Djokovic and defending titles... - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #31
country flag theseth1119

theseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic and defending titles...

Yes, defending titles can be tough and the most Rogie ever defended in one year is 7 (which he did in 2005 after wining them in 2004: Dubai, Indian Wells, Hamburg, Halle, Wimbledon, U.S. Open, and Bangkok).

Djokovic' has only ever defended: Dubai (2009-2011) and Beijing (2009-2010).

I honestly can't see Djokovic defending 7, 8, 9, or all 10 of those finals, I'd have to say 5 or 6 at best.
theseth1119 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #32
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I think he will have an even better year in 2012 and not only he will defend all his titles, but he will also win RG beating Federer in semis and Nadal in the final. Watch it, I'm hardly ever wrong with these things. The absolute domination of Novak 2.0 has just started. I kind of pity the other players and their fans.
This is more than a little ridiculous - so Novak at 25 will win over 10 titles including a calendar year slam (that's the implication if he defends all 3 slams and also wins RG!)?! Novak played an incredible level from Aus Open to about Rome/RG. After that despite winning 2 more slams his level was not unreachable at all and players like Fed, Murray, Del Potro, Tsonga and yes, even Rafa, will not be just handing over those trophies next year.

The domination of Novak 2.0 ended at RG - he didn't "dominate" Wimbledon (losing sets to Baghdatis & Tomic), he didn't "dominate" the US Open (in fact funnily enough Nadal's 2010 win was more dominant than Novak's 2011 despite Novak clearly being a better HC player! Tipsy & Dolgopolov were more of a handful than any of Nadal's opponents till the final in 2010....) and the less said about his season post-US Open the better. Dominating is winning a slam like Fed did Aus Open 07 or Rafa the French in 08 - that is very tough to do and even Novak with his 2.0 level will not steamroll every opponent in sight forever. Fed in 04-07 looked quite untouchable by most players - Novak apart from that early hardcourt stretch last year did not reach that level IMO - consistency, which was his best asset, is not something you can rely on to be there for years on end. Fed's forehand was a weapon that was simply unplayable at his best - Novak's backhand as good as it is cannot be compared in the same way.

On the topic itself - I think he has a great chance to still stay year end no.1 and defend 1-2 slams, and 2-3 masters (either IW or Miami - unlikely to be both; one of the clay masters and possibly Rogers Cup). He'll obviously defend Belgrade and probably Dubai too.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #33
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
This is more than a little ridiculous - so Novak at 25 will win over 10 titles including a calendar year slam (that's the implication if he defends all 3 slams and also wins RG!)?! Novak played an incredible level from Aus Open to about Rome/RG. After that despite winning 2 more slams his level was not unreachable at all and players like Fed, Murray, Del Potro, Tsonga and yes, even Rafa, will not be just handing over those trophies next year.

The domination of Novak 2.0 ended at RG - he didn't "dominate" Wimbledon (losing sets to Baghdatis & Tomic), he didn't "dominate" the US Open (in fact funnily enough Nadal's 2010 win was more dominant than Novak's 2011 despite Novak clearly being a better HC player! Tipsy & Dolgopolov were more of a handful than any of Nadal's opponents till the final in 2010....) and the less said about his season post-US Open the better. Dominating is winning a slam like Fed did Aus Open 07 or Rafa the French in 08 - that is very tough to do and even Novak with his 2.0 level will not steamroll every opponent in sight forever. Fed in 04-07 looked quite untouchable by most players - Novak apart from that early hardcourt stretch last year did not reach that level IMO - consistency, which was his best asset, is not something you can rely on to be there for years on end. Fed's forehand was a weapon that was simply unplayable at his best - Novak's backhand as good as it is cannot be compared in the same way.

On the topic itself - I think he has a great chance to still stay year end no.1 and defend 1-2 slams, and 2-3 masters (either IW or Miami - unlikely to be both; one of the clay masters and possibly Rogers Cup). He'll obviously defend Belgrade and probably Dubai too.
Who are you trying to convince with all that demagogy?
Novak's dominance at Wimbledon and US Open was absolute and the way he destroyed Nadal, his only genuine rival this year, makes me thing that he has a great chance of going for the Career Slam in 2012. Ambition and confidence is everything and he's high on that. Not to mention that no one did even come close to his level of play this year nor his consistency. He will continue to dominate.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #34
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

He definately didnt dominate those 2 events but he played well enough to win which is what is needed at the end of the day .And Nole fan there is a reason CYGS hasnt been done in 42 years .You really only get 1 chance at it and still need a huge element of luck to favour you .Chances are Nole is going down than up if you compare his season to that of 2011
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #35
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

on topic though I believe he will win US Open and RG as well as defend Dubai Belgrade and Madrid .Might also get one of IW/Miami
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #36
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Look Novak should defend AO,Dubai,IW or Miami,Madrid or Rome,Belgrade of course,Montreal maybe,US Open
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Novak actually played against real ATP players in his US Open
Old 12-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #38
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Who are you trying to convince with all that demagogy?
Novak's dominance at Wimbledon and US Open was absolute and the way he destroyed Nadal, his only genuine rival this year, makes me thing that he has a great chance of going for the Career Slam in 2012. Ambition and confidence is everything and he's high on that. Not to mention that no one did even come close to his level of play this year nor his consistency. He will continue to dominate.
I know civilised debate isn't really done at MTF but having a different opinion isn't 'demagogy'! How can he have dominated Wimbledon when he lost a set to Tomic and could have been taken to a fifth?! That's a player who was top 70 then right?! He was convincing in both those tournaments yes and got the job done but that is not dominating. Dominating is what Fed did to Roddick in Aus 07 (and pretty much all other opponents that tournament) or Rafa to Fed in RG 08 i.e. utterly outplaying top level opponents and not even dropping a set. Novak outplayed Nadal in those finals yes and looked in control in both but to dominate a tournament is more than dominating the final and specifically one player. He was much more dominant in Australia than in Wimbledon or New York.

Of course Novak was the best this year and the most consistent - that's why he's no.1. The operative phrase is "this year" - Nadal was the most consistent in 2008; Fed was in 05/06/07 - it all ends sometime. I think Novak is more likely to be like Nadal due to their style of play and frankly because players like Murray, Del Potro etc. have the skill to even beat top-level Novak on their day - he is no longer as far ahead of the field as he was at the start of 2011. Is the calendar year slam impossible? No. Unlikely? Yes. You need a lot of luck as well as a great level of play. Next year the Olympics adds an extra dimension too - for one player to dominate throughout will be tough and as I said I think Del Po, Murray etc. are hungry and will certainly take scalps at Masters events if not slams.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #39
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Novak actually played against real ATP players in his US Open
On paper I don't anyone would have said Tipsarevic or Dolgopolov are tougher draws than Verdasco of 2010 (rather than horrific 2011 form!) - Verdasco is a Masters finalist and a GS semi-finalist. More impressive than either of the other two.

That said I think it's clear Nadal's draw opened up for him very well in 2010 with Murray losing and I'm not going to suggest that for him Lopez, Verdasco and Youzhny weren't preferable to alternatives... Still, he looked dominant throughout - he wasn't broken in the first 4 matches, lost one set - whatever the opponent that was more impressive than Novak's 2011 US Open run IMO. Even looking at the final - as great as it was both players go broken so many times it was kind of laughable. That serving performance alone invalidates it from counting as a "dominant" slam win.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #40
country flag Saberq

Quote:
On paper I don't anyone would have said Tipsarevic or Dolgopolov are tougher draws than Verdasco of 2010 (rather than horrific 2011 form!) - Verdasco is a Masters finalist and a GS semi-finalist. More impressive than either of the other two.

That said I think it's clear Nadal's draw opened up for him very well in 2010 with Murray losing and I'm not going to suggest that for him Lopez, Verdasco and Youzhny weren't preferable to alternatives... Still, he looked dominant throughout - he wasn't broken in the first 4 matches, lost one set - whatever the opponent that was more impressive than Novak's 2011 US Open run IMO. Even looking at the final - as great as it was both players go broken so many times it was kind of laughable. That serving performance alone invalidates it from counting as a "dominant" slam win.
that draw was a joke man and you know it .....Novak played Fed and Nadal in SF F ,Nadal played Youzhny and tired Novak
Old 12-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
that draw was a joke man and you know it .....Novak played Fed and Nadal in SF F ,Nadal played Youzhny and tired Novak
Novak wasn't tired (or at least he shouldn't have been), he had a day off

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
country flag Saberq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Novak wasn't tired (or at least he shouldn't have been), he had a day off
dont argue with me man you are ruining my point
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #43
country flag rutinos harcos

rutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting for top notch and completely unbiased posts from well-nown tennis experts and non-haters:little joanna aka senseless poster,rocketfail,abraxas21 aka el tonto,samanopuke and other fake goat's worshipers.
rutinos harcos is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #44
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

@ Ash86
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
country flag theseth1119

theseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to my post, Rogie defended 7 events in 2005 (after winning them in 2004 of course). I don't think Djokovic will defend 7, 8, 9, or all 10 in 2012, but 5 or 6 could be done possibly.
theseth1119 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote