DC Round 1: Isner defeats Federer 4-6 6-3 7-6 6-2 (USA leads 2-0) - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #241
country flag MrEleganza

MrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond reputeMrEleganza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DC Round 1: Isner defeats Federer 4-6 6-3 7-6 6-2 (USA leads 2-0)

The court undoubtedly helped Isner. But that said, did anyone think it would matter beforehand? Federer may not underestimate any opponent, but that doesn't mean Swiss DC organizers don't. I picked SUI to win this tie 4-1. If I would've posted, pre-match, "The ball bounces really high on this court, do you think this will throw the match to Isner?" I don't think anyone could've taken the question seriously, let alone agree that it would.

ALL AMERICANS|(almost)ALL UPSETS|YOUR MOM
MrEleganza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #242
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleganza View Post
The court undoubtedly helped Isner. But that said, did anyone think it would matter beforehand? Federer may not underestimate any opponent, but that doesn't mean Swiss DC organizers don't. I picked SUI to win this tie 4-1. If I would've posted, pre-match, "The ball bounces really high on this court, do you think this will throw the match to Isner?" I don't think anyone could've taken the question seriously, let alone agree that it would.
To a biased fan or less discerning observer, probably not. They usually look at the overall and/or head to head record.
But to an unbiased learned observer that weighs all factors, the conditions are a serious factor.
Due to his height, Mr. Isner slaps high bouncing balls without hesitation and Mr. Federer has consistently struggled.
The outcome? "It's the obvious, really".
What is simply amazing is that Swiss Tennis didn't alter the court to be better suited to their #1 player.
I'm sure this is one of the questions that will be scrutinized...

I'll be very interested on how this result improves Mr. Isner's confidence and results.
Big Davis Cup wins have been a spring board in improving many careers.
I see him as the only American threat at a major this year. But he needs a good draw and some luck to have a chance.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #243
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

havent watched this but for what its worth I can recall isner djoko DC match from few years back in belgrade, on bad clay court. granted it was a pre-monster version of djoko but never the less, isner almost won that one and it didnt seem clay disfavoured him at all, but it rather helped his otherwise poor return game.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #244
country flag peRfect-Tennis

peRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Bad bounce or no bad bounce Fed shouldn't be losing to Isner! But it's Davis Cup - who cares!

Follow me on Twitter: @peRFectTennisUK
peRfect-Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #245
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peRfect-Tennis View Post
Bad bounce or no bad bounce Fed shouldn't be losing to Isner!
The days that Fed used to easily kick any opponent (bar Nadal) to Kingdom Come are behind him. And a guy who even managed to push Nadal to five sets on a likewise surface surely isn't a 'mug'.
I might get some shtick for saying this but I cannot help but feel that the Swiss team might well have underestimated their opponents for a bit. Not just Fed against Isner, but Wawa against Fish as well, as Fish hadn't been doing well lately at all (his AO performance was )...
It's cost them dearly but well... human behaviour.

Quote:
But it's Davis Cup - who cares!
I surely don't. Never had anything with DC personally, the only good thing about it is seeing best-of-five matches again.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #246
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Slow, high bouncing clay allows Isner lope around to a lot more balls, giving him more chances to get to net. But really, Roger has won Roland Garros and has been to the finals several times, and obviously knows how to play clay. Fed has been collapsing from leads in 5 set matches a lot lately, and not just on clay.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote