Do you consider Novak Djokovic as a legend in the game? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you consider him a legend?

Yes 212 63.66%
No 121 36.34%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider Novak Djokovic as a legend in the game?

Well he is world number 1, and there have only ever been 25 I think in total. 5 grand slams. He is close to becoming a legend if he isn't already there.
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quite simple, no, not yet. He is a very remarkable tennis player and on his way to become a 'legend', but for now it's yet too soon. Of course, whatever is called a 'legend' is arbitrary, but I personally put the threshold at about 7-8 GS titles.
Should he be able to keep it going at the current rate of things, he'll be there in about six months.
Perhaps even sooner but I still believe Rafa will take RG.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #33
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Quite simple, no, not yet. He is a very remarkable tennis player and on his way to become a 'legend', but for now it's yet too soon. Of course, whatever is called a 'legend' is arbitrary, but I personally put the threshold at about 7-8 GS titles.
Should he be able to keep it going at the current rate of things, he'll be there in about six months.
Perhaps even sooner but I still believe Rafa will take RG.
At juniors?
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #34
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider Djokovic a legend in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
it depends on whether you define 'legend' as the overall persona of a player or their overall achievements. both can be very different, for instance kournikova is a legend of womens tennis if we talk about transcending the sport, but obviously not one on court.

i always feel mcenroe was hugely helped to reach 'legend' status by his persona where his results lacked.

You need both. A huge personality is important but you need the results to go with that. If you get to 6 or 7 majors and have a memorable personalty to go with those results people will idolise you forever. Kournikova is only remembered for looks, sex sells .
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #35
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

I'll put it this way, if Nole had to retire right now due to breaking his face and tailbone, would I consider him to be a tennis legend? Yes, I would!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #36
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceOfTennis View Post
At juniors?
Was this supposed to be funny? Nadal's 25, so saying "in doubles" would've been better.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 474-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #37
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At juniors?
A bit pathetic this reply, don't you think?
It may well be that I turn out to be totally wrong, and I am fully aware that "results-of-the-past-yada-yada-yada", perhaps I'm even clutching at straws, but Rafa still is the multiple champion at RG, and I just do not see him give up that title unless a truly massive effort occurs from some other player. That other player may or may not be Djokovic, as just for a reminder, there are still other players in the mix as well.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 01-29-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
country flag NadalSharapova

NadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At juniors?
most stupid comment to say since rafa has won 6 RG titles out of 7 years.

This year will be tough but there is probably only 1 person that can beat him
NadalSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #39
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Was this supposed to be funny? Nadal's 25, so saying "in doubles" would've been better.
I was referring to his chances to win that thing, kid.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider Djokovic a legend in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole Rules View Post
So McEnroe is not a legend in your opinion?
He's a great player whose prestige is increased by his famous personality
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #41

NadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was referring to his chances to win that thing, kid.
last year, his chances was virtually 100% after federer handed the title to him after beating djokovic
Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #42
country flag StoGas

StoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond reputeStoGas has a reputation beyond repute

He's a legend only because of that he is from such small country as Serbia. Tennis wasn't very popular there untill Novak came.

Tennis Tipping

Singles 238

Doubles 11

SF: Bangkok ATP
W: AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2012(w/1987518LPF)
W: WIMBLEDON 2012 (w/1987518LPF)
StoGas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #43
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalSharapova View Post
last year, his chances was virtually 100% after federer handed the title to him after beating djokovic
virtually? OMG not another 8 year old fangirl
he won fuckin RG last year
on this note, even the most one dimensional mug almost beat him
a more or less fitt Delpo can beat him on clay, and hopefully will
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #44

Quote:
virtually? OMG not another 8 year old fangirl
he won fuckin RG last year
on this note, even the most one dimensional mug almost beat him
a more or less fitt Delpo can beat him on clay, and hopefully will
well u better hope federer doesn't make the final with nadal.

i said virtually 100% BEFORE the final even started. if djokovic reached the final, nadal would have been the underdog.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly there. One more puts him on Edberg and Becker's tally and they're considered legends sooooo...
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote