Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

Yes, S&V is for mugs 43 17.34%
No, wish S&V came back 160 64.52%
Neutral 45 18.15%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #91
country flag DorianGray7

DorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
what is old is new again... and, it will be that way...

defensive and counterattacking baseline tennis today has been pushed to a high level, and unless new players are happy just to sit back and make a living in the top 50 or grow a third lung then that won't change...

to take a slice of the pie at the very top in today's game, you're either gonna have to fight fire with fire and grow that 3rd lung... or, make your game dynamic and full of anti-rhythm... this of course will include many forays to the net both behind the serve and during general play - and it should not be forgotten: sharp, sublime world class volleys...

the lost arts of attacking take longer to groom and are almost forgotten, and the path of least resistance to bankrolling your career is no doubt to stalk your opponent for hours from the baseline... so unless you wanna run a marathon every match, then high level attacking play must come back...
um dude... pently of players tried to do this. Taylor Dent, Roger Federer, Mika Llodra... and all failed. Racquets are too good now and courts are too slow - there isn't even a grass season anymore and S&V has almost 0% margin for error.

Llodra is probably the best volleyer on tour, having won 3 doubles grand slams but even he is rank 50-something. He is actually the only S&V in the top 200.
DorianGray7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #92
country flag DorianGray7

DorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond repute

That said anyone who saw Llodra-Roger's best boyhood friend Chiudinelli had a real treat.

Pure serve & volley done right. Really enjoyed it.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #93
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianGray7 View Post
um dude... pently of players tried to do this. Taylor Dent, Roger Federer, Mika Llodra... and all failed. Racquets are too good now and courts are too slow - there isn't even a grass season anymore and S&V has almost 0% margin for error.

Llodra is probably the best volleyer on tour, having won 3 doubles grand slams but even he is rank 50-something. He is actually the only S&V in the top 200.
Rogie's failure of a career is the final nail in the coffin for attacking tennis thats for sure.

RIP.

Ajde.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal!
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #94
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Rogie's failure of a career is the final nail in the coffin for attacking tennis thats for sure.

RIP.

Ajde.
+1.

Ajde.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #95
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianGray7 View Post

your examples, excluding federer, are D-Grade attackers when compared with the likes of mcenroe, edberg, becker, rafter and sampras... federer only opted out of the full court press due to sound defence, and perhaps the greatest forehand of all time - so why wouldn't he abandon attacking when he can point end at the back, behind a superior service...

llodra, stepanek, dent... all D-Grade...

thanks for posting
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #96
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Hass = A+

Ajde,

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #97
country flag DorianGray7

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/04/sp.../04llodra.html

Great NYTimes article on Llodra.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #98
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
I love it when people post highlights which means they have nothing to say . Most of those highlights don't show 90% of rest of the game that was utter garbage. It's also easy to be aggressive when you know that the other guy can't hurt you.
highlights of guga vs federer on clay and you think neither man could hurt someone from the baseline?

that game was not garbage, as you put it- it showcased all of federer's game and in the 2nd set all of guga's

the highlights were just a taste of how wonderfull that match was

actually i do have something more to say

its almost become mtf fact to say that 1998-2002 was considered some kind of transitional era- i personally consider 2002 to be the strongest year of the decade

agassi was at his peak
hewitt was amazing
nalbandian too
safin dominated the ao- only to get drunk before the final
federer showcased his true all court game
haas even more so- knocking federer out of the ao- haas's all court game was amazing

the surfaces stilll played different enough to allow sampras to win the us open with s&v

best match of the year? possibly the federer hewitt semi final at the tmc-

best display of all court federer i ever saw- sadly the loss probably put him off attacking the net ever again- and helped fashion him into the baseline attacking monster he became
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #99
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame this poll is not public.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #100
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

RIP.

Ajde.
So Federer is an "attacking player" whatever that is despite a slice being his main shot by far?
Or are you trying to make yourself feel better since your comedy act is wearing thin.
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #101
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Ajde.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #102
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

this whole Ajde thing is killing me, lol. you guys are crazy. anyway, S&V will not go away but it's simply too easy for a good baseliner to win a point if the other player tries to serve and voley all the time. I still don't understand this big deal about S&V really. nostalgia. I find tennis much more interesting nowadays than back then in "S&W' era.

AJDE, LOL
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #103
country flag Jamoz

Jamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
this whole Ajde thing is killing me, lol. you guys are crazy. anyway, S&V will not go away but it's simply too easy for a good baseliner to win a point if the other player tries to serve and voley all the time. I still don't understand this big deal about S&V really. nostalgia. I find tennis much more interesting nowadays than back then in "S&W' era.

AJDE, LOL
Ajde+Vamos und Bamos!!
Jamoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #104
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
So Federer is an "attacking player" whatever that is despite a slice being his main shot by far?
Or are you trying to make yourself feel better since your comedy act is wearing thin.
The average posting level of Noletards has undoubtedly peaked with this gem.

Ajde

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #105
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been more proud to count myself as a Noletard.

Ajde.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote