betting-job - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #61
country flag Gamblore

Gamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokot View Post
was just curious.something wrong with that?i hope not..but some people spend incredible time in here,so i thought that they are pros.
Degenerates
Gamblore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #62
country flag L James

L James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I respect that, but the fact is there are people who do it, not many at all, but there - so it can be done, but not by average joe.

Well I don't agree with that at all, so we are immediately on a different page. The way I used to work was in particular keying in on favs in and around the 8/11-1/3 mark that I believed to be better chances than the prices they were given, and there are plenty of those around over the course of a season. Plenty.

That goes without saying, and the way I used to work I always had a target of 65-70% over a course of a season which provided me with a modest living. The money I was earning was not spectacular, just an average life, with the main benefits being I watched sport for a living and could be as lazy as I wanted.

Here again we are off in completely different directions to begin with - why are you insistent on seeing picking favs or picking dogs as a strategy? This is no strategy.

A professional will at times find a 1/5 shot that he/she is more than happy to be back and at others a 5/2 shot. There is no such strategy as "pick favs and you'll win", or "pick dogs and you'll win".

No. Sometimes you will find that over used term "value" in a fav and sometimes in a dog. It depends match to match, there is no pre-determined action.

These are the tests of a professional gambler. Any gambler no matter how good or bad will have had runs of wins and losses. An average everyday gambler will chase his losses and find himself in more trouble sooner or later, and a professional will put faith in their capping ability and know that the tables will turn (if the capper has proven over time he can make consistent profit, he will know it will be ok in the end).

How you maintain your discipline? By having a set of rules and following them religiously, once you break out of that you expose yourself to some severe danger. I was guilty of this and got away with it a few times on the bounce, that developed complacency and recklessness and I went to the well one too many times.

I crossed the line from professional gambler to gambling professional.

A professional gambler uses the industry as a means to an end.

A gambling professional becomes more concerned with gambling frequently rather than picking and choosing their spots.

Yeah but your "strategy" is completely flawed because only a fool would say to themselves that they either only back favs or only back dogs. It's really got nothing to do with that.

In relation to the matches you bring up, yes I agree, results like that which no one or very few will pick do come about. I'd have easily told you Federer and Henin would have won those matches BUT that doesn't mean I would have backed either of them at their prices.

As a professional I would rarely, if ever, touch anything below 1/5.

Not as far as I'm aware but I'm sure everyone will give you their theory on it and claim one sport is better than the next. I mix with alot of horse racing professionals and they often find it hard to grasp the fact that a team at EVS is a good bet as opposed to the 4's and 5's they are getting on favs they are backing. However, what they must consider is that if I'm betting on EVS on a tennis match there are only two outcomes possible. They may be getting better prices, but conversly, they are also betting against a far greater amount of possible outcomes.

If there is one area of gambling that bookmakers are afraid of, it's niche markets. Not your win-lose-draw market, but specified markets such as time of goals, bookings, corners etc. As these type of markets are purely numbers based and professionals can find an edge in it before a compiler can, it just depends who is best at it. Who spots the trends first and on what basis does the pro or bookie believe the trends will continue or cease.

And niche markets for any sport as bookies generally are ok with their prices on major sports on a win/lose/draw level, but with the newer markets there is scope for them to be burned - but not by the public at large of course, the public at large will always lose to the bookie in the long run, always.
jayjay - Nice to read your insights You mentioned that in the past you lost discipline which led to problems, do you still have a punt now or have you given it up?
L James is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #63
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

As gamblers be it pro or just for fun i woulda thought we have all gone far to deep and had problems- a few years back i was losing a couple of bets and started to chase pretty hard, obviously i told nobody and was betting around 2k a week and losing it this went no for months until i really had no money- i managed to pull myself round and now its fun for me sure i do go big no some bets but ican afford to now where as ni the past icouldnt its a horrible place to be because we all start of gambling because we love these sports but when your gambling to make money alone you just cant enjoy it and i would hate to go back to that day in day out!

but there is such a great feeling when a big bet comes in- a bit like sex

Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #64
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by L James View Post
jayjay - Nice to read your insights You mentioned that in the past you lost discipline which led to problems, do you still have a punt now or have you given it up?
After a few years of making it as a professional I had built up a very healthy balance but always in the back of my mind I have this trigger in me that makes me want gamble in a reckless way. What I mean by that is winning consistently and gradually had become "boring" for me. That was the worst thing to ever happen in my life, because I crossed a line.

At that point in my "career", all I needed to do was keep doing what I was doing, it was working for me very well, but as I said I had become bored of how easy it had become and I craved some type of pressure/fear when making my picks. I saw the 2002 WC as a massive life changing opportunity for me - (a) I thought, genuinly, that Argentina were nailed on to win that WC for many, many reasons which I bored everyone I knew with and (b) that this was a chance to make a massive push and get myself in a position that would set my life up in a fantastic way.

I unloaded 80% of my previous years work on Argentina on OR, winning the group and the individual matches. As we all know, my only joy there was a nervy 1-0 win over Nigeria, after that it was all down hill and my whole world came crashing down around me. I still watch the last 20mins of that Sweden match wondering how it's possible we couldn't even create good chances to score in desperation.

It was a huge blow to me psychologically, not even financially, because I was still well up but obviously as many gamblers know - the feeling of a massive loss often causes one to "chase". So frantically chase I did for the next couple of months, and the worst of all was that I delved out of my comfort zone of football/tennis into other sports which I followed (but would not claim to be expert on) in a rush to recover what I had lost.

Anyone with sense could have told me there and then that I was not going to be able to recover the 80% I had lost (built up over 4 years) in the space of a few weeks, but by then I had lost my mind, and consequently lost the remaining 20% I had built, and a fuck load more.

It took me a long time to get over it financially and mentally. Mentally more than financially, because obviously I have major regrets about what I did for many reasons - 1. It caused me alot of pain, but even more pain to people who were close to me (I didn't have a wife or kids or anything) and were worried for what I had done and what I might do to recover the situation. 2. After I finished A-Levels, I seriously wanted to become professional and was very pleased I was making it work despite my non-believing friends who didn't think it would be possible. After I fucked up, I knew that there was no way back for me now as a professional and I'd have to get back into the real world and that I had blown my chance to have my ideal job (aside from being a footballer ).

Once I had recovered my financial situation, I gambled again, but obviously not as a way of life. Stakes were alot smaller and win or lose it was not do or die. I was able to supplement gambling with working and that's the situation I find myself in now, and it's as good as it's going to get for me and fortunately I'm now in a very good position both personally and professionally.

Last football season, I wanted to get back into routine and did the football factory thread on MTF, mainly to test my self on a discipline level to see if I could stick to the rules I had set myself and even though the season ended negatively for me, I realised that I had now recovered myself on a discipline level and I could stick to it.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=106570

I still play "big" where I see fit, but not on a day to day basis. For example, I once again pinpointed Argentina for the Olympics (3k @ 9/4) and was able to recover my 2007/2008 season and more in one fell swoop (as I told Ryan previously - this was effectively my "bet of the year" - much like my Argentina 2002 pick ). I pick and choose my spots for big plays, otherwise I still gamble regularly, but they are mostly interest/minimal plays - ranging from £100-200.

For the US Open for example, I have a £200 EW double (£400 stake) on Serena/Novak. £50 EW (£100 stake) on JJ. £25 EW (£50 stake) on Nalbandian. Not major money, but enough to keep me interested.

I'm on the way to becoming a compiler now and I also have another role in football/tennis so I'm in a good place now because my life is still surrounded by sport, which is what I always wanted.

Last edited by jayjay : 09-06-2008 at 01:23 PM.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #65
country flag Gamblore

Gamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah man, Argentina were destined to win the Gold at the Olympics and i back them as soon as the market came out. They crashed out of the WC and they blew the Copa America, even though they were better than Brazil imo. They were due here, they really were. I watched Brazil in most of there games and they look really bad. Dunga needs to go. There creativity is so poor and there striking options is just terrible.
Gamblore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #66
country flag Nitefaery

Nitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond reputeNitefaery has a reputation beyond repute

I have known several gamblers who used it as their sole income. None of them are very happy people.. none of them have any form of financial stability. The most well-off individual was known to all as a very wealthy man but a few years ago things took a turn for the worse and he ended up working at a home improvement store and selling everything he owns. Another sits at his computer 24/7 and won't answer the phone when he's taken a loss. I guess my point is sure your could make betting your job but I don't see how it would ever work in your favor. Especially when your betting on whether or not you get paid this week, or can pay your bills on time. It's just not something you should rely on for future income. Not to mention the stress over games will eat away at your health over time. Anything can happen, that's why it's gambling
Nitefaery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #67
country flag L James

L James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
After a few years of making it as a professional I had built up a very healthy balance but always in the back of my mind I have this trigger in me that makes me want gamble in a reckless way. What I mean by that is winning consistently and gradually had become "boring" for me. That was the worst thing to ever happen in my life, because I crossed a line.

At that point in my "career", all I needed to do was keep doing what I was doing, it was working for me very well, but as I said I had become bored of how easy it had become and I craved some type of pressure/fear when making my picks. I saw the 2002 WC as a massive life changing opportunity for me - (a) I thought, genuinly, that Argentina were nailed on to win that WC for many, many reasons which I bored everyone I knew with and (b) that this was a chance to make a massive push and get myself in a position that would set my life up in a fantastic way.

I unloaded 80% of my previous years work on Argentina on OR, winning the group and the individual matches. As we all know, my only joy there was a nervy 1-0 win over Nigeria, after that it was all down hill and my whole world came crashing down around me. I still watch the last 20mins of that Sweden match wondering how it's possible we couldn't even create good chances to score in desperation.

It was a huge blow to me psychologically, not even financially, because I was still well up but obviously as many gamblers know - the feeling of a massive loss often causes one to "chase". So frantically chase I did for the next couple of months, and the worst of all was that I delved out of my comfort zone of football/tennis into other sports which I followed (but would not claim to be expert on) in a rush to recover what I had lost.

Anyone with sense could have told me there and then that I was not going to be able to recover the 80% I had lost (built up over 4 years) in the space of a few weeks, but by then I had lost my mind, and consequently lost the remaining 20% I had built, and a fuck load more.

It took me a long time to get over it financially and mentally. Mentally more than financially, because obviously I have major regrets about what I did for many reasons - 1. It caused me alot of pain, but even more pain to people who were close to me (I didn't have a wife or kids or anything) and were worried for what I had done and what I might do to recover the situation. 2. After I finished A-Levels, I seriously wanted to become professional and was very pleased I was making it work despite my non-believing friends who didn't think it would be possible. After I fucked up, I knew that there was no way back for me now as a professional and I'd have to get back into the real world and that I had blown my chance to have my ideal job (aside from being a footballer ).

Once I had recovered my financial situation, I gambled again, but obviously not as a way of life. Stakes were alot smaller and win or lose it was not do or die. I was able to supplement gambling with working and that's the situation I find myself in now, and it's as good as it's going to get for me and fortunately I'm now in a very good position both personally and professionally.

Last football season, I wanted to get back into routine and did the football factory thread on MTF, mainly to test my self on a discipline level to see if I could stick to the rules I had set myself and even though the season ended negatively for me, I realised that I had now recovered myself on a discipline level and I could stick to it.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=106570

I still play "big" where I see fit, but not on a day to day basis. For example, I once again pinpointed Argentina for the Olympics (3k @ 9/4) and was able to recover my 2007/2008 season and more in one fell swoop (as I told Ryan previously - this was effectively my "bet of the year" - much like my Argentina 2002 pick ). I pick and choose my spots for big plays, otherwise I still gamble regularly, but they are mostly interest/minimal plays - ranging from £100-200.

For the US Open for example, I have a £200 EW double (£400 stake) on Serena/Novak. £50 EW (£100 stake) on JJ. £25 EW (£50 stake) on Nalbandian. Not major money, but enough to keep me interested.

I'm on the way to becoming a compiler now and I also have another role in football/tennis so I'm in a good place now because my life is still surrounded by sport, which is what I always wanted.
Thanks again for the insight. Discipline is my downfall and whilst I'm able to keep my head for 90-95% of the time, I've found myself undoing long periods of good work in a short space of time repeatedly. I can identify with the situation you outlined in the first couple of paragraphs of the quoted message above.

Whilst no real damage has been done, I do find myself "going around in circles" i.e building up profit steadily then losing it quickly and whilst overall, sports betting is enjoyable I do wonder about the time I've wasted.

Nevertheless, I will carry on, I don't intend or aim for it to become my primary profession but given my love of sports I do find it intriguing/challenging to try and create an income stream from it. The battle continues though to not let the 'gambling' side override the 'investing' side.
L James is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #68
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

People who spend nearly all day posting on message boards gamble small stakes in my opinion.

They are good cappers but just do it for some extra money or for some fun.

The serious gamblers are in casinos.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #69
country flag KaiserT
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

KaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond repute

Stumbled on this....randomly.... a good read in parts.
KaiserT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #70
country flag LetsFixIt

LetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond reputeLetsFixIt has a reputation beyond repute

im pro and im happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs
Dear LetsFixIt,

You have received an infraction at MensTennisForums.com.

Reason: Wishing Death

All the best,
MensTennisForums.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iván
UK too busy bombing other countries to install sb at bath then
LetsFixIt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #71
country flag Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny_Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefaery View Post
I have known several gamblers who used it as their sole income. None of them are very happy people.. none of them have any form of financial stability. The most well-off individual was known to all as a very wealthy man but a few years ago things took a turn for the worse and he ended up working at a home improvement store and selling everything he owns. Another sits at his computer 24/7 and won't answer the phone when he's taken a loss. I guess my point is sure your could make betting your job but I don't see how it would ever work in your favor. Especially when your betting on whether or not you get paid this week, or can pay your bills on time. It's just not something you should rely on for future income. Not to mention the stress over games will eat away at your health over time. Anything can happen, that's why it's gambling
also knew couple of those

Paul-Henri Mathieu
Johnny_Bravo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #72
country flag Crowdmaker

Crowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond reputeCrowdmaker has a reputation beyond repute

Don`t mean to disrespect anything written here, but I doubt pro gamblers have time to write in here.
To which level each of us are considered serious gamblers is best shown by our current bank accounts, but if there`s any truth in
a myths when it comes to betting is only that we are betting each other`s money!
At the end of the day, bookies are smiling and personally I reckon they are doing mostly excellent job when setting odds.
Probably the most common term in every gambler vocabulary is VALUE. Well, for me value means a WINNING bet, preferably with odds that are making
Profit at least 50% on the staked money. On the long run, these are Single bets, even though I get tempted frequently by combos.
Gambling in general should never be that serious that is considered as daytime job. No matter how successful gambler is, by having this as only income,
pressure is just pilling up and it`s a matter of day when it becomes unbearable.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #73
country flag KaiserT
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

KaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowdmaker View Post
Don`t mean to disrespect anything written here, but I doubt pro gamblers have time to write in here.
To which level each of us are considered serious gamblers is best shown by our current bank accounts, but if there`s any truth in
a myths when it comes to betting is only that we are betting each other`s money!
At the end of the day, bookies are smiling and personally I reckon they are doing mostly excellent job when setting odds.
Probably the most common term in every gambler vocabulary is VALUE. Well, for me value means a WINNING bet, preferably with odds that are making
Profit at least 50% on the staked money. On the long run, these are Single bets, even though I get tempted frequently by combos.
Gambling in general should never be that serious that is considered as daytime job. No matter how successful gambler is, by having this as only income,
pressure is just pilling up and it`s a matter of day when it becomes unbearable.
Just my 2 cents.
Betting/trading can be a job.

Someone like Carretero makes a good living betting on tennis with the bookies, and his knowledge of challenger/itf level tennis is clearly better than 99% of bookmaker odds-setters, although he has to work hard to keep opening new accounts.

I made a living betting with bookies, I had a clear edge, but found it difficult to keep opening new accounts and switched my attention to trading on betfair. I currently make a good living betting 80% inplay.

I might not be able to do this for the next 10+ years, not because I would lose my edge, or my discipline, but because betfair are becoming more like a bookmaker and putting big charges on winning customers. Or maybe I'll get bored and wan't to do something else.
KaiserT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote