely a castler, but then you started the last volume) , but what you are doing here is not really fair. I said that flyboy is an attention-whore, your post implied I am at least as bad as him. A ridiculous claim to say the least.

You know who else also lols for not reason? SdG. Think about that.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #100
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
Lol?

You might not like what I post, and I do understand why you feel attacked by my signature since it appears it does apply (I thought you were merely a castler, but then you started the last volume) , but what you are doing here is not really fair. I said that flyboy is an attention-whore, your post implied I am at least as bad as him. A ridiculous claim to say the least.

You know who else also lols for not reason? SdG. Think about that.
How can i feel attacked by your sigy, I think its the funniest thing ever, you're the one whose obsess with the castle, the ACC and CD & SDG, i mean come on, its obvious you dont see that you too are also an attention whore, whose trying to prove everyone wrong. You too need to look at yourself in the mirror and realized that you are an attention-whore.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #101
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Quote:
How can i feel attacked by your sigy, I think its the funniest thing ever, you're the one whose obsess with the castle, the ACC and CD & SDG, i mean come on, its obvious you dont see that you too are also an attention whore, whose trying to prove everyone wrong. You too need to look at yourself in the mirror and realized that you are an attention-whore.
You are missing many points completely.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #102
I wanna taste u.

No, im sure i didnt miss any points
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #103
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

And I thought we were getting along so well...
Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #104
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Battle of giants
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #105
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
How about I show you a full course on Death by Professor Kagan.
Thanks for this. I didn't know there are multiple videos so I was a bit confused when I was watching that video you posted, until I went to YouTube and found the rest of it. I like the way he sits cross-legged on the table when he lectures.

Quote:
I got what you mean.

There is a quote that is often attributed to Mark Twain (though I personally it to be misattributed): “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

When I die, I will not know I'm dead. Death is only significant insofar as it is related to life. I think you are right in that religious people might have a better chance at coping with death based on their beliefs in an afterlife. But I cannot help what I believe, and I certainly cannot believe in something just because it makes me feel good or I find it reassuring.

What I find rather striking, however, is the realisation that religious people do not seem to fear death less than atheists do. Surely they ought to congratulate themselves in the prospect of eternal bliss in paradise. But they overwhelmingly don't...
It's this thing that they say in response to news of a young person's impending death from a sudden disease - that it's "God's plan" - and the way they say it that seem to suggest that they are more adept at dealing with deaths than atheists. As an atheist though I can't help but find that highly offensive even though they don't mean any offence by it. Apart from how it makes no sense to me and therefore doesn't bring me any sort of comfort and in fact does the opposite, how do you reconcile the early, needless and cruel termination of a young life with a deity that apparently "planned" for it to happen? Doesn't that make a mockery out of life? How is that comforting in any way?

If it is indeed true that they don't fear death any less than us, then I don't see the point in having a religion at all.

Quote:
Let me ask you something though, what do you mean but "normal atheists"? Are you an "abnormal atheist"? What does that mean?
Sorry that was badly phrased - I meant ordinary atheists who aren't famous for writing books on atheism, like Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens.

Quote:
EDIT: That is one of the main issues I have with Christianity. Christianity has at its core the concept of redemption and the quest for salvation. Life is merely a transitional step, a stepping stone, a test for admission into the real life, the one that we shall experience eternally in paradise or in hell. That is such a limited and limiting view, it is phantasmagorically depressing to the point of being wicked. It deprives life of its meaning by turning it into a sort of a mixture between a rat lab experiment, an agility contest and a puppet show.

You and me and every single one of the 7 billion people on this planet are extremely fortunate to be individuals of the more highly evolved creature on this spec of dust. We exist for a brief period of time in the vastness of history, and then we're gone. Inevitably. I believe it to be not only our right, but also our duty as humans to do the best we can to contribute to the advancement and flourishing of our species. What better way to survive death than by leaving a mark in the memories of our fellow human beings. Is Mark Twain dead? Einstein? Aristotle? Shakespeare?

This is the only life we've got, so we ought to live it to its fullest and make the best of it.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote