Player/Coach Changes (Murray splits with Lendl) - Page 58 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #856
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player/Coach Changes (Ivan Lendl working with Andy Murray, yes it's true)

Hopefully it helps him. It is a suprising choice though, but if he feels this will help him start winning slams, good.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #857
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player/Coach Changes (Ivan Lendl working with Andy Murray, yes it's true)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
His mother has never had any official coaching role.
Perhaps, but surely you can agree that her constant presence affected his game negatively.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #858
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
Perhaps, but surely you can agree that her constant presence affected his game negatively.
Not at all - her presence has hardly been constant since she's spent the vast majority of her time on initiatives for Scottish tennis and is now the GB Fed Cup Captain. Her presence, such as it has been, has been familial support and I don't see why that should be a negative impact. People have tended to harp on about the Judy Murray angle and make far more of it than exists, in my opinion. Ultimately he is responsible for his own game and such things that Lendl can bring to the table are likely to be minor and attitudinal but all ultimately stem from the player himself being willing to listen and put his trust in someone else.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #859
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

I read this on Bleacher Report....one guy posted it as a comment .....funny as hell

Ivan Lendl: Muzza, you got to get on the court today with me and practice on your second serve.
Andy Murray (petulantly): But Ivan, I need two more for my killstreak for air support and I’m about to merc these noobs here.
Ivan Lendl: You know what? You better get your butt off the couch or I’m about to pull your ears!
Andy Murray: No you can’t do that! I hired you! Okay Lendl? Okay?! I just don’t feel like it right now. Besides it's too sunny outside now.
Ivan Lendl: That’s not how I won all those slams…
Andy Murray: You won them because you played in a weak era. That’s what my friends say.
Ivan Lendl: Did they say what I’m about to do with this tennis racket here if you don’t man up and start listening to your coach?
Andy Murray (drops 360 controller, runs into kitchen): Mom?! Mom! D’you hear what coach Len-DL said to me? (exchange) No mum! I practiced yesterday and took Kim to the mall last night like you said. I’m tired of being told! I’m tired of this @#@$! Just when I got a clean headshot and Clan Ostrich Face is ahead and Mr. Legend has to walk in there and start demanding things. (exchange) No, you go there and tell him, I’ve had it and I’m thinking about going solo again… Oh, yes, I’m serious.
Murray’s Mum (comes out of kitchen): Ivan, he’s just a kid alright? You have to be more gentle. Didn’t he get a couple of serves in the general vicinity of the box yesterday?
Ivan Lendl: You guys tell that to Rafa, the next time Andy loses a semifinal. If that’s how you want to-
Murray’s Mum: They’re friends Ivan. Have a heart, will ya?
Andy Murray: Yeah, I-van, we’re friends. Pfft! Like I care if Rafa beats me. At least I merced him in COD 3 last night. Please, not that you would know anything about friendship. With your Robocop voice and your Robocop walk. At least Rafa likes me and when he beats me, like every time, in tennis, he hugs me, afterward. You don’t know, so shut it!
Ivan Lendl: No, you’re right, I wouldn’t want to know what that’s like…

Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #860
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Too big. Guy knows Mugray inside out.
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #861
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Meuzza.

Two years ago, he had the highest winning percentage. Every one of those players have gone on to number 1 and won a slam.

Murray was born in 1987, so he's 24, coming up on his 25th birthday. 3 slam finals 5 slam SFs.

Lendl won his first slam when he was 24, and a couple months. I figured Murray would have won a slam by now.

4 slam finals, and a SF. So Murray has actually done a fair bit more than Lendl before he won his first slam.

Same ages:

1 Slam win, 5 finals 2 SFs and a QF for Lendl.
0 Slam win, 3 finals 5 SFs. So out of 8 trips to the SFs, Murray has 3 finals and 5 semifinals.

He lost to Wilander, Borg, Connors, Connors, McEnroe (semis) Noah (eventual winner QFs), McEnroe (QFs), and Kevin Curren.

Curren is the WORST loss that Lendl had, and he went onto the finals.

Murray:

Nadal, Nadal, Nadal, Nadal, Nadal, Federer, Federer, Djokovic, and Gonzo.

Gonzo is the only bad loss that Murray has had past the QFs.

So if, Nadal = Borg, and Federer = Connors and McEnroe = Djokovic and Wilander = Soderling.

If Murray's situation is like that of Lendl, what has to happen is that he has to beat Djokovic in a final and Soderling has to make a SF.

So you get it like this:

Borg left in 1982- the first chance Lendl had to supplant Borg, he lost to Noah.

The problem for Murray is that Nadal - the stronger claycourter, is still, very much, in the picture. Connors, being like Federer and Djokovic being like McEnroe, are also still in the picture.

After Lendl won in '84, he lost to Connors at Wimbledon and Johnny Mac at the USO.

He would begin his 25th year like this:

French Open: Loss to Wilander. So, he would beat Federer, only to lose to the Sodaking in the French. Sodaking defeats Djokovic on the way there. Nadal would not be in the picture.

Lendl, first bad loss in a long time. To Leconte, Becker, the other young gun emerges.

So, in 1985 you have the 25 year old Lendl, with the changing of the guard already underway with Becker and Edberg coming up, with Connors, and McEnroe fading. One slam under his belt. 6 finals, and 2 semifinals.

1985 USO - Defeats NOAH, defeats, Connors, defeats number one McEnroe to finally, overcome everything and win his second slam. Fast forward to many more slams over the years, and 5 years of dominance.

Loss to 19 year old up and comer Edberg - 5 years younger and ranked 5th closed out the year.

This was significant for two reasons. 1985 was a changing of the guard. Borg had retired and was gone. McEnroe bombed out. Connors was gone. It was just Lendl, and Wilander, but instead of either winning, the up and comer one.

So what's in store for Murray?

Good news - there is no Wilander. Soderling is not as strong as Wilander. However:

Borg did not retire. And Connors, rather than being 8 years age difference, is only 6 years. So you have a younger Connors, plus Borg. Still in the mix.

This year, we would predict some of the young guns (21 and under), to break through and win a slam.

It's too early quite yet to tell whether Murray succeeds or whether his peak will be the Finals, and he gets overtaken by the young guys and blocked by Fed + Nadal. But, his time is in the next 2-3 years. After that, his chance for a Lendl style career will be gone.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #862
Guest12315544
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't really follow things in the above post so all I will say is if Lendl can help Andy finally get a Slam I think it will be great!
Guest12315544 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #863
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Sorry I didn't really follow things in the above post so all I will say is if Lendl can help Andy finally get a Slam I think it will be great!
Maybe if he plays instead of him
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #864
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

nothing can help mugray
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #865
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

This is not good. Lendl could make Murray spoil Fed's 2012 Golden CYGS, now.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #866
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Wow!
I wish Murray the best for the new season (just behind my Nole).
+1
Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #867
country flag r3d_d3v1l_

r3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond repute

Have a feeling that Murray will win AO.
r3d_d3v1l_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #868
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3d_d3v1l_ View Post
Have a feeling that Murray will win AO.
Definitely. Put all your money on it now.
star is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #869
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure Murray can get over his mental dwarfism and finally step up in slams against top players.
I wish him the very best though because the tour needs a serious slam contender SO BADLY since Del Potro can't keep his body in shape for a single tournament.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #870
country flag Saberq

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
I'm not sure Murray can get over his mental dwarfism and finally step up in slams against top players.
I wish him the very best though because the tour needs a serious slam contender SO BADLY since Del Potro can't keep his body in shape for a single tournament.
why it has 3 already?