There is no finish line... - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #121
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is no finish line...

Thankyou so much my GOD!!

Roger!! You really a tennis king!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #122
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

At long last, I have updated the first post in the thread so all stats are accurate to the week prior to the World Tour Finals, 2011.

The vast majority of categories have had changes made to them, so please do take a good look at the first post again for updates and let me know if you spot any errors. A number of record milestones were taken out of the list on the first post because either they have been surpassed and Federer attains the record, or he has fallen short and realistically will not be able to achieve them in his career.

Categories taken off because Roger has surpassed the record:
  • Most hardcourt titles won (he now has 47 – the previous record was 46)
  • Most matches won at the Australian Open (he now has 59 – the previous record was 56)
  • Most consecutive quarter final appearances Grand Slams (the streak still continues with 30 – the previous record was 27)
  • Most fourth round appearances Grand Slams (the streak still continues with 30 – the previous record was 28)

Categories taken off because they are no longer achievable:
  • Most consecutive Grand Slams entered, defending at least one (by failing to win the Australian Open in 2011, Federer finishes just one shy of Sampras’ record of 33)
  • Most consecutive Australian Open finals (losing to Djokovic in the semi-finals left him one short of Lendl and Wilander’s record of 3)

Also in spending some time to update this topic, I have come across some new potential records that Federer might be able to achieve. I will include them here when I get more time and have verified some of the historical stats.

I hope you will enjoy the update and reflect on some of the stats once more. It’s remarkable what he has achieved and falling short of a few records should not be seen as a disappointment (it’s not possible to achieve every record in tennis history), but the ones that are still on the list may be something to add to an already illustrious career. Over the next season(s) I look forward to counting down to them and it will be interesting to see if there are any new records that can be made. After all, there is no finish line…
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #123
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much ApproachShot Looking forward to Roger hopefully breaking some more records in London this week
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #124
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

WTF 2011:

70th title in 100 finals,

Record 6 titles at WTF;

Tied with Ivan Lendl with most wins at WTF;

Oldest champion at WTF;

Back to back to back titles and

PeRFect indoor record in 2011.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #125
country flag Matt H

Matt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond reputeMatt H has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
At long last, I have updated the first post in the thread so all stats are accurate to the week prior to the World Tour Finals, 2011.

The vast majority of categories have had changes made to them, so please do take a good look at the first post again for updates and let me know if you spot any errors. A number of record milestones were taken out of the list on the first post because either they have been surpassed and Federer attains the record, or he has fallen short and realistically will not be able to achieve them in his career.

Categories taken off because Roger has surpassed the record:
  • Most hardcourt titles won (he now has 47 – the previous record was 46)
  • Most matches won at the Australian Open (he now has 59 – the previous record was 56)
  • Most consecutive quarter final appearances Grand Slams (the streak still continues with 30 – the previous record was 27)
  • Most fourth round appearances Grand Slams (the streak still continues with 30 – the previous record was 28)

Categories taken off because they are no longer achievable:
  • Most consecutive Grand Slams entered, defending at least one (by failing to win the Australian Open in 2011, Federer finishes just one shy of Sampras’ record of 33)
  • Most consecutive Australian Open finals (losing to Djokovic in the semi-finals left him one short of Lendl and Wilander’s record of 3)

Also in spending some time to update this topic, I have come across some new potential records that Federer might be able to achieve. I will include them here when I get more time and have verified some of the historical stats.

I hope you will enjoy the update and reflect on some of the stats once more. It’s remarkable what he has achieved and falling short of a few records should not be seen as a disappointment (it’s not possible to achieve every record in tennis history), but the ones that are still on the list may be something to add to an already illustrious career. Over the next season(s) I look forward to counting down to them and it will be interesting to see if there are any new records that can be made. After all, there is no finish line…
Approach Shot, Your commitment to this thread and updating Roger's records is remarkable. "Thank you" doesn't seem sufficient...but I (and many others) do appreciate it!
Matt H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #126
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the update!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #127

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

Federer played his 31st consecutive slam quarter final today, extending his own record. It was also his 1000th match he participated in (not having retired from a single one in his career) and is the only active player to reach this milestone.

By winning the first set against Del Potro, he also won his 2000th set on tour. The victory also meant that he has reached the semi-finals stage (or better) at the Australian Open for a 9th consecutive year. A win in the semis would see him surpass Connors and become the leader in total match wins at Grand Slam tournaments.

Without wishing to jump the gun, if he could go all the way and win in the final, he would become the first person in the Open Era to win 5 titles at the Australian Open. In fact as far as this slam is concerned, there are not many other records to surpass - though of course it would always be nice to extend the existing records that he already holds.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #128
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Federer played his 31st consecutive slam quarter final today, extending his own record. It was also his 1000th match he participated in (not having retired from a single one in his career) and is the only active player to reach this milestone.

By winning the first set against Del Potro, he also won his 2000th set on tour. The victory also meant that he has reached the semi-finals stage (or better) at the Australian Open for a 9th consecutive year. A win in the semis would see him surpass Connors and become the leader in total match wins at Grand Slam tournaments.

Without wishing to jump the gun, if he could go all the way and win in the final, he would become the first person in the Open Era to win 5 titles at the Australian Open. In fact as far as this slam is concerned, there are not many other records to surpass - though of course it would always be nice to extend the existing records that he already holds.
Not only that, wouldn't he be the first player ever to have won at least 5 titles at each of three Grand Slams? AO, USO and Wimby

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1yer View Post
Olympics SIngles GOLD is the most important criteria for this.
If one doesnt have it - He aint elite - pure and simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
So, Miloslav Mecir and Marc Rosset are elite, John McEnroe and Ival Lendl are not. Got you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
So Massu > Djokovic, Federer, Lendl, McEnroe, and Sampras
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #129
country flag JanKowalski

JanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
Not only that, wouldn't he be the first player ever to have won at least 5 titles at each of three Grand Slams? AO, USO and Wimby
That's quite obvious, isn't it? No one else has won 15 slams. You can't really compare Laver's total "slam" numbers (amateur + pro + open) to Open Era players.

Besides, he already has the record at 3x4.

Last edited by JanKowalski : 01-24-2012 at 08:11 PM.
JanKowalski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #130
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
That's quite obvious, isn't it? No one else has won 15 slams. You can't really compare Laver's total "slam" numbers (amateur + pro + open) to Open Era players.

Besides, he already has the record at 3x4.
Why would that be obvious? There ARE other permutations possible with 15/16 slams, are they not? like 7 Wimbys, 5 USO's, and 3 AO's and 1 FO for instance, so even though numerically no-one else could have done it, Fed may not achieve it either

PS: Besides which, no matter how "obvious" a record may be, it is still normal practice to note it "for the record"; being obvious is not usually a rationale for omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1yer View Post
Olympics SIngles GOLD is the most important criteria for this.
If one doesnt have it - He aint elite - pure and simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
So, Miloslav Mecir and Marc Rosset are elite, John McEnroe and Ival Lendl are not. Got you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
So Massu > Djokovic, Federer, Lendl, McEnroe, and Sampras

Last edited by barbadosan : 01-25-2012 at 06:57 AM.
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #131

Quote:
He would indeed - and in fact that tally would mean that he would have accumulated more slam titles at just these 3 events than anybody has ever done at all 4 combined. As has been pointed out though, Federer already holds the record of having won 3 Grand Slam events at least 4 times - the 5x3 would be extending the record to new heights.

Semi-final #30 is coming up tomorrow and he stands just one away from Connors' all-time record of 31. He can also match Connors' record of 233 match wins in total at Grand Slam tournaments by beating Rafa.

I should also mention that Roger is on a 24 match unbeaten streak since the US Open in 2011. In his career he has so far compiled 7 streaks of 20+ match wins - again an Open Era record.

Last edited by ApproachShot : 01-25-2012 at 08:15 AM.
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #132
country flag JanKowalski

JanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why would that be obvious? There ARE other permutations possible with 15/16 slams, are they not? like 7 Wimbys, 5 USO's, and 3 AO's and 1 FO for instance, so even though numerically no-one else could have done it, Fed may not achieve it either

PS: Besides which, no matter how "obvious" a record may be, it is still normal practice to note it "for the record"; being obvious is not usually a rationale for omission.
Your post makes no sense.

You were asking if Fed winning 5th AO (and thus completing a 3x5) would be a record. It's obvious that it would, because no one but him has won 15 slams, so no one else can possibly have a 3x5.

When you are asking if some achievement is a record, you are really asking: "Has anyone else done this before?" Obviously, no one, in this case.

Last edited by JanKowalski : 01-25-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #133
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
Your post makes no sense.

You were asking if Fed winning 5th AO (and thus completing a 3x5) would be a record. It's obvious that it would, because no one but him has won 15 slams, so no one else can possibly have a 3x5.
She was only asking. Jesus.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #134
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Semi-final #30 is coming up tomorrow and he stands just one away from Connors' all-time record of 31. He can also match Connors' record of 233 match wins in total at Grand Slam tournaments by beating Rafa.
It's frightening to think what numbers Connors could have racked up if he'd played the A.O. more than twice & played the F.O. throughout the '70s.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #135
country flag JanKowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
She was only asking. Jesus.
And I was only explaining things.

That's what happens when you become defensive in a discussion.