Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?

Yes 28 46.67%
No 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #31
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?

This shouldn't even be a question. Ffs he won 18 tournaments that year, on all surfaces. If there'd been slams on hard or indoors he'd have won them as well. He lost 16 matches - so what? He won 120 and he won 18 tournaments including 4 slams.

The results of the poll are an embarrassment to MTF.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #32
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

this thread is definitely furthering my speculation, people here didn't begin watching tennis until Fed entered his prime.. Ridiculous
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #33
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Laver played back when only the biggest of nations even played tennis. I would not really have called tennis a WORLD sport back in 69. But that is my opinion. I just feel that the only people who really played were either English or Australian or American. Again its my opinion... just writing my 2 cents. I did not exist in 69 so I can't really say how the quality of play was. I started watching tennis when Agassi and Sampras started playing.
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #34
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
this thread is definitely furthering my speculation, people here didn't begin watching tennis until Fed entered his prime.. Ridiculous
I answered yes on the poll but this is ridiculous, another excuse of yours to blame Fedtards again for everything. Many people who are watching tennis now probably weren't even born in 1969... heck my mother was 9 years old in 1969 so it is not a question if people were able to watch Laver in his prime because lots of people probably weren't able to.

It's a question of knowing your tennis history, reading up on things, watching old clips on Youtube. Even if people began watching tennis when Sampras entered his prime or during the Borg-McEnroe era, they still wouldn't have witnessed Laver in action. 1969 is too far back to expect everyone here to have watched this.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #35
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
69' wasn't even in the Open Era.
The Open Era began in 1968, when the Grand Slam tournaments agreed to allow professional players to compete with amateurs. Since the beginning of this era, professionals have been able to compete alongside amateurs in all tournaments. This has allowed tennis players the opportunity to make a good living playing tennis. The first event to go "open" was held on April 28, 1968 at The West Hants Club in Bournemouth, England,[53] while the first Grand Slam tournament to do so was the 1968 French Open (Roland Garros)[54] starting May 27.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tennis#Open_Era

Google is your friend.

I'm not surprised by the poll results or posts like EddieNero's. MTF is full of idiots half the time anyway.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #36
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
No, because Laver played in an era of mugs with less surface variation. Nadal's 2010>Laver's '69
Furthermore, to argue that smaller draws leads to top players meeting more often and hence there being more competition is to completely miss the point. Take today's tour, remove players ranked 1 to 992, and make all tournaments 8-man draws. You'll then have the 8 'top' players meeting all the time. But the actual competition that the eventual winner will have faced would still be nowhere near the toughest that today's era has to offer.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #37
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute

Laver was 31 years old at the time and the amusing thing is, he achieved the calendar slam when he wasn't even at his peak! So in a sense, the year is quite significantly overvalued.

It will always stand on its own, but imo the tour was just too different to really rank it against more modern years.
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #38
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

The best season ever. Yes he won all 4 GS.

The most impressive season ever. No, tennis was different then.
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #39
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Can't argue with the CYGS. Even if 3 of them were on grass. 18 tournament wins, 120 matches won. Sure, 16 matches lost was it? But there is no such thing as perfect. This is the closest we have come to it as of now.

Federer might have been 1 match away in 2006 (& 2007 too probably) to make his season the best ever, but that's how it goes sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1yer View Post
A healthy Nadal is unbeaten to this day... let that fact never leave you for a second!
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #40
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.

CYGS = Holy Grail of tennis.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #41
country flag noddzy

noddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond repute

Rod Laver = Don Bradman of tennis. Hmm, both are Aussies Forgive my cricket reference all ye non-cricket peasantry
noddzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #42
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Absolutely, I don't even see why this would be a point of discussion.
The eventual, total achievements/results of any player in a given season is the only objective thing available to designate this, and a complete CYGS season goes above all other achievements. At least imho.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #43
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

tennis in those days is like wta tennis compared to nowadays.
ossie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #44
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and none of today's players can even make a single GS and Laver made 2 GS so he's the best of all
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe32 View Post
I don't know, I wasn't born/know nothing really about it, but it seems like it. 4 slams in one year against those opponents seems pretty impressive.

Also, I always felt like Fed was at his peak in 05-06. Still can't believe Safin snagged that AO in '05.
LAVER, for sure. Not only did he win the Grand Slam, he did it against Much Tougher Competition than Roger had.

Djokovic- McEnroe said Nole's year was better than his in 84, so I take his word for it.

McEnroe 84- Also much tougher competiton than Fed 06, destroying Connors at Wimbledon. Connors had beat him in 5 the year before.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote