Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #151
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The King of 100 Titles : The Great Swiss Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
does anyone know exactly how many indoor events he is taking part in after the u.s. open?

i mean other than the obvious WTF in london.
Shanghai, Basel, Paris are on his official schedule.
Whether he'll indeed show up at all of those will remain to be seen.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #152
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

he could snatch those 3.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #153
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

It's pure conjecture of course, as there are so many factors and so many things could happen. We don't know who might be injured, or what the weather will be like (yes, the margins are so small among the top players, playing conditions affected by weather make a difference), and other factors. I think the best one can do is give best case, worst case scenarios.

+Legend:
Bold = excellent chance to win,
Bold Italic = could win under favorable circumstances
Italic = outside chance under best circumstances
Normal = little or no chance
+ if questionable as to which category a tournament falls, I have leaned toward the more generous

Federer's Scheduled Tournaments:

Outdoor Hard Winter/Spring:
Dubai - if it is not too cool and Mr. Djokovic is not at his best, or if Mr. Federer is at his best.
Indian Wells - little chance, conditions too slow/high bouncing, let Nadal/Djokovic duel in the sun
Miami - little chance, conditions too slow/high bouncing, let Nadal/Djokovic duel in the sun

Clay:
Madrid - Blue clay this year, one of the fastest clay courts and not too high bouncing.
Rome - An outside chance, but things would have to go his way.
Roland Garros - if someone upsets Rafael Nadal early, then Federer is the next best RG player.

Grass:
Halle - normal fast low bouncing grass, Nadal should lose by the semi-final. Federer should take this if in form.
Wimbledon - depends on the weather and a good draw. If it is dry all tournament, Mr. Federer is in trouble as the wear and tear on the court will make the second week too high bouncing for him. If he gets lucky and they have rain prior or during that soaks the base, the bounce will be lower and he will have an excellent chance.
? - he may ask for an invitation in another tournament during the 3 week interval.
Olympics - played at Wimbledon, but with new grass, 3 set matches (except the final), and only a week of play, it works in Federer's favor.
Gold=750 points, Silver=450, Bronze=340

Outdoor Hard Summer/Fall:
Toronto - outside chance at best
Cincinnati - fast hard court, could win but other fast court players will also have a good chance.
US Open - If conditions are relatively fast (per usual), this will be Federer's best chance to take a major. If the courts are soaked like last year, or have been slowed down by too gritty a coat of paint, probably not.
Shanghai - Conditions have slowed down a lot over recent years. If it were faster, his chances would improve.

Indoors:
Basel - defending, he should not lose his home tournament
Paris - defending, possible early *withdrawal as this tourney will finish a day before the WTF.
WTF - defending, likes the O2 surface, not fast, but relatively low bouncing. Always tough competition, depends on his end of season energy as opposed to the other players.

Total # of excellent and could win under favorable circumstances: 10
If we take 20% of those away because he will be tired due to playing too deep in tournaments close together, then it is: 8
If we only count the excellent chances then it is: 5
If he enters another unscheduled tournament that favors him, add 1.
If he doesn't take any of the could wins, and muffs the excellent chances, then obviously, he could end up with under 5.
More realistically, I think it will even out. So 4-6 titles would be no surprise. 10 or more would be amazing for him, 3 or less, disappointing.

*Could selectively withdraw from tournaments post US Open if tired/hurt.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited by masterclass : 02-29-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: competition spelled wrong
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #154
country flag mcavoyfan

mcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond repute

^WOW, great analysis!!

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTROJO-WILFRIED TSONGARICHARD GASQUET

Not a fan of Nadal or Djokovic but respect their achievements
mcavoyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #155
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
It's pure conjecture of course, as there are so many factors and so many things could happen. We don't know who might be injured, or what the weather will be like (yes, the margins are so small among the top players, playing conditions affected by weather make a difference), and other factors. I think the best one can do is give best case, worst case scenarios.

+Legend:
Bold = excellent chance to win,
Bold Italic = could win under favorable circumstances
Italic = outside chance under best circumstances
Normal = little or no chance
+ if questionable as to which category a tournament falls, I have leaned toward the more generous

Federer's Scheduled Tournaments:

Outdoor Hard Winter/Spring:
Dubai - if it is not too cool and Mr. Djokovic is not at his best, or if Mr. Federer is at his best.
Indian Wells - little chance, conditions too slow/high bouncing, let Nadal/Djokovic duel in the sun
Miami - little chance, conditions too slow/high bouncing, let Nadal/Djokovic duel in the sun

Clay:
Madrid - Blue clay this year, one of the fastest clay courts and not too high bouncing.
Rome - An outside chance, but things would have to go his way.
Roland Garros - if someone upsets Rafael Nadal early, then Federer is the next best RG player.

