How to be a tennis fan? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
country flag wtdanceisthrough

wtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond reputewtdanceisthrough has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to be a tennis fan?

Sorry for the rather vague title. Okay so I've always liked tennis but I'm guilty at the moment of being the kind of tennis fan that everyone ridicules - the kind who's obsessively interested during Wimbledon and a bit out-of-touch the rest of the year. In all honesty, I often take time off work during Wimbledon to stay in touch and even if I don't then the country (I live in England) is so overtaken with Wimbledon euphoria then you can't help but get a glimpse of what is going on (they have big screens near where I work). But the rest of the year, I work full-time from Monday to Friday (as most people do!) and struggle to stay in touch. Now most sports fans over here seem to be football fans. And they're fine because most football matches are on Saturdays and Sundays and they can happily watch them. But most important tennis is tournament tennis and takes place Monday to Friday, so what to do?

Of course, I can read the tennis news in the paper or on websites and keep abreast of things that way. But seriously, is that how tennis fans really keep in the loop? Can they really go most of the time without watching any actual matches? Even good highlights programmes are hard to come by, except perhaps in grand slam tournaments (I don't have a Eurosport subscription and was thinking I should get one, but not sure if it would help much.)

So this is really kind of an open question, but how do you live life as a tennis fan?
wtdanceisthrough is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to be a tennis fan?

It's very easy, a thing called the internet. Sometimes the ATP even have a website that provides draws for a tournament played outside the Slams, look hard enough then there are challengers.

In this day and age there are livestreams, a lot better now than they used to be, even if they don't work there are scoreboards that can be followed on the computer or smart phone.

It's simple, the info and technology is out there, if the person wants to use it.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 12-23-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Knotty Fort

Knotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond repute

The most important thing is to know all the live streaming websites. I have nothing close to a TV subscription, but I watch tennis the whole year.

www.lshunter.tv/tennis
www.fromsport.com/c-4.html

Those two should get you started.
Knotty Fort is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It's open now.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

As it was for me.. I started following most of the sports since my childhood and till now i like all the sports which i follow. i dont need to make an effort to follow it.I just follow it.

And whatever sport or trend i caught during my adulthood i couldnt keep it up.

Keep watching what you like and if it is for you.. you would follow it naturally. And if you dont feel like staying in touch with it..Dont do it for the heck of it..
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

There is no handbook written on how to be a tennis fan.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

TennisTV would be a good subscription to get.
Has most matches from most tournaments. It has a 'DVR' mode so you can rewind etc. (So you could open the streaming page as a match starts, save the link, and then reopen it when you have the free time to watch. I did this quite a lot while I still had TTV.)
They also save 'matches on demand' including the finals of all 500 tournaments upwards (I think).

Btw, many matches are at night, and semis and finals are almost always at the weekend, so it's not as bad as you think!
Slice Winner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
country flag siffleanimaux

siffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond repute

For me, I started getting REALLY into tennis when I began talking to someone else who was also really into tennis, and could answer any question I had in detail and my fascination continued to build as a result. After that, we began watching live streams together so much more (from livescorehunter or sportlemon and other similar sites) and just began discussing everything that was occuring during the match. Eventually, your subconscious will just retain all the information.

I'd say six months into becoming a true tennis fanatic, I knew everything about tennis through this method - from the technical aspects of the game to random statistics.
siffleanimaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffleanimaux View Post
I'd say six months into becoming a true tennis fanatic, I knew everything about tennis through this method - from the technical aspects of the game to random statistics.
You never stop learning in any field.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
country flag siffleanimaux

siffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Of course not. It was just a convenient exaggeration to show him how much simple verbal communication can help you learn SO much in such a short period of time.
siffleanimaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post

Its not a subject or a course which you have to learn. Its mostly Either you like it or you dont.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffleanimaux View Post
Of course not. It was just a convenient exaggeration to show him how much simple verbal communication can help you learn SO much in such a short period of time.
You know everything, so I can ask you anything about tennis and expect thoughtful, well researched answers to the most obscure questions and facts.

At the same time it definitely helps to ask questions if you don't know something, which you don't need . The instant expert is just as bad as the clueless bandwagoner.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
country flag gators0708

gators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond reputegators0708 has a reputation beyond repute

I try to watch as much as I can. Really hard to here in the US with the time differences but I still manage!
gators0708 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
country flag Smiling Buddha

Smiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond repute

You should start by finding a tennis player you can relate to.

If you are lucky go with Djokovic, if you have perennial wedgies go with Nadal, if you are the undisputed GOAT go with Federer, if you are British go with Ward and if you think you are important, go with Roddick.

Follow your chosen player's activities and get excited when he plays, happy when he wins, and disappointed when he loses.

At this point you would be classified as a fan.
Smiling Buddha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty simple being a tennis fan and a sports fan in general with how much access we have to it. If not on tv, the internet, mobile/cell phones etc.. The major problem nowadays is wondering which match to watch when loads of tournaments are going on at once. But I've always felt comfortable watching tennis as a neutral fan, though supporting one is great, at times you just want the player you're a fan of to go through so much, you forget about the entertainment, which doesn't happen with neutral matches.

Just be glad we're tennis fans in this day and age, can't imagine how tough it was to watch most tournaments in the 70s and 80s and before. Even some of the big tournaments.. I assume challengers were simply inaccessibly to tennis fans back then, bar going to the matches.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote