What's the problem with french tennis?? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Why hasn't a male player won a GS for almost 30 years?

Structural problem in french tennis 3 4.84%
Lack of luck 8 12.90%
Just not good enough 18 29.03%
All mental midgets 33 53.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
country flag Evitman

Evitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the problem with french tennis??

Evitman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
States, Russia and Germany have won Slams in the last 25 years (and plenty for US and Russia) despite tennis being a far less important game than in France (second most practiced sport in France behind Soccer, i repeat) so sorry but those countries's problems are far less important than France's problem (it just happens that they now know a small period without any outstanding player).
Italy??? Tennis is far less important than in France and it can be seen both in term of number of registered players and money invested in tennis.
Switzerland has won far more slams than France both on the men's and women's side.

Belgium as well on the women's side.

I don't think tennis is a bigger sport there than in France. Tennis is not ice hockey.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
country flag blank_frackis

blank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is a difference though beetween getting to the top of the game and winning a Slam.
French tennis fans would already be over the moon if one of their players just won a Slam, let alone became number one.
There have been many "good" players in the last 30 years who have won Slams, not necessarly great ones like Fed,Nadal,Djoker,Agassi or Sampras.

By the way, i perfectly understand what you mean.
In the past 30 years for sure, you have a point. However at this particular time we're in an era where only great players seem to win slams - the only possible exception being Del Potro. I don't think we can look for structural problems as an answer to why France doesn't have one of these players. I think the structure is actually one of the best in the world and the reason they don't have one of these players is just because they're one of a kind and can emerge anywhere.

Murray is an example - UK tennis has no depth whatsoever, yet through pure luck and circumstance they have one of the best players. If Murray won a slam that would really paper over the cracks of a frankly terrible system in the UK for developing talent.
blank_frackis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #34
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
French tennis fans would already be over the moon if one of their players just won a Slam
French people are not like that : they couldn't help criticizing Noah and saying he was a mug when he still played. But his whole carreer (not only Roland-Garros win) is much better than all of the other French players. But you see France's best player of the last 70 years is a world tennis's very common player, maybe Davydenko's level, and not even sure.

Quote:
There have been many "good" players in the last 30 years who have won Slams, not necessarly great ones like Fed,Nadal,Djoker,Agassi or Sampras.
most of them in the 90s and beginning of the 2000s, but the French had their best players in the 80s and in recent years, precisely eras with several all-time greats.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #35
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Too much fun they have, on court and off.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #36
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

to answer the op, this basically sums it up...

What's a popular expression in France?

I quit.

There's your answer.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I've heard a lot about many reasons why French players never were number 1 and have not won a slam for 30 years : all these reasons are true (the main one being that people maybe enjoy too much life in France )

but frankly speaking, we've had players all having great qualities, but not all of them .

Noah had everything except the technique.
Leconte had the greatest talent of all but had a bad physique.
Tsonga not good enough technique.
Monfils the same and not enough focused, etc ...

As for Gasquet, I like him but he's never had the potential some saw in him : technical, physical and mental lacks. Very good "racket touch" talent, maybe the best one, but Leconte had much better technical bases.
Gasquet's BH shits all over Leconte's BH, both in term of technique, esthetic and efficiency.
yuri27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
country flag LuCC

LuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond reputeLuCC has a reputation beyond repute

Be happy that you have so many players. How it comes that in Poland there are 40mil ppl and only 30 y/o Kubot plays.
LuCC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #39
country flag julia_gu

julia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond repute

fan of French tennis
I like Monfils but he waste his talent,easy to injured,too much showmanship,so he always make me headache
Tsonga is good,but Top4 is better
Gasquet is mental midget

anyway,if they keep fit this year,I still believe France can win the DC
julia_gu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #40
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCC View Post
Be happy that you have so many players. How it comes that in Poland there are 40mil ppl and only 30 y/o Kubot plays.
Let's see......because they don't really care about tennis??
Following your reasoning then we could also wonder how China has not produced a Grand Slam winner yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia_gu View Post
fan of French tennis
I like Monfils but he waste his talent,easy to injured,too much showmanship,so he always make me headache
Tsonga is good,but Top4 is better
Gasquet is mental midget

anyway,if they keep fit this year,I still believe France can win the DC
Who fucking care about DC???
And it's not like we've never won it in the last 20 years......
Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #41
country flag duong

Quote:
Gasquet's BH shits all over Leconte's BH, both in term of technique, esthetic and efficiency.
OK I will not fight with you, but what I know is that many young people have not enough seen Leconte play to know about that.

I've watched both of them live, and many times.

But yes, if one shot is better in Gasquet's, it's the backhand (although Leconte's slice was better, and Gasquet's backhand is overrated imo, it's a very beautiful shot at times but not such a strong shot usually)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #42
country flag julia_gu

julia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let's see......because they don't really care about tennis??
Following your reasoning then we could also wonder how China has not produced a Grand Slam winner yet.

Who fucking care about DC???
And it's not like we've never won it in the last 20 years......
cause China start too late,but na li win the Roland Garros ,although it's women,so China has GS

oh really?u don't care DC?I saw some news that Monfils want to win DC more than GS
julia_gu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #43
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
OK I will not fight with you, but what I know is that many young people have not enough seen Leconte play to know about that.

I've watched both of them live, and many times.

But yes, if one shot is better in Gasquet's, it's the backhand (although Leconte's slice was better, and Gasquet's backhand is overrated imo, it's a very beautiful shot at times but not such a strong shot usually)
Well, Gasquet's BH is actually everything good. Rich is the BH man, as he barely has anything else in his game.

But Henry Leconte was a much better player, perhaps too crazy to get where he could be.

I was a great fan of Guy Forget right after Leconte's best years, also we shouldn't forget Pioline, Arnaud Beoetsch, Clement was a top 10 and especially Sebastien Grosjean! World n.4 at one point
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least they are better than the English players. Murray considers himself a Scotsman, not Englsh. I think the main problem with the French players is that they are not as physically well trained as the Spanish, so lose concentration when things get tough. Also, they are not tatically as smart as the Spanish and the top 4 players.
thrust is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #45
country flag yuri27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Well at least they are better than the English players. Murray considers himself a Scotsman, not Englsh. I think the main problem with the French players is that they are not as physically well trained as the Spanish, so lose concentration when things get tough. Also, they are not tatically as smart as the Spanish and the top 4 players.
Good point.