Dolgo Pre Season/Australian Summer - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dolgo Pre Season/Australian Summer

Thought I'd start a thread for Dogs Balls that would focus on his progress during the off season and Australian summer. There doesn't look to be much activity in this forum so hopefully that picks up because I know there are fans of him on here. Here's a little article on his coach Jack Reader and what he was doing before Dolgo arrived in Australia:

Quote:
THE Adelaide tennis coach in charge of world No. 16 Alexandr Dolgopolov is doing his own mini pre-season.

Jack Reader and Dolgopolov's "sparring partner" Dima Brichek have been training at Warradale Park, where Dolgopolov will prepare for January's Australian Open.

Team Dolgopolov will also train along SA's Fleurieu Peninsula with rock-hopping, beach running and bodysurfing.

"I'm doing a pre-pre-season to get me and Dima fitter because Alex arrives next week," Reader said. "So we'll be fit as fiddles and ready to kick him.

"I always made a joke with Alex that I don't hit tennis unless I hit with a top-20 player.

"Now he's a top-20 player so I've got to get in shape."

Dolgopolov cracked the top 20 after reaching the semi-finals of the Moselle Open in France in September. But Reader said a year that started with so much promise after his 23-year-old star beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Robin Soderling to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open could have been better. Dolgopolov battled illness and his next best Grand Slam result was the fourth round of the US Open.

"It's funny because if I look back I don't think he had such a great year but his ranking - well, I'd have taken that," Reader said.

"I'd have paid for that at the beginning of the year, so we've got to be happy."

Dolgopolov was ranked outside the top 300 in the world when he teamed with Reader full-time in 2009.

And his dramatic rise is expected to continue, providing his fitness improves first.

"This year he's going to be the healthiest he's been and a lot stronger than when we started, so we can step it up a notch," Reader said. "We're going to get his fitness up a heck of a lot more. With five sets at the opens he was fit enough to play most people, but not the top few. When you're fitter and moving better, then obviously you'll hit the ball better."

However, Reader said the gap between the big three - Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal - and the rest was closing.

"It's a pretty big drop, but guys are filling it in slowly," he said. "You've got guys like (David) Ferrer who works so hard, (Thomas) Berdych, (Mardy) Fish is a surprise. Jo (-Wilfried Tsonga) will get back and start competing and a lot of guys are seeing the top guys get beaten and it gives you more confidence."

Adelaide tennis fans will see Dolgopolov in action at the World Tennis Challenge from January 10-12, where he will combine with Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter for Team Australasia.
Dolgo arrived in Australia a couple of days ago and is emulating the same training program that saw him reach the quarter finals of the AO earlier this year. They're a good pair these two, very laidback and Reader is hilarious. Hopefully this preparation benefits him again next year.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dolgo Pre Season/Australian Summer

Good idea And I love the nickname I actually think I voted no on this Forum request because I was afraid he just didn't have enough support yet. And by the look of the Forum maybe I was right. However, with the "Rest of the World" stuck clear down here I'm surprised that anyone find it!

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgo through to the semis in Brisbane and playing well. Saved three match points in the 2nd round against Andreev and then came back from a set down again tonight to get past Stepanek. Plays Simon for a spot in the final on Saturday.

Here's another good piece on his Coach Reader. Extremely likeable and down to earth bloke:

Quote:
Jack Reader doesn’t look like the coach of a top 20 ranked international tennis player who won over $1 million dollars in prize money last year.

Sitting on a grassy hill behind the practice courts smoking a cigarette and drinking a coffee, it would be easy to mistake the tall, long haired man as an ordinary Australian bloke out watching the tennis. Even when his young player, world No.15 Alexandr Dolgopolov, is about to take the court for a doubles match, Jack is happy to have a chat and another cigarette, “I quit these things last year,” he chuckles.

And if Alexandr can win his first Brisbane title, his coach plans to celebrate with a bottle of chilli vodka sent to him as a New Year gift by Alexandr’s father, and former coach, Oleksandr.

Jack took over from Oleksandr as Alexandr’s coach two years ago. Oleksandr was previously an ATP ranked professional player himself and the coach of former No.4 Andrei Medvedev. Since then, Jack has helped Alexandr climb the ATP rankings and is making real waves in the International field.

Unlike some of his top 20 contemporaries, Alexandr doesn’t have a team of nutritionists, physiotherapists, sports psychologists and personal trainers. Instead, Alexandr has Jack, and that’s the way the two of them prefer to operate.

The recent success Jack and Alexandr have had on the pro tour hasn’t changed the way Jack coaches or the role Jack views himself having as Alexandr’s coach. When asked how strong the relationship between Alexandr and himself is, Jack is quick to say he “love[s] the kid”. More than just a coach, Jack refers to himself as “Uncle Jack”.

The two live together while on tour, which Jack admits has had its ups and downs but was essential for the two of them to develop the relationship and understanding for each other that makes this combination work so well. On tour Jack prefers to rent houses for the two and their hitting partners, rather than stay in hotel rooms to give Alexandr as much normalcy as is possible while competing at the top level.

Jack acknowledges that his decision not to change the way Alexandr naturally plays and the errors that can sneak into Alexandr’s game from his impulsivity have been the source of some negative criticism over the years, however, he maintains that he would not change his choices.

There are some facets of Alexandr’s game that even Jack admits he would never coach a player to have but it is the way Alexandr plays as an individual that makes him both unique and competitive.

“I hate his volleys,” Jack says with a shrug, “It’s like he is waving a wand around instead of punching the volley forward.” The volley style has become more common with the lighter racquets in recent years, however, Jack believes that even with a heavy wooden racquet “he [Alexandr] would have found a way to still do it.”

Despite the questionable volley technique, Jack is hoping to open that bottle of chilli vodka some time on Sunday evening but first Alexandr must negotiate a quarterfinal match against sixth seed Radek Stepanek at Pat Rafter Arena later on Thursday night.
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com...he-book-of-jac

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Great story on his coach and he is off to a good start this year. BTW thanks for posting

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

He's winning, but sadly no one seems to care

Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Well the Dog just defeated Simon, but again no one seems to care

Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I DO care!
YAYYYAYYYAYYYAYYY!!!

Go get that title now, Dolgo.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
country flag TNX1.0E6TOPCA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond repute

'Yes We Care'

hope he'll be fine for Sunday's final against Andy Murray, he took a medical time-out during SF
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Yeah we have posters in here Yes I heard about the medical time out and hope he is alright! I'm a Murray fan also so these Matches are always tough on me. I have a problem I like too many tennis players

Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
country flag thehotstuff66

thehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for Alex...

Just love him and his game...hope he cracks the top 10 and beats Murray tomorrow...but at least he got this far...cant wait for the first slam of the season and cant wait to see how well Alex does there....

I am so happy for him right now.

cat
thehotstuff66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Murray might just be a bit of a too tall order for Dolgo right now (especially as he appears to have a bit of a problem with his tigh, hope it's not too serious!), but I'm hoping for an entertaining match tonight!
Will be pretty difficult to watch it, but I'm going to give it a try.

DAVAI, DOLGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
I have a problem I like too many tennis players
Perhaps you're a genuine TENNIS fan?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
country flag Regenbogen

Regenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, a lot of articles are less about Dolgopolov and more about "Jack Reader is crazy", especially in Australia

Can't remember where I found the article but I saw that his pre-season training consisted of jumping around on the tops of huge rocks again
Old 01-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Andy defeated Dolgopolov 6-1 and 6-3. What was unusual in the Match was that both players have thigh problems! And this isn't a good time for either player to have a thigh problems

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
country flag Rovegun

Rovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond reputeRovegun has a reputation beyond repute

I think they both are the most funniest couple on the tour especially Jack is so entertaining with everything he says they both really don´t look like a player and a coach they are very close friends and I think many people can envy their relationship... I remember one story when Alex and Jack bought an airport ticket for a couple but a steward asked them if they are a couple because that ticket was determined for a gay couple
Rovegun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote