Losing against the eventual slam winner- An Open Era overview - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing against the eventual slam winner- An Open Era overview

The players who lost to Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros 2010 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Robin Soderling   (4)
SF:   Jurgen Melzer     (2)
QF:   Nicolas Almagro   (2)
R16:  Thomaz Bellucci   (2)
R32:  Lleyton Hewitt   (12)
R64:  Horacio Zeballos  (1)
R128: Gianni Mina       (1)

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 06-06-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Purple Rainbow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #17
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

great stat collection

poor Hewitt
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #18

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

The players who lost to Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon 2010 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Tomas Berdych      (2)
SF:   Andy Murray        (4)
QF:   Robin Soderling    (5)
R16:  Paul-Henri Mathieu (4)
R32:  Philipp Petzscher  (1)
R64:  Robin Haase        (1)
R128: Kei Nishikori      (1)
Nadal won his eight slam, so I indluded him in the legends category. Needless to say, the results don't look too good for Federer.

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 07-04-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #19

The players who lost to Rafael Nadal at US Open 2010 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Novak Djokovic      (8)
SF:   Mikhail Youzhny     (4)
QF:   Fernando Verdasco   (3)
R16:  Feliciano Lopez     (3)
R32:  Gilles Simon        (2)
R64:  Dennis Istomin      (2)
R128: Teimuraz Gabashvili (2)
- Nadal has beaten Djokovic in four of his slam wins now.
- All of Lopez losses to an eventual slam winner were in the 4th round.
- All of Verdascos losses to an eventual champ were against Nadal.
- Gabashvili joins a very select club of players who lost to the eventual slam winner in the first ound twice.

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 09-18-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for updating! Unlucky for Gabashvili, but not as bad as Henman and Bjorkman yet when it comes to bad early round draws.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #21

The players who lost to Novak Djokovic at Australian Open 2011 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Andy Murray         (5)
SF:   Roger Federer       (10)
QF:   Tomas Berdych       (3)
R16:  Nicolas Almagro     (3)
R32:  Viktor Troicki      (1)
R64:  Ivan Dodig          (1)
R128: Marcel Granollers   (1)
-Andy Murray now is the player with most losses in Grand Slam finals without winning a title.
-Federer joins the lists of most losses to the eventual AO champ (4), most losses to the eventual champ in the semifinal (4).
-Berdych and Almagro both lost to the eventual slam winner for the second time this decade. The leader with 3 times is Murray.

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 06-05-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #22

The players who lost to Nadal at Roland Garros 2011 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Roger Federer       (11)
SF:   Andy Murray         (6)
QF:   Robin Soderling     (6)
R16:  Ivan Ljubicic       (3)
R32:  Antonio Veic        (1)
R64:  Pablo Andujar       (1)
R128: John Isner          (2)
-Federer moves up in lists of most losses to the eventual Roland Garros champ (5), and has now lost to Nadal in 7 of his 10 Slam wins. Federer lost 4 RG finals, no other player has more than 2 losses.
-Andy Murray has lost to the eventual champion in 4 of 6 Grand Slams played this decade, two of those semifinals to Nadal.
-Soderling has lost to Nadal in 4 of Rafas 10 Slam wins. He has also lost to the eventual RG champ 4 times.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #23

The players who lost to Djokovic at Wimbledon 2011 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Rafael Nadal        (4)
SF:   Jo-Wilfried Tsonga  (3)
QF:   Bernard Tomic       (1)
R16:  Michael Llodra      (1)
R32:  Marcos Baghdatis    (3)
R64:  Kevin Anderson      (1)
R128: Jeremy Chardy       (1)
-Nadal has only lost to the eventual Slam winner 4 times. Three of those were Wimbledon finals.
-Tsonga has lost to the eventual Slam winner twice this decade. Both times in the semifinals.
-Tsonga lost to Dojokovic in two of Novaks three Slam wins.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #24

The players who lost to Djokovic at US Open 2011 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Rafael Nadal         (5)
SF:   Roger Federer        (12)
QF:   Janko Tipsarevic     (1)
R16:  Alexandr Dolgopov jr (1)
R32:  Nikolay Davydenko    (6)
R64:  Carlos Berlocq       (1)
R128: Connor Niland        (1)
-Nadal is finally making some of the top lists in this thread. He has lost 4 grand slam finals, two of those in the noughties (back to back to Djokovic, incidentally)
-Federer has now lost 12 times to the eventual winner. Three of those losses came against Djokovic in semifinals.
-Davydenko might be one of the best players to never reach a slam final, but he's not at Henmans level. Kolya lost to the eventual US Open winner for the third time.[/quote]
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #25

The players who lost to Djokovic at Australian Open 2012 (in brackets the number of times they lost to an eventual slam winner):

Code:

F:    Rafael Nadal         (6)
SF:   Andy Murray          (7)
QF:   David Ferrer         (3)
R16:  Lleyton Hewitt       (13)
R32:  Nicolas Mahut        (2)
R64:  Santiago Giraldo     (1)
R128: Paolo Lorenzi        (1)
-Nadal became the first player in the Open Era to lose three slam finals in a row. Of course, they were all against Djokovic. Nadals name shows up more and more in the lists of this thread.
-In a time span of less than four years, Murray has now lost 7 times against the eventual slam winner. This is almost half of the tournaments played in that period (7/15)! If he continues at this pace, his coach Lendls record might be in danger.
-Ferrer has lost to the eventual winner three times, all of those were quarterfinals.
-Hewitt has lost in the 4th round to the eventual winner 6 times, which is a record. Indication of bad luck at draws or something else? Anyway it's a pretty meaningless, but beautiful stat!
-Nicolas Mahut has lost twice to eventual winner, both were in the third round.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
country flag Federer4Everer

Federer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Federer holds the record for "winning or losing to the eventual champion," is it correct? He did it 32 times versus 31 for poor Lendl. Nadal stands at 19
Federer4Everer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer4Everer View Post
I believe Federer holds the record for "winning or losing to the eventual champion," is it correct? He did it 32 times versus 31 for poor Lendl. Nadal stands at 19
Nope, Federer has 16 slam wins and 12 losses to the eventual winner. That's a total of 28, well short of Lendl who has 31 (8+23).
Nadal has 10 wins and 6 losses.

It's an interesting stat, I might add it in one of the first posts.

How did you come up with 32 for Federer and 19 for Rafa?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #28

Federer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond repute

I just took the first post and then added numbers to it since the time that post was written... Ok so then the diehard Fedfan has another record yet to cheer for... since it seems he can no longer beat the top 2
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer4Everer View Post
I just took the first post and then added numbers to it since the time that post was written... Ok so then the diehard Fedfan has another record yet to cheer for... since it seems he can no longer beat the top 2
Aha, but why do you assume the first post is not up to date?
I always update this thread a few days after a Grand Slam. If I have time, I update within hours.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #30

I see. did not know that old posts could be updated without reposting! Very useful