Grass:
Halle - normal fast low bouncing grass, Nadal should lose by the semi-final. Federer should take this if in form.
Wimbledon - depends on the weather and a good draw. If it is dry all tournament, Mr. Federer is in trouble as the wear and tear on the court will make the second week too high bouncing for him. If he gets lucky and they have rain prior or during that soaks the base, the bounce will be lower and he will have an excellent chance.
? - he may ask for an invitation in another tournament during the 3 week interval.
Olympics - played at Wimbledon, but with new grass, 3 set matches (except the final), and only a week of play, it works in Federer's favor.
Gold=750 points, Silver=450, Bronze=340

Outdoor Hard Summer/Fall:
Toronto - outside chance at best
Cincinnati - fast hard court, could win but other fast court players will also have a good chance.
US Open - If conditions are relatively fast (per usual), this will be Federer's best chance to take a major. If the courts are soaked like last year, or have been slowed down by too gritty a coat of paint, probably not.
Shanghai - Conditions have slowed down a lot over recent years. If it were faster, his chances would improve.

Indoors:
Basel - defending, he should not lose his home tournament
Paris - defending, possible early *withdrawal as this tourney will finish a day before the WTF.
WTF - defending, likes the O2 surface, not fast, but relatively low bouncing. Always tough competition, depends on his end of season energy as opposed to the other players.

Total # of excellent and could win under favorable circumstances: 10
If we take 20% of those away because he will be tired due to playing too deep in tournaments close together, then it is: 8
If we only count the excellent chances then it is: 5
If he enters another unscheduled tournament that favors him, add 1.
If he doesn't take any of the could wins, and muffs the excellent chances, then obviously, he could end up with under 5.
More realistically, I think it will even out. So 4-6 titles would be no surprise. 10 or more would be amazing for him, 3 or less, disappointing.

*Could selectively withdraw from tournaments post US Open if tired/hurt.

Respectfully,
masterclass
superb analysis. by far the best post of this thread.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #156
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mcavoyfan and CD. Just thinking a bit further... IF Mr. Federer can take 1 major (let's say the US Open) and the Olympics, that's a net gain of almost 1500 points. Then if Nadal takes Roland Garros, and someone besides Djokovic takes Wimbledon, then Djokovic has lost a net of 1600 points, just in the majors. In this scenario, Federer or Nadal have a fair chance at #1. Mr. Djokovic still has more to defend. So, I think Djokovic must take 1 more major somewhere to be pretty assured of #1 at the end of the year. It's going to be very interesting May - Sept.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #157
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

defending wimbledon is not going to be easy this year masterclass. i have a feeling that fed, murray, and the clay warrior will eventually figure out NoDjok. they have to be tired of getting beat by him by now anyway.

i expect fed and murray to be more prepared this time around for wimbledon.

also nadal will roll into wimbledon after having caprtured his 7th french open so he will be riding a wave of confidence.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #158
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Thanks mcavoyfan and CD. Just thinking a bit further... IF Mr. Federer can take 1 major (let's say the US Open) and the Olympics, that's a net gain of almost 1500 points. Then if Nadal takes Roland Garros, and someone besides Djokovic takes Wimbledon, then Djokovic has lost a net of 1600 points, just in the majors. In this scenario, Federer or Nadal have a fair chance at #1. Mr. Djokovic still has more to defend. So, I think Djokovic must take 1 more major somewhere to be pretty assured of #1 at the end of the year. It's going to be very interesting May - Sept.

Respectfully,
masterclass
a point to be noted general masterclass.

i think there chance sometime between the french open and the u.s. open for something to happen. #1 rank will be could be decided for 2012 in that time span.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #159
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

anybody still doubting my pridiction that Fed is going to snatch the title in dubai?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #160
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
If he goes to the Asian swing, he'll probably get one there.

i think he is snatching a title tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #161
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i think he is snatching a title tomorrow.
I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #162
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

now back on topic:

fed will snatch his 72nd title tomorrow. i think 3-5 more for the remainder of the year is looking more possible now.

so that means he could be sitting on 77 titles by the end of 2012.

that leaves just 23 to make it a total of 100. i think a guy like fed--if he can keep his health and his drive--is certainly capable of 23 more titles in the next 5-6 years.

i believe he plays until he is 38 or 39 so he will have more than enough time to pull that off.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #163
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
anybody still doubting my pridiction that Fed is going to snatch the title in dubai?
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #164
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i am almost always right. just bump this thread after Fed snatches title #72 today.
Fed looked like a man on a mission today out there... too bad the next tournaments are on slow courts...

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #165
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

thanks Johnbert. maybe now they will start paying attention to us.

congrats to fed, his team, his family, and all his fans. title #72 is snatched and day`s work is done.

exactly like i called it 3 weeks ago.