Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #181
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assassin

It would be nice if he got 100 but it is not going to happen. I can't see him playing at 34 but hey you never know. His game is not too taxing so he could play for a while yet, that is just wishful thinking on my part I must say.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #182
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
It would be nice if he got 100 but it is not going to happen. I can't see him playing at 34 but hey you never know. His game is not too taxing so he could play for a while yet, that is just wishful thinking on my part I must say.

relax.

we specialize in the impossible here. the impossible we do immediately.

the totally impossible takes a little longer.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #183
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
I'm happy CD.
I was kinda nervous for this match, but Fed did well. 72 is a big number.
Now, you were so confident about your prediction, and you know this is MTF. In case of a fail, all the Anti-Fed army would be insulting you and the Pro-Fed army would call you a jinxer.
But you succeed and you were always IN with your prediction, even if the whole forum was against it.

Well played, sir. You always had my respect, and today I'm so ok with that.

Also.
This thread is a lucky one, we need to keep it up
Not the whole forum... Mr. viruzzz And yes, CD also had it right...

"...it's the obvious, really."
One, Mr. Federer outclassed Murray. 16 majors to 0, 9 on hard courts.
Doesn't matter if he hasn't won one a major recently, class sticks...and shows when the going gets tough.

Two, don't bet against Federer when conditions are faster and not high bouncing.

Three, Mr. Federer played a much tougher draw against tougher good fast court players than either Djokovic or Murray did.
When it came time to fight today, Murray would have benefited from stronger performances by Berdych and/or Djokovic.
This is very important for a player if they are going to have to fight later. Last year, Djokovic had a tougher road to the final and Federer had a very easy one, which hurt him, and Djokovic spanked him.

Federer had his ups and downs in the match on return. Did he get some help from Murray as well? Sure, but Federer's good service put a lot of pressure on Murray. Federer's serve was mostly impeccable, except for the solitary game where he played poorly at first, then Murray played brilliantly to break. But Federer quickly recovered his composure, which is something he wasn't able to do last year through the US Open, but has done it recently on several occasions where he has had to fight for the victory, and even in defeat like when he lost the Nadal match in the Australian Open this year. This has helped him toughen up.

Mr. Federer is on a roll right now. His wins are giving him more confidence. Since the US Open he has 33 wins out of 35 tour singles matches, with losses only to Nadal, and John Isner in the Davis Cup fiasco, and 6 titles (5 if you don't include the Davis cup win).
5 - 7 titles this year is well within his grasp, and a major is always possible, if he keeps this up. But not right away. Now starts the slow court season, which favors Mr. Nadal and Mr. Djokovic. He'll be happy to see them fight it out a few times, with Murray also in the mix, and if he can come out of it with a single title at the faster clay court in Madrid, and protect most of his other points through Roland Garros, I would think he will be happy and be in good stead for a grass attack.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #184
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

impressive post by general masterclass.

class does indeed stick for a while. and quality is still there. this dude has lost like 2 matches since the last u.s. open.

we dont want to sound arrogant but general masterclass, myself, and general javier the fearless are usually pretty damned objective and reasonable. we like to call it like we see it and we like to call it fair.

there is no appetite for spin on our side of the fence.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #185
country flag Tennis-Life

Tennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Not the whole forum... Mr. viruzzz And yes, CD also had it right...

"...it's the obvious, really."
One, Mr. Federer outclassed Murray. 16 majors to 0, 9 on hard courts.
Doesn't matter if he hasn't won one a major recently, class sticks...and shows when the going gets tough.

Two, don't bet against Federer when conditions are faster and not high bouncing.

Three, Mr. Federer played a much tougher draw against tougher good fast court players than either Djokovic or Murray did.
When it came time to fight today, Murray would have benefited from stronger performances by Berdych and/or Djokovic.
This is very important for a player if they are going to have to fight later. Last year, Djokovic had a tougher road to the final and Federer had a very easy one, which hurt him, and Djokovic spanked him.

Federer had his ups and downs in the match on return. Did he get some help from Murray as well? Sure, but Federer's good service put a lot of pressure on Murray. Federer's serve was mostly impeccable, except for the solitary game where he played poorly at first, then Murray played brilliantly to break. But Federer quickly recovered his composure, which is something he wasn't able to do last year through the US Open, but has done it recently on several occasions where he has had to fight for the victory, and even in defeat like when he lost the Nadal match in the Australian Open this year. This has helped him toughen up.

Mr. Federer is on a roll right now. His wins are giving him more confidence. Since the US Open he has 33 wins out of 35 tour singles matches, with losses only to Nadal, and John Isner in the Davis Cup fiasco, and 6 titles (5 if you don't include the Davis cup win).
5 - 7 titles this year is well within his grasp, and a major is always possible, if he keeps this up. But not right away. Now starts the slow court season, which favors Mr. Nadal and Mr. Djokovic. He'll be happy to see them fight it out a few times, with Murray also in the mix, and if he can come out of it with a single title at the faster clay court in Madrid, and protect most of his other points through Roland Garros, I would think he will be happy and be in good stead for a grass attack.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass, Great post
Tennis-Life is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #186
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
sorry. no slams for fed reery. there is an outside chance for fed at wimbledon but he has to be in the same side of the draw as NoDjok. and NoDjok would have to be a little off.

then, and only then, can fed finde himself in the final. once there, it is anybody`s ball game.

i will answer the rest of your question later.
Mr. CD, if the US Open is back to being faster, like pre-2010-2011, he is always going to be a definite threat there. There were many complaints last year about the slowness of the court, sometimes the tournaments react to those comments. Even if it isn't faster, he's still a threat, but he needs better luck and more toughness than the last couple of years. I think he has become tougher the last few months, but needs to carry that into the US Open.

At Wimbledon, I agree that a favorable draw would help as you said, but even better would be if the weather gods help him. Intermittent rain and cloudy weather would keep the dust down and the base from baking hard in the sun, and the consequent high bounces once the grass wears down in the second week. If that happens, he is very dangerous there, but it's probably only a 1 in 6 chance.

At Roland Garros, he's a threat to win only if Rafael Nadal goes down somehow.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #187
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Mr. CD, if the US Open is back to being faster, like pre-2010-2011, he is always going to be a definite threat there. There were many complaints last year about the slowness of the court, sometimes the tournaments react to those comments. Even if it isn't faster, he's still a threat, but he needs better luck and more toughness than the last couple of years. I think he has become tougher the last few months, but needs to carry that into the US Open.

At Wimbledon, I agree that a favorable draw would help as you said, but even better would be if the weather gods help him. Intermittent rain and cloudy weather would keep the dust down and the base from baking hard in the sun, and the consequent high bounces once the grass wears down in the second week. If that happens, he is very dangerous there, but it's probably only a 1 in 6 chance.

At Roland Garros, he's a threat to win only if Rafael Nadal goes down somehow.

Respectfully,
masterclass

affirmative on all accounts.

i have to run to the store before the semi at delray beach.

will relpy to your post more adequately later.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #188
country flag masterclass

Quote:
impressive post by general masterclass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis-Life View Post
masterclass, Great post
Thanks for the kind words, but it's only because I have wonderful subject matter to inspire me. , and other nice posters who support and don't mind my admittedly lengthy posts.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #189
country flag masterclass

Quote:
affirmative on all accounts.

i have to run to the store before the semi at delray beach.

will relpy to your post more adequately later.
ok, mr. CD. Watch out for traffic.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #190
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Good call on predicting the eventual winner early on, Clay Death.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #191
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

mister clay death and mister masterclass
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #192
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

CD and Masterclass discussing serious tennis in the same thread.

I wanna join here.

I agree with Federer having a big chance in Madrid. Last year it was pretty fast and he won a set over Rafa, coming from a break down. He lost the match, but it was close and it could go other way.
Besides this, I see Nadal claming his "clay god" status. Montecarlo is always his tournament.
I think he would win Rome this year (who knows, maybe a victory over Nole).
And about Roland Garros... At the begining of the year a had a hearbeat this time it won't be won by Rafa. I still consider that heartbeat, but thinking seriously, I think he will win it easily.

A curious fact is Federer is playing just 3 clay tournaments in the whole year. No estoril or another 250, and no Montecarlo.
So, he'd probably rest well and be prepared for those matches. who knows?
Surprises did happen before.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #193
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is on a great roll... but we shouldn't get overexcited about that: slow, high-bouncing courts are there just behind the corner. He should focus on madrid, which should be fast enough, but he might be rusty after a month without play (no montecarlo).

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #194
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

People kissing masterclass and claydeath's asses . There is nothing that has been said we don't already know. The Swiss is a fantastic player on fast courts. On slow hard courts great defenders like Nadal, Murray and the Djoker give him a tough time. Mentally he has improved over the last few months because quite frankly the guy has nothing more to prove. The pressure is off. The talk is all about the new rivalry of Djoker-Nadal. Murray has also been stealing the headlines with the appointment of Ivan.
As well as Federer is playing when it comes to the majors he will never get past you know who.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #195
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
CD and Masterclass discussing serious tennis in the same thread.

I wanna join here.

I agree with Federer having a big chance in Madrid. Last year it was pretty fast and he won a set over Rafa, coming from a break down. He lost the match, but it was close and it could go other way.
Besides this, I see Nadal claming his "clay god" status. Montecarlo is always his tournament.
I think he would win Rome this year (who knows, maybe a victory over Nole).
And about Roland Garros... At the begining of the year a had a hearbeat this time it won't be won by Rafa. I still consider that heartbeat, but thinking seriously, I think he will win it easily.

A curious fact is Federer is playing just 3 clay tournaments in the whole year. No estoril or another 250, and no Montecarlo.
So, he'd probably rest well and be prepared for those matches. who knows?
Surprises did happen before.

great post. looking a little further ahead, i think fed is going to do quite well after the u.s. open again. this year he is even better than he was last year. he is also armed with some added confidence.