Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #61
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats harder running a marethon or playing 5 sets over 6 hours?

guys, I can't even believe we talk about this stuff. tennis is so much more complicated and sophisticated. I respect marathon players but please... what are we talking about here? Can Nole and Nadal be great marathon players? lol
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #62
country flag indianabones

indianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't played tennis in my life, have played some squash and I do feel some cramp in my arm after about 10 mins. Given how hard these guys were hitting ball well after 5 sets, I cannot begin to imagine how fit they are and how demanding the contest was on their stamina and endurance.

I would much rather run a marathon, even if took me over 4 hours, than to play tennis for 6 hours because of the amount of energy you'd have to put into practically every shot from the baseline.

I said this to my brother when we were watching the AO final, I think we were watching not only a contest between the top 2 in Tennis, but we were watching a contest in my opinion between to two most athletic and fit men on earth.
indianabones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #63
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Cross country skiing is harder than tennis, and yes marathons are harder than tennis. The ball was not in play for the whole length of the match, not like marathon runners can have breaks, taking a minute in between points, sit down for 90 sec and run again.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #64
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianabones View Post
I haven't played tennis in my life, have played some squash and I do feel some cramp in my arm after about 10 mins. Given how hard these guys were hitting ball well after 5 sets, I cannot begin to imagine how fit they are and how demanding the contest was on their stamina and endurance.

I would much rather run a marathon, even if took me over 4 hours, than to play tennis for 6 hours because of the amount of energy you'd have to put into practically every shot from the baseline.

I said this to my brother when we were watching the AO final, I think we were watching not only a contest between the top 2 in Tennis, but we were watching a contest in my opinion between to two most athletic and fit men on earth.
Hahaha.
Just;

Hahahaha.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #65
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Cross country skiing, biathlon, skiing, and yes marathon are way more difficult for the body and waterpolo, too. But ok, skiing and waterpolo are time limited. Bloody socks? Marathon runners have them too, and caluses, and urine and feces in their pants sometimes, sometimes they also vomit... And it is funny how we all drool over the 6h play in AO, how about Isner Mahut on the 2nd day of their match at Wimby?? oh wait, they served better so they didn't run that much. ok.. the amount of time on court is still there.

Last edited by MM_1257 : 02-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
MM_1257 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #66
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Just imagine Djokovic and Nadal running a marathon. Would they finish it? Sure. After a few days. Why? Because of toweling off after every few meters, taking injury time-outs and resting every now and again.
+1 This.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #67
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Its also Marathon.

Im aware of the fact marathoners taper off about a week before their big race, but generally they train all year round. Note, theyre still running every day, just not as hard.

Yet the funny thing is, the ones who have a marathon at the end of the year dont get tired toward that part of the year like some tennis players strangely go missing for the last 3 months of the year at WTF time. That also proves they're fitter.

But in terms of their long run, most of the serious ones do a long run longer than the actual marathon every weekend.

And when I say long run, its not an easy long run, its a steady pace, somewhere about 10% below race speed.

Guess what, they probably did a 16 mile run the day before. They didnt get 2 days to rest and prepare for it.

This is part of the reason I created the thread I did about how can players be stiff and tired after 2 days rest, and people laughed at me.

Yet the same people are trying to tell me that tennis players are fitter than or as fit as runners, yet runners can be fresh the next day after 26 mile long runs. Let alone 2 days.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #68
country flag 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Cross country skiing is harder than tennis, and yes marathons are harder than tennis. The ball was not in play for the whole length of the match, not like marathon runners can have breaks, taking a minute in between points, sit down for 90 sec and run again.
I reckon. This is what people dont understand.

I remember when I started running, over eager as I might have been, I didnt ease my way into it, I insisted on doing 10 mile runs at steady speed.

Of coruse, gallant as I was, I couldnt do it without resting.

Taking 5-6 90 second sit down rests, and the odd walk break, say 8 of those, makes it infinately easier.

People here also dont understand the hitting the wall that happens somewhere in the second half of the marathon. In terms of the mental strenth needed to "race" those things let alone complete them.

I have seen people in tears, ive seen people throwing up, ive seen people doing the strangest limping I have ever seen after those events.

Havent seen that too much on a tennis court. Well not crying for that reason.

Last edited by 2003 : 02-16-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #69
country flag Mateya
Mateja Seppieva

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing can compare to steaming three hours with Seppi.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour Association of tennis players without variety and plan B.
Thanks for your votes.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #70
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

federer wouldn't have the faintest idea. he'd need to be paid to pose for photos with champions.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #71
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
I have seen people in tears, ive seen people throwing up, ive seen people doing the strangest limping I have ever seen after those events.

Havent seen that too much on a tennis court. Well not crying for that reason.
If you judge it by throwing up and limping after events then rugby players, 100m sprinters, greco roman wrestlers and gymnasts must not be very fit either.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #72
country flag 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianabones View Post
we were watching a contest in my opinion between to two most athletic and fit men on earth.
They arent even the most athletic or fit men in their own sport mate.

Athletic would probably be Monfills.

And fit, well, I still think Federer and Murray and Hewitt and Roddick are the most fit.

They dont waste as much time between points and are always eager to get on with the serve as quickly as possible.

And how could I forget Ferrer. That guy is just a fitness machine.

Last edited by 2003 : 02-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #73
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
They arent even the most athletic or fit men in their own sport mate.

Athletic would probably be Monfills.

And fit, well, I still think Federer and Murray and Hewitt and Roddick are the most fit.

They dont waste as much time between points and are always eager to get on with the serve as quickly as possible.
a sweaty mess and invariably injured guy is not in the fittest category.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #74
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hats off to the mares.

BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #75
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Nole would have a difficult time performing well at a marathon. How would he translate his skills (faking, cheating, bouncing) to the event. Plus, his secret weapon (injury time-out) would be a disadvantage. Wasting time would not help him win.

As far as Nadal is concerned, he would have to have his underwear surgically removed from his crack afterwards. Plus the bottle ritual would be difficult to manage.

I would not put my money on either of them.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote