Indian Wells R2: Harrison beats Troicki 7-6(5), 6-3 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #46
country flag navy75

navy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian Wells R2: Harrison beats Troicki 7-6(5), 6-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthsetshootout View Post
What I'm saying is that even if you're American, you don't have to act like you're in a hive. I don't like Harrison, his game may be more well-rounded than others, but he does have a tendency to mug from the baseline. I'm not a fan of what others like to call his "competitive fire," because more often than not he seems like a brat. Maybe he'll mature, who knows. Whether it's Tomic, Harrison, or Kei, there's a lot of hype that flares up only to die down after a disappointing result.
You aren't the first poster on here to say that regarding national biases, but I'm not sure that the hive comment is totally fair. I have been to three of the four Grand Slams, and tbh honest I would say that the Australian and French crowds are far more partisan than the Americans. It isn't rare for the majority of the crowd in the US to be against the American player, as people tend to identify more with their nationality/heritage than "being American," whereas an Aussie or Frechman at home is going to have at least >95% support.

In terms of maturity, what 19 year old isn't still immature from time to time? If you hate Harrison, then you surely must hate Tomic, who seems to have far more deep-seeded issues and narcissistic tendencies. Young is no doubt more immature as well, despite being three years older. Federer even had more temper tantrums at 19 than Harrison does.

You are completely right about the fickleness of MTF and the sporting world in general. Every loss by Nadal or Federer means that they should instantly retire, and every win by an under 20 player means that they are the future GOAT. That said, I think that you'll find that Harrison's bandwagon has largely flamed out on here at the moment despite him being only 19, as there was so much hype on him out of the USTA camps and when he was winning main draw matches at 15 that he's already considered a disappointment in the eyes of many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett
This is about the 4th post you've made today.
navy75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #47
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthsetshootout View Post
What I'm saying is that even if you're American, you don't have to act like you're in a hive. I don't like Harrison, his game may be more well-rounded than others, but he does have a tendency to mug from the baseline. I'm not a fan of what others like to call his "competitive fire," because more often than not he seems like a brat. Maybe he'll mature, who knows. Whether it's Tomic, Harrison, or Kei, there's a lot of hype that flares up only to die down after a disappointing result.
Americans are the least partisan posters on MTF generally. Harrison is one of the few young American players that have shown any promise, and he's been making a lot of improvements, gamewise and mentality wise, so it's normal he'd get a few bandwagonners.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #48
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Troicki is rubbish these days.
He is rubbish since he was born
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #49
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Harrison got the mentality of a champion but the game of a talented junior. Troicki got the game of a pro but the mentality of scared kid. Good win for Ryan all things considered.

If I'm not mistaken it's Garcia-Lopez next for young Harrison as Murray got upset. A very winnable match if GGL get the classic slump after a big win
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #50
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Lesser evil won. And to think Mugcki was close to top 10 at one point
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #51
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy75 View Post
You aren't the first poster on here to say that regarding national biases, but I'm not sure that the hive comment is totally fair. I have been to three of the four Grand Slams, and tbh honest I would say that the Australian and French crowds are far more partisan than the Americans. It isn't rare for the majority of the crowd in the US to be against the American player, as people tend to identify more with their nationality/heritage than "being American," whereas an Aussie or Frechman at home is going to have at least >95% support.

In terms of maturity, what 19 year old isn't still immature from time to time? If you hate Harrison, then you surely must hate Tomic, who seems to have far more deep-seeded issues and narcissistic tendencies. Young is no doubt more immature as well, despite being three years older. Federer even had more temper tantrums at 19 than Harrison does.

You are completely right about the fickleness of MTF and the sporting world in general. Every loss by Nadal or Federer means that they should instantly retire, and every win by an under 20 player means that they are the future GOAT. That said, I think that you'll find that Harrison's bandwagon has largely flamed out on here at the moment despite him being only 19, as there was so much hype on him out of the USTA camps and when he was winning main draw matches at 15 that he's already considered a disappointment in the eyes of many.
entire post quoted for truth
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #52
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
what’s abundantly clear is that doyle is completely reworking harrison’s game to avoid the 2h bh altogether by running around it and/or defensively slicing. unfortunately, there’s no way he can he reach the highest echelon of the game with such a glaring weakness. eventually the tour will adapt and expose him. in the meantime, his desire, speed and stamina will keep him competitive.
I thought he always play like this as long as I can remember (used the same tactic against Raonic last year and Doyle was't even his coach at the time ).

Ryan primarily uses his slice to put himself in better position to hit higher percentage backhand shot or to change pace/direction (allowing him to better utilize the whole court and throwing his opponent off rhythm). I like it and wish that more players would use it.

His teaching pro dad, Pat, instilled the slices in him since he was young (b/c his dad has a bad 1-handed backhand). Ryan used to have a 1-handed backhand before switching to a two-hander for more power.

I think his backhand is decent, not a weapon, but also not a major weakness. Like Murray said, you can't have too many holes in your game to be in the top echelon. If Roddick can spend most of his career in the 10 with mostly serve and forehand, I think Ryan will be fine. IMO, Ryan has more skills and variety than Roddick at this age.

Obviously, Ryan's serve is his best weapon (both 1st and 2nd). Not only does it give him cheap points and bailing him out during pressure times, it is a large part of his offensive points (1-2 punch, serve&volley, etc.). If his serve goes MIA, then he is screwed . The biggest issue for Ryan right now is consistency and that is also a problem for other young players including Tomic and Dimitrov.

I don't know if he can reach No.1 or win slams, only time can tell. But I know that he is fun to watch and is apparently the most exciting American prospect in quite a while.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #53
country flag Kworb

Kworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond reputeKworb has a reputation beyond repute

He also is a lot more composed on court this year. So he's working on the attitude as well.

Good chance now to defend his R4 points, he beat GGL here last year.
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #54
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Ryan. Raonic, Harrison (and Tomic unfortunately) look set to have an impact.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck next one

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #56
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

ryan is the man.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #57
country flag Vamos_Me_Rafa
Banned!

Vamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos_Me_Rafa has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Ryan.
Vamos_Me_Rafa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #58
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan f**kn Harrison This is a great win.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #59
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
I thought he always play like this as long as I can remember (used the same tactic against Raonic last year and Doyle was't even his coach at the time ).

Ryan primarily uses his slice to put himself in better position to hit higher percentage backhand shot or to change pace/direction (allowing him to better utilize the whole court and throwing his opponent off rhythm). I like it and wish that more players would use it.

His teaching pro dad, Pat, instilled the slices in him since he was young (b/c his dad has a bad 1-handed backhand). Ryan used to have a 1-handed backhand before switching to a two-hander for more power.

I think his backhand is decent, not a weapon, but also not a major weakness. Like Murray said, you can't have too many holes in your game to be in the top echelon. If Roddick can spend most of his career in the 10 with mostly serve and forehand, I think Ryan will be fine. IMO, Ryan has more skills and variety than Roddick at this age.
when comparing the rochus and ginepri matches in san jose to the troicki match yesterday, there’s been a noticable progression in terms of the degree and frequency to which he runs around the bh and utilizes the slice. he’s now willing to step further beyond the ad-court tram lines and he’s virtually abandoned the 2h bh drive (where he lacks depth and directional consistency) except on slow to medium paced balls where he has time to setup. one of the biggest issues with his 2h bh (among many) is that he drifts backward after making contact into a defensive posture, without resetting. after 10+ stroke rallies he often ends up 10-14 feet behind the baseline with no other option but to shag. the ao match versus murray was the clearest example of this.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #60
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
when comparing the rochus and ginepri matches in san jose to the troicki match yesterday, there’s been a noticable progression in terms of the degree and frequency to which he runs around the bh and utilizes the slice. he’s now willing to step further beyond the ad-court tram lines and he’s virtually abandoned the 2h bh drive (where he lacks depth and directional consistency) except on slow to medium paced balls where he has time to setup. one of the biggest issues with his 2h bh (among many) is that he drifts backward after making contact into a defensive posture, without resetting. after 10+ stroke rallies he often ends up 10-14 feet behind the baseline with no other option but to shag. the ao match versus murray was the clearest example of this.
For me, I was actually surprised that he didn't slice as much during the San Jose week (felt like his game was kinda off, didn't play like he normally does ~ might be the effect of the long flight back from Switerzland and the short amount of time of having to switch back from indoor claycourt). I was scratching my head when he played Raonic in San Jose; normally he would slice low to Raonic's backhand.

If you watch his matches from last year, you will notice that he sliced a lot ( and run around his backhand like most Americans) because he was not comfortable with his backhand. A lot of time, he will slice himself into position where he is comfortable enough to pull the trigger. His backhand has improved a lot since last year; he is beginning to hit more shots from that side than he normally does. I noticed that he added more weight to his shot since the offseason. I think he will continue to improve b/c of his work ethic.

Last edited by SapELee : 03-12-2012 at 11:03 PM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote