Top 4: Who will be first to win his next 2 majors? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will be first to win his next 2 majors?

Andrew Murray [4] (GBR) 2 3.03%
Roger Federer [3] (SUI) 8 12.12%
Rafael Nadal [2] (ESP) 14 21.21%
Novak Djokovic [1] (SRB) 40 60.61%
None of them will win 2 more majors 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #46
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 4: Who will be first to win his next 2 majors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Hmm, well obviously we see it differently
I think that calling Mr. Djokovic the best player at Roland Garros last year is at best denial, or wishful thinking.
How can he be called the best player there when he advanced 2 rounds with a retirement and a walkover, beat a still out of shape del Potro in the 3rd round, and the under-performing Gasquet (never past the 3rd round in 7 previous attempts), and lost in the semis to Federer in 4 sets? Federer was good enough when he needed to be. He had a 2 set love lead and as he did most of the year, dropped his level for a bit, and made it closer than it should have been.

Djokovic has never had results past the semis at RG because there were simply at least 2 players better then he at RG.
There is no shame in losing to Nadal (perhaps the best player at Roland Garros in the Open Era - 45-1 match record) or Federer (1 win, 4 finals).

Mr. Djokovic clearly had the most favorable circumstances that he will ever have going into the tournament. I believe he only did as well as he did there and on clay last year, because he had supreme confidence going into those events from his continuous winning streak. As some other players have sometimes done, he thrives and survives on confidence and boldness to overcome other shortcomings. Even with his first loss at RG, his confidence was not daunted too much, as it was only one loss and to Federer. So Djokovic was able to go on and even do better things (including winning Wimbledon and the US Open - I'm sure Mr. Federer might question if Djokovic was the best player at the US Open, but winning an event is usually the best argument ).

Finally, how does 2 clay masters wins equal the best player on clay last year? Because in those 2 wins he beat the great clay King, Nadal? Nadal is not infallible on clay, especially in Madrid - 2 wins in 9. Nadal still won a clay masters, a 500 and RG, and the clay King for the year in most minds is whomever wins Roland Garros. It's pure conjecture to assume he would have beaten Nadal if he had somehow managed to get by Federer. We just don't know.

All of that said, could Djokovic somehow make it to the finals for the first time this year and win? Sure, anything is possible.

Respectfully,
masterclass
its the totality of the clay warrior domination of clay over the last 7 years that must be brought to bear and not 2 losses in simple, best of 3 sets foremats.

its also his record of 6-0 in the finals at RG that will and should worry the non-believers and the no-djokeeeeeeesians.

i dont believe he can be defeated at a RG final this year or the next if he is healthy and fit. its the topspin and its the will and he has the time he needs on clay to execute his strokes.

and with the best of 5 sets foremat, he has time to do his problem solving on the court. you may be able to take a set from him but that is all he going to allow you in the final.

sorry non-believers and no-djokeeeeeesians. no cigar in the final at RG.

RG: stands for ridiculously great.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #47
country flag OnlyOneGOAT
Banned!

OnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
its the totality of the clay warrior domination of clay over the last 7 years that must be brought to bear and not 2 losses in simple, best of 3 sets foremats.

its also his record of 6-0 in the finals at RG that will and should worry the non-believers and the no-djokeeeeeeesians.

i dont believe he can be defeated at a RG final this year or the next if he is healthy and fit. its the topspin and its the will and he has the time he needs on clay to execute his strokes.

and with the best of 5 sets foremat, he has time to do his problem solving on the court. you may be able to take a set from him but that is all he going to allow you in the final.

sorry non-believers and no-djokeeeeeesians. no cigar in the final at RG.

RG: stands for ridiculously great.
Sorry mate, maybe 2 years ago but not now. All the things you're saying are fair but it seems like you've forgotten that he's lost to ONE man EIGHT finals in a row. That has to count for something. To be truly dominant you can't lose to anyone 8 times in a row at anything.
OnlyOneGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #48
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

all that changes during this clay season.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #49
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic is declining, so he's got no chance of reaching even the final of RG.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote