Lolling at the Wikipedia blackout - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lolling at the Wikipedia blackout

I don't understand why the music industry is so against it though. Record labels yes but not the artists themselves. They have done numerous studies showing that artists are better off (factoring in inflation as well) than they were before the whole piracy thing took off.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia needs a competitor. Too many opinionated biased articles.

Free internet is great put piracy = anarchy. The line has to be drawn somewhere.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #18
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adam View Post
Wrong example. It's not stealing as it's simply a case of someone buying and then sharing with others. One can argue that by buying something, you have the right to what you want with said purchase as you now retain ownership.

If I buy milk and share it, the Dairyman has no business complaining as it's now my milk to do what i want with/
This man speaks truth.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #19
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf07 View Post
I don't understand why the music industry is so against it though. Record labels yes but not the artists themselves. They have done numerous studies showing that artists are better off (factoring in inflation as well) than they were before the whole piracy thing took off.
yeah, if it serious then the bill looks like a last resort from a dying industry... it's pretty funny watching people keep dead things alive while the world around them is evolving for the better...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #20
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adam View Post
Wrong example. It's not stealing as it's simply a case of someone buying and then sharing with others. One can argue that by buying something, you have the right to what you want with said purchase as you now retain ownership.

If I buy milk and share it, the Dairyman has no business complaining as it's now my milk to do what i want with/
No, I think you give the wrong example. If you give away half of your milk you only have half left. No matter how many drink from it, a pint is always a pint. But if you ''share'' a DVD, you still have a whole DVD left. In other words, you didn't share it, you reproduced another person's work without authorization. It is a different action altogether.

So although your argument sounds reasonable for just sharing something with a friend, what if I bought a DVD, rented a theatre, and then started showing the DVD to everyone willing to give me a small gift?

It would seem the people shouting most for ''freedom'', really are mostly concerned with just getting free stuff.

Last edited by buddyholly : 01-19-2012 at 02:37 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
No, I think you give the wrong example. If you give away half of your milk you only have half left. No matter how many drink from it, a pint is always a pint. But if you ''share'' a DVD, you still have a whole DVD left. In other words, you didn't share it, you reproduced another person's work without authorization. It is a different action altogether.

So although your argument sounds reasonable for just sharing something with a friend, what if I bought a DVD, rented a theatre, and then started showing the DVD to everyone willing to give me a small gift?

It would seem the people shouting most for ''freedom'', really are mostly concerned with just getting free stuff.

You do know that the people who supported file sharing are the same people supporting the bill. They were for file sharing now they are against it. These big companies don't care about artist rights. They suck the life out of artists. People still pay for good music and good films. Loads of cheap cds and dvds on amazon, play and other sites. I suspect people who pirate are those that dislike the ridiculous amounts paid to some movie stars. Some might do it for fun I don't know. Punishing the majority for something a small group of people do is ridiculous. If SOPA passes then forums like this one will disappear. SOPA is a pathetic bill that is ill thought out.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #22
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
it's pretty funny watching people keep dead things alive while the world around them is evolving for the better...
thats how i feel about conservatives
Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #23
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
If SOPA passes then forums like this one will disappear. SOPA is a pathetic bill that is ill thought out.
I don't know why you think that. MTF is still available in Spain, is it not?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know why you think that. MTF is still available in Spain, is it not?
Spain's influence is not as great as America's influence. I doubt Spain are enforcing that law. They passed it but are most likely waiting for other countries to adopt the same measures before unleashing it. When the USA does something the world notices. If the the States goes ahead with SOPA the world will follow and innocent internet users will suffer.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #25
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

I still have no idea how MTF would be affected.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I still have no idea how MTF would be affected.
Realistically I don't think it would. The whole thing is unworkable.