need help from laver era experts - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
country flag pennypacker

pennypacker is on a distinguished road
Default need help from laver era experts

Hi,
i'm a collector of old tennis matches on dvd and am hoping maybe someone could help me out in identifying a particular match i recently aquired.
its a doubles match from 1968 between rod laver & roy emerson versus john newcombe & tony roche.
The match is played at roland garros and ive been told it was a semifinal.
but here lays the problem,
in 1968 besides the french open being played at roland garros there was also a few months later a tornament known as the french pro championships played at the same venue...i'm having a hard time finding any information on the doubles events from either of these tornaments so basically i'm still not sure which match i have.

as for the match itself its in french commentary (which isnt helpful because i cant speak a word),and is incomplete with laver and emmo leading 26 63 51.
any help would be appreciated

thanks!
pennypacker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need help from laver era experts

Well, it wasn't Roland Garros 1968 for sure

1/4 :

(1)Emerson/Laver d. Buding/Ulrich 6-0 6-3 6-4
(5)Nastase/Tiriac d. (4)Gimeno/Gonzales 6-3 6-2 10-8
(3)Hewitt/McMillan d. Batrick/Hutchins 6-1 6-2 6-1
(2)Rosewall/Stolle d. (7)Koch/Mandarino 7-5 6-4 6-3

1/2 :

(1)Emerson/Laver d. (5)Nastase/Tiriac 2-6 15-13 6-4 6-3
(2)Rosewall/Stolle d. (3)Hewitt/McMillan 6-3 6-2 6-4

Final :

(2)Rosewall/Stolle d. (1)Emerson/Laver 6-3 6-4 6-3
Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
country flag pennypacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal_Power View Post
Well, it wasn't Roland Garros 1968 for sure

1/4 :

(1)Emerson/Laver d. Buding/Ulrich 6-0 6-3 6-4
(5)Nastase/Tiriac d. (4)Gimeno/Gonzales 6-3 6-2 10-8
(3)Hewitt/McMillan d. Batrick/Hutchins 6-1 6-2 6-1
(2)Rosewall/Stolle d. (7)Koch/Mandarino 7-5 6-4 6-3

1/2 :

(1)Emerson/Laver d. (5)Nastase/Tiriac 2-6 15-13 6-4 6-3
(2)Rosewall/Stolle d. (3)Hewitt/McMillan 6-3 6-2 6-4

Final :

(2)Rosewall/Stolle d. (1)Emerson/Laver 6-3 6-4 6-3
well the match was definetly played at roland garros but i assume you're referring to what is also known as the french open.

surely it must be from the french pro championships then,
would love to track down the results from that tornament just to be sure but have only found singles results thus far.

anyway, many thanks for the info you were a big help.
may i ask from where you found those results?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Can be, I really don't have results from Pro event

On the site of one of the best man for tennis statistics you can find doubles draws for all 4 Majors in Open era.. with lot tie break resutls that stupid ATP don't give us http://voodemar.com/
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely is the Doubles SF from the French Pro 1968 (July 9-15).

But I have 5/3 third set before Roche retired.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Laver...gc.r_pw.&cad=b

This tournament arguably had a better draw than the open RG for top players like Newcombe were unable to play that one, mainly because of the event of "May 68".

It was the last year this tournament was held. The previous 4 or 5 years, it was held at Coubertin on indoor wood.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
country flag pennypacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

This tournament arguably had a better draw than the open RG for top players like Newcombe were unable to play that one, mainly because of the event of "May 68".

It was the last year this tournament was held. The previous 4 or 5 years, it was held at Coubertin on indoor wood.
ok great, many thanks for that...both you and nadal power were very helpful.
also when i mentioned the match was incomplete with laver/emerson leading 5-1 in the 3rd, i meant that's how much of the match i have on dvd...so looks like ive only missed the last 2 games before roche calls it a day.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

Until 1964 the French Pro was played at RG, then went to Coubertin. Rosewall won 8 French Pro titiles, 4 on clay and 4 indoor, beating Laver in the finals of the 4 indoor tournaments. On clay he beat Hoad twice, Gonzalez once and I think Gimeno in the other final. Therefore, like Nadal and Borg, Rosewall has 6 major titles on RG clay.
thrust is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote