What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Most impressive display?

Safin 2 25.00%
Krajicek 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek?

Richard Krajicek defeated Sampras in straight sets at Wimbledon 1996 (Quarter Final) on his way to the crown.

Marat Safin defeated Federer in five sets at Australian Open 2005 (Semi Final) on his way to the crown.

Both Sampras and Federer were arguably at the peak of their powers. Krajicek was not really considered as one of the favourites as he hadn't gone past the 4th round previously, while Safin was one of the favourites. Krajicek won without too much trouble while Safin showed great resolve, saving a match point. Krajicek went on to defeat Malavai Washington in the Final, Safin defeated Hewitt.

Which victory and subsequent tournament victory was the most impressive?

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
country flag Las7

Las7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond reputeLas7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek?

Well the 2005 Semi I believe Federer had some sort of injury.
Las7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek?

Krajicek was just a wizard after that first rain delay. Sampras didn't play badly at all, and it was his only loss at Wimbledon during an 8 year stretch. Straight sets, too.

The Safin match was epic and legendary. Not only was it a huge upset over a Federer that was deemed invincible at the time, but the drama and quality of the ball striking were of the utmost.

I choose the Safin upset. Also cause he had to beat Hewitt in the finals in front of a home crowd while Krajicek only had to beat Malivai Washington in the final. Krajicek did get to see a streaker that day though.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images...-wimbledon.jpg
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las7 View Post
Well the 2005 Semi I believe Federer had some sort of injury.
Pete's coach died in 96
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

What this GOAT slaying crap? ROFL... One damn match is a slaying? Slaying is what Nadal has done to Rog. Not what Safin did to Rog or Krajciek did to Pete in one slam match.

Anyone can catch fire for a day or have a good two weeks. Hell, even your watch is right twice a day
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Krajicek winning 3-0 at wimbledon against a prime sampras. Safin was lucky to come up against an off form federer. In my opinion safin was lucky to win the slams he did, a real vulture.
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

As good as Safin vs Federer was it's one of the most overrated matches I've ever seen people talk about on this forum, and that's coming from a guy who dislikes Federer.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras is without a doubt the most dominant grass court player ever, so beating him in his absoulte prime in straight sets at Wimbledon is pretty damn impressive.
The level of play in Fed-Safin might have been spectacular, but since that is not the question here, my vote goes to Krajicek.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

sampras never had a chance against krajicek

federer blew match point

nuff said
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Safin beat the GOAT at his GOATiest....probably the best match I've ever seen. Marat is a rock star.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Krajicek victory over Sampras was probably greater but Safin's title was more deserved . Safin in the final played against Hewitt and Krajicek after win over Sampras got extremely lucky with draw . Even bigger luck than Washington in finals was Stoltenberg in semis who beat Ivansevic round before . Goran was really bad match up for Richard
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

My man Richard destroying grassGOAT in straights

doesn't make Safins slaying of RF any less impressive though

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
country flag Hensafmurrafter

Hensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
What this GOAT slaying crap? ROFL... One damn match is a slaying? Slaying is what Nadal has done to Rog. Not what Safin did to Rog or Krajciek did to Pete in one slam match.

Anyone can catch fire for a day or have a good two weeks. Hell, even your watch is right twice a day

My watch is correct all day long. Sounds like you need a new watch, sir.

Tim Henman, Fabrice Santoro, Marat Safin, Patrick Rafter, John McEnroe
Hensafmurrafter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Safin-Federer was the best grand slam match in the Open Era.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Defeating Sampras in straight sets on grass > beating Fed in 5 sets on a slowish hard court.