Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #331
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post
In Spain we usually say that rushing only is good for thieves and bad bullfighters. You can not urge an artist

i like it. well stated and well put.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #332
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting

at the 'if the ump doesn't enforce it's not my fault defense'. These guys are all adults, and I think have a brain. They know the rules. Why should the ump have to constantly remind them they're going over the allotted time?

Quote:
Is it time for tennis to bring in shot clock?
By Douglas Robson, Special for USA TODAY Updated 1d 16h ago

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – Novak Djokovic's five-set Australian Open thriller against Rafael Nadal left fans on their feet and the two players barely able to stand.

Prominent matches are stretching ever longer, a consequence not only of extensive baseline rallies and scarce net play but also because of blatant flouting of tennis' time rule.

As ESPN pointed out in its January broadcast, both players averaged more than 30 seconds between points — well above the 20 seconds allowed in Grand Slam play (regular ATP Tour events allow 25 seconds, another inconsistency).
Even after being warned by the umpire at the end of the second set, they remained well above the allowable limit.

Casual calculations show the match, which ended at 1:37 a.m. local time, would have run roughly an hour shorter had they stayed within the rule. The visible infringement by the sport's top two players has raised a Pandora's box of questions, not to mention attention and frustration among players, fans and media.

Roger Federer was unequivocal at the BNP Paribas Open here Wednesday.
"I think they are being too loose about it," the Swiss No. 3 said when asked if the time rule was being properly enforced by umpires.
Federer even took a swipe at his respected rival, Nadal, a notoriously pokey competitor. "I don't know how you can go through a four-hour match with Rafa and him never getting a time violation," he added.

Nadal, speaking Thursday, disagreed. He said the rule is being enforced properly but must be applied according to match conditions.
"The rules are there, but you cannot expect to play a six-hour match, play rallies of crazy points and rest 20 seconds," the No. 2 Spaniard said.

Federer, who plays with one of the quicker tempos on tour, is hardly alone in his call for better and more consistent enforcement. "It's the job of the referee to referee," Andy Roddick said last month. "So if guys are getting away with too much time, then it's not their fault."

Djokovic's obsessive ball bouncing and Nadal's protracted preening aside, ATP Tour and International Tennis Federation officials don't see between-point stalling as a widespread problem.

"The reason why this has become an issue is because two or three top players are slower than other players," said Enric Molina Mur, head of officiating for the ITF, which oversees the four Grand Slam tournaments and Davis Cup.
Mur, who spoke Wednesday by phone, concedes that there is room for improvement.

"I'd be lying if I said in every match it is being enforced properly," Mur added.
Like grunting, which some in the women's game feel pushes the limits of the hindrance rule, time violations border on cheating and certainly could be seen as gamesmanship.

Taking more than the allotted time negates a tactical advantage by allowing a physically drained opponent time to recover.

Some also say higher-ranked players receive preferential treatment. "If I try to do the same thing I'm going to get warning when the same person is spending 10 seconds longer," veteran American Michael Russell said. Ryan Harrison agrees that enforcement is "biased," but says top players have earned the luxury of extra leeway — though the rising American teenager sounded irritated that he received a time warning following a 42-shot rally in a first-round loss to No. 4 Andy Murray in Australia. While he backed away from calling time abuse cheating, the fiery 19-year-old says it is a problem.

"I'm in favor of consistency, and that's in all respects — foot faults, time violations, profanity in different languages," he said. Roddick, and Russell and Robby Ginepri are among those that would welcome an NBA-style electronic shot clock. "I think that would be a good idea," Ginepri said said las tmonth. "You have the radar gun there. Why not have it right above that?"

A shot clock has positives and negatives but might be too rigid, since many variables can contribute to a delay between points — crowd reaction, slow ball kids, conditions, length of rally and the natural playing tempos of players.
"Sometimes 20 seconds is more than adequate, and sometimes 25 seconds is clearly not long enough," Gayle Bradshaw, ATP executive vice president of rules and competition, wrote in an email. "This is why it is very difficult to critique a match solely by looking at a stopwatch."

Still others believe that the 20-25 second rule is no longer adequate considering the physical demands of the modern game. of the ITF, however, believes that 15 seconds is "reasonable" for a receiver to prepare to return serve.
If officials are increasingly aware of the chorus of concerns, they say there are few concrete changes in the works. Plus, Mur said, officials cannot suddenly ramrod stricter enforcement without educating players. It would be like cracking down on foot faulting, another lightly and patchily enforced rule.

"Like balls and strikes, we are striving for consistency in the enforcement of the rule and within the spirit of the rule," wrote Bradshaw, noting that the topic is sure to be discussed by the recently formed competition advisory group.
Mur is glad the issue is receiving more attention, especially because he considers 20 seconds for ITF events and 25 seconds for ATP events an unnecessary inconsistency.

"It won't be a good implementation without consensus," he says.
Federer, who does not favor a shot clock, hopes the game's various constituencies can come together, if for nothing else than a fear of driving fans away with drawn-out contests.

"It's a little thing," Federer says, "but you don't want to lose fans because of that."

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #333
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, I already said that. Artist is a well known synonym of Nadal

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #334
country flag Bigselber

Bigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond reputeBigselber has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Also,
Kanye
Bigselber is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #335
country flag Lleyton_

Lleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, I already said that. Artist is a well known synonym of Nadal
Good to hear that lumberjacks get more respect in Spain.
Lleyton_ is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #336
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

Also when you are the reciever you will want to get at least semi ready when your opponent starts bouncing. When your opponent takes one time 10 bounces another time 22 bounces this concentrating and getting ready will cost energy. While the server controls the start of the action and can pretty much relax the first 15 bounces when he serves at bounce 20. This is unfair in my opinion.
buzz is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #337
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Also when you are the reciever you will want to get at least semi ready when your opponent starts bouncing. When your opponent takes one time 10 bounces another time 22 bounces this concentrating and getting ready will cost energy. While the server controls the start of the action and can pretty much relax the first 15 bounces when he serves at bounce 20. This is unfair in my opinion.
personally that's my main concern, but still I would feel less upset about Djokovic's number of bounces which is usually the same : I'm used to that and can expect mentally when will be the last bounce, it's like a clockwatch,

but Nadal's routine has some variants during the match : oh I feel like touching my mouth once more, oh one bounce more, oh I feel like touching something else ... I can understand that "the artist is looking for his sensations" but I'm only the poor returning man on the other side of the net, and I try to concentrate ... and gosh I can't just get used to that fucking routine of "the artist"

Vida said "it doesn't change the results matches" : I can feel that it hurts Tsonga a lot in his matches against Nadal.

Yet, Tsonga has complained about that but he has also said that he has some difficulty with "Roger not taking his time" as Vida said

Anyway, that topic of the rhythm between points is not a minor one because I've often heard players talking about it in the way they analyse their match afterwards : it's definitely a way for Nadal to "get a control" on his matches, and I even think it suits with the fact that the points are long with him : both together make long matches and I can see Tsonga feels bad about that getting so long ...

Last edited by duong : 03-10-2012 at 06:14 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #338
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

the time wasting is getting so big that it gives enough time to the viewers to get some snacks from the fridge so i can see why the ATP doesn't do anything about it .

wouldnt be surprised if in a few years they start broadcasting commercial ads between serve points in nadull/faker matches.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #339
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

don't all the players time waste (according to the rules)

maybe the speeding up of the court would negate overtime and dull clubbing matches between physical specimens, not tennis players

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #340
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
According to Fedtards Rafa has zero talent and he is an idiot. And he says he need more than 20 seconds of rest after a long rally, so he lacks of stamina too. But despite all that this talentless moron pussy mug has more tittles than the alleged GOAT had at his age

Sure that Rafa fans are the deluded tards here
On the contrary, Rafa is very talented. Just not in tennis. That type of talent anyone can get with the right ... hmm.. how do I put it?

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #341
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Lets just allow players to abuse the cock as much as they want. Its what the casual fans are crying out for.

Ajde.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #342
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone? And obtain big $$$ while you are famous? Why then there aren't more guys who have stolen Rafa status in tennis world yet in this 7 years if there are a so easy recipe for success? Fedtards, oh poor Fedtards.... true tennis fans should feel sorry for them.
I am pretty sure you missed my whole point. The type of talent I was talking about anyone can get with the right connections. *wink wink

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #343
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa = Fed Killa View Post
Gotta love how Fedtards try and use cute pictures to counter intelligence and logic.

Perhaps that is why they fail just like Federer fails against Nadal.
You are still here?

Do you not have any shame or dignity left?

Or do you not have any intelligence at all to read my signature?
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread