Was Mardy Fish right or wrong? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #46
country flag Nixer

Nixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Mardy Fish right or wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
That's because the opposition either didn't bother to get it, or they tried to get it but they, for example, stretched for it but missed it and the ball goes past the opponent and goes to the stands/wall....then they celebrate.

The rule still stands. If you have the chance to even touch the ball before it bounces twice (but NOT necessarily having the chance to get it back), it is still hindrance if you celebrate before the point is over.
well yeah, touching would be enough then for hindrance
Nixer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #47
country flag Moose Limb

Moose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond repute

Why is this even a thread? Rules are rules and it couldn't be more blatant. "Right or wrong" would assume some sort of debate or uncertainty...there is absolutely none here.

Last edited by Moose Limb : 03-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Moose Limb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #48
country flag Moose Limb

Moose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of rules, however, why enforce some and not others? Take for example the amount of time allotted between points. The inconsistency is highly irksome.
Moose Limb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #49
country flag canbera

canbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond reputecanbera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
If Ebden was a pure sportsman who holds sportsmanship in the highest regard, he wouldn't have complained to the umpire because he knew he wasn't gonna make it anyway. Even if the umpire called hindrance, Ebden would have said "No. It's fine. I couldn't make the shot anyway"....
Who does that? It sounds like a noble attitude, but this sport is about winning, not giving the other guy a point he screwed up all by himself.

If you are in a position to make a play, no matter if your chances are high or low to actually win the point, you're not gonna give it away like that.

Ebden did what he had to do, he ran to the ball and took the present that Fish gave to him.. and one thing that everybody knows who plays and/ or watches tennis - you accept any present your opponent gives to you (:

Doesn't have to to anything with bad sportsmanship imo
canbera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #50
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbera View Post
Who does that? It sounds like a noble attitude, but this sport is about winning, not giving the other guy a point he screwed up all by himself.

If you are in a position to make a play, no matter if your chances are high or low to actually win the point, you're not gonna give it away like that.

Ebden did what he had to do, he ran to the ball and took the present that Fish gave to him.. and one thing that everybody knows who plays and/ or watches tennis - you accept any present your opponent gives to you (:

Doesn't have to to anything with bad sportsmanship imo
Exactly. It wasn't necessary to say "give him the point anyway". At the end of the day, it's the umpires decision and like so many times, arguments fail against them.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #51
country flag Broskie91

Broskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond reputeBroskie91 has a reputation beyond repute

just such a terrible decision by mardy
Broskie91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #52
country flag Mario000

Mario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond reputeMario000 has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't wrong. If Fish didn't shout, will Ebden return better or run faster?? Of course he wouldn't..so, it's bad decision by the umpire
Mario000 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #53
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

I googled the incident where Mardy called Gasquet a faggot. It seems that Mardy and a group of his friends or family were watching Gasquet vs. some other American. It could be that someone in the group Mardy was with called Gasquet a faggot, not Mardy himself.

In any case, Mardy is classless and frat boyish. I don't care for him, or a lot of the American men. A lot of them are real tools. I wish we had a success gay American player. That would give me life.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^

I forgot to add that I can only find blog posts about this, not official media. It seemed to happen, allegedly, at the 2005 or 2005 US Open.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #55
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario000 View Post
He wasn't wrong. If Fish didn't shout, will Ebden return better or run faster?? Of course he wouldn't..so, it's bad decision by the umpire
Right. And if someone hits a forehand that's only a few inches wide, it's ok if the other guy is far away and wouldn't have a shot anyway.

Singles Rank: 202
2007: QF Forest Hills CH, Turin CH, Scheveningen CH

Doubles Rank: 189
2007: W Turin CH (w/Dougie), F Scheveningen CH (w/Dougie)
Bobby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #56
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Mardy is right

Why you should agree to the rule if that's not right

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #57
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

didn't know i could dislike fish more than i did before.
ossie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #58
country flag benji47

benji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, no one watched the US Open women's final? Serena had a point that got the exact same point, she was furious and had another "outburst"...

Honestly, even though I strongly dislike Fish, in situations like this, the point should be replayed instead of giving it straight to the opponent. Fish and Serena both yelled "come on" because they saw that their opponents were completely out of position and thought they could celebrate already. It sure was a stupid thing to do but it wasn't like they did it "intentionally" so that their opponent could be affected.
benji47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote