Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the Austra

Yes – bigotry is simply unacceptable 37 41.57%
No – Court has the freedom of expression 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #196
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolinari2005 View Post
people who just thought that the court shouldn't renamed (even expressing their thoughts that it is wrong being homophobic, but pointing out other reasons they disagree with renaming it): they were instantly accused of being homophobics, narrow minded and reactionary.
I haven't seen that at all in this thread.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #197
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
"Gay" rights are human rights
but that has nothing to do with sports right
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #198
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingiskingfineon View Post
but that has nothing to do with sports right
This is such a false ruse (also voiced by Topspin Doctor), and it speaks to how thoroughly today's sports fans have been conditioned to think of top athletes as nothing more than (subhuman?) products. It also ignores all the comparatively uncontroversial human rights work of top tennis professionals from Federer on down.

Tell Jesse Owens, Hank Aaron, Arthur Ashe or Muhammad Ali that sport has nothing to do with human rights. Tell Martina Navratilova.

In fact, if that were the case, people with that viewpoint should be going after Margaret Court, not the gay fans or athletes (or those supportive of gay rights) here or elsewhere who might respond to her.

It was Margaret Court who, knowing she has an arena (in fact an arena named after her) as a public sports figure, used her profile and privilege to speak out against gay rights at a time when they are at the political foreground in Australia.

So gay fans or athletes or those supportive of gay rights are supposed to ignore her and carry on as if nothing happened because of some mythic division between sports and politics? It's ridiculous.

Sports have all kinds of political dimensions, from the national divisions implicit in the Olympic Games, World Cup, and other events on down to personal stories of struggle.

Over on TennisForum this issue/thread has -- at least at first, before the sniping and entrenched argument -- manifested differently, with the OP trying to instigate some kind of visible action. But in the public eye, aside from comments by Billie Jean King, Rennae Stubbs, and Martina (who Margaret Court attacked by name years ago when Martina was still a top athlete), the most I've seen is Brad Gilbert inferring he wants to wear a rainbow kerchief during broadcast. Not much.

For a gay or lesbian athlete (or one strongly supportive of gay rights), being asked to play at Margaret Court Arena could be a dilemma. But I'm expecting the majority in this day and age to carry on corporate and closeted or simply exercising their right to steer clear of the issue. I'd actually be surprised if a top player, especially on the men's side, made a statement, whether verbal or visual.

While at this point I'm not yet sold on changing the venue's name, I'm hoping that something interesting happens during the Australian Open in reaction to Margaret Court's message, at the venue named after her. If nothing does, it'll be a shame.
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #199
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Possibly.

But I suspect I simply haven't made myself clear.

If we were talking about renaming the Margaret Court Dance-floor at G.A.Y. Night Club I should be the first to agree that renaming was a good idea. If we were talking about renaming the Margaret Court Chamber of the Australian Parliament I'd have no strong objection, beyond wondering why on earth it was named after a tennis player in the first place. But as we're talking about renaming one of the biggest tennis arenas in Australia, which is named after one of Australia's greatest tennis players, I find the argument for renaming it disturbing, for the following reasons.

1. The renamers are taking it for granted that Court is wrong.

Do I have to explain that this isn't really the way political debate works in a free society?

2. The renamers are taking it for granted that being wrong on this particular issue is morally wicked.

Guys, this is what the religious people are supposed to do. You know, the people you are against? Just because somebody has political views you find repugnant, does not make them morally inferior to you. Debate starts from neutral, not from, "I'm right & anybody who disagrees is evil."

3. The renamers are taking it for granted that institutions that have nothing to do with politics have a duty to promote, or at any rate express solidarity with, (the renamers' particular) political views.

This is totalitarian in tendency. Contrary to what some people seem to believe, politics is a small & mostly unimportant part of life, having far less effect than politicians imagine & occupying only a tiny part of most people's consciousnesses - and this is how it should be. One of the most noticeable features of a tyranny is how much politics impinges on people's lives & thoughts. You can't organise a sodding whist drive without checking with the local party secretary that the right "messages" are being conveyed. I don't want autonomous institutions put under pressure to make political statements or gestures, nor do I want them making such gestures. It is inimical to their instrinsic purposes (if those purposes are not political) & there is no need. If you want to know what to think about Margaret Court's comments, reading this thread would be far more help than going to a renamed arena. The arena's role is in tennis and Court's achievements are in tennis.

4. The renamers have completely missed the best reason for renaming it the "Ken Rosewall arena".

Court played on the WTA.
Excellent post.