2011 Year in Review (and MTF Tennis Canada Predictions!) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2011 Year in Review (and MTF Tennis Canada Predictions!)

What a year for Canadian tennis. Lets discuss! Some of the highlights:

- Milos established himself as a top 50 player with the potential for greater things. After that amazing Australian Open run, he became the first Canadian in over 15 years to win an ATP tour tournament in San Jose. The Wimbledon injury really killed his momentum, but if he can defend many of the points early in 2012 he's set up for a good run to the top 20.

- Vasek emerged as top 100 talent, beating all predictions. What a great summer he had and a "breakthrough" at the US Open where he played like a great top 100 talent. Saved his best for Israel though, which leads me to...

- Canada is back in the World Group! Vasek's amazing performance in Israel to clinch the spot by winning all three matches was a highlight, but coming back from 0-2 down in Ecuador just to reach the playoff stage was incredible too (without Milos)

- Daniel Nestor continued to defy his old age by winning the ATP doubles finals with Max Miryni after a mediocre season to that point. Chemistry seems to be improving so 2012 looks promising.

- While he couldn't crack the top 100 again or stay healthy, Frank Dancevic achieved quite a task by qualifying for all four Grand Slams - first player ever to do it. Too bad it never translated into a win in the MD, particularly that collapse against Mello at Wimbledon (probably the low point for Canadian tennis this year).

- At the lower levels of the circuit, Erik Chvojka, Pierre Ludovic Duclos and earlier in the season Phil Bester considerably improved their ranking with great performances, particularly at the futures level. While Polansky and Dancevic didn't have seasons to remember, they finished the season strong, particularly Frank with back to back semi finals in Bratislava and Helsinki against very tough fields.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #2

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Year in Review (and MTF Tennis Canada Predictions!)

Here's a look at the ranking changes of all the players. Almost everyone improved, except for Peter and Phil, but I think Phil's drop is due more to injuries than anything. Chris Klingemann seems to have disappeared too - from 605 ranking last year to none this year.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #3

Thought it would be fun to look back at some of the predictions we made in the "Canadian Players" thread. No one really came close overall, which is more proof of just what a breakout season Canadian tennis had this year!

bigjtennis
milos will break the top 100, and stay there for the rest of the season.
peter should finish at around 140-150 with strong challenger results.
frank: really not sure because of his injuries. if he's healthy, i think he'd finish around 100-120.
vasek and bester should take on challengers and do quite well.
chvojka: he could finish top 300 but i don't know if he's going to play a full calendar year...
diez: he'll continue improving steadily, with big futures results and some challengers.
duclos: i think he's unfortunately going down
klingemann: he should get a few good futures results
pavel: hope he gets 10 points or more.
I also hope a few juniors earn 1 or 2 atp points, espeacially peliwo and nguyen.

dancy_fan
5 predictions from me:

1. Davis Cup - Canada will make it back to the World Group.
2. Frank - Will finish top 80-100
3. Milos - Continues to break out. He will finish 80-100
3. Peter - Will finish 150-200
4. Nestor - New partnership with Mirnyi will not work. Will change partner before end of the year.
5. Bester - Will finish 180-200
*** Possible dream prediction!***
Davis cup Make to World Group
Frank breaks top 50-75 (if injuries free)
Milos breaks top 50-75 (if pressures doesn't get to him and injuries free)
Peter top 100-125 (if starts to belive in himself and injuries free)
Bester top 150-175 (if injuries free)

misty1
peter - will fall further down the chain. He will get back to the 150 range but i doubt he'll go any higher then 150.

milos - will break into the top 100 but will fall out again by the end of the year, ending at around 110 or very close.

frank - will find his form again and make a run at some kind of tournament, possibly the rogers cup and break back into the top 100.

philip - will take on more challengers and get himself into the top 200, finishing around 175.

vasel - dont see him doing anything special, will fair better at the challenger level but will continue to be inconsistent and will be passed by philip in the ranks. He'll finish around 230.

canada - will qualify for the the world group of davis cup taking advantage of a VERY kind draw.

dont really know enough about the juniors to say anything. I could see canada having atleast 6 men playing in a grand slam in some fashion by wimbledon though.

Snowwy
Peter establishes a new career high, but still outside top 100
Milos makes the final of an ATP event
Canada qualifies for the World Group of Davis Cup
Rotaru breaks the top 1000.
Vasek has a positive record in challenger events.

GasquetGulbis
Milos cracks the Top 100, and floats around the bottom of there, unless he gets a nice Grass Season draw, then he could go up to somewhere around 75 or higher in the world.

Peter cracks the top 200 for sure, won't go over 150

Frank, cracks the top 150, sits around 120 at season's end.

Philip, gets into the challengers circuit, probably floats around 200 in the world

Vasek, I'll say that he can break into the top 200, he has the same potential as Polansky in my opinion.

I agree Rotaru should be able to get into the Top 1000, and Chvojka might get top 300

Peliwo should pick up 1 or 2 points in the Futures
Nguyen maybe 1 or 2
Krainik should get to around 10-15 points
Ochotta 1 or 2
Zach White and Haessig might be able to pick up some points, but they're playing College

Ibreak4coffee
5 predictions from me:

1. Davis Cup - Canada will not make it back to the World Group. We'll lose in the playoff.
2. Frank - Will make a nice run at a 250 tournament like Johannesburg. Some solid results will follow, but nothing spectacular. There will be more injuries. He will qualify for a GS, but draw a high seed. Finishes the year at 125.
3. Peter - Will win his first challenger and qualify again for the French Open. However, inconsistent play will continue and he will finish ranked 175.
4. Nestor - New partnership with Mirnyi won't work out... until around July. Then they will take Wimbledon. He will finish the year ranked number 3 in doubles.
5. Milos - Continues to break out. He will finish 82 in the world. He will qualify for the AO and Wimbledon, and win his first GS match in England. At some point, he'll get his wish and play Federer. Will have some nice results on the US hardcourt circuit, but will still have to qualify for the US Open. He will be upset. After, will come back and have another solid indoor season. Will qualify for the MD of the 2012 Aussie Open.

As for Vasek and Phil and Pierre-Ludovic, I have no strong opinions. It could go either way.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
Thought it would be fun to look back at some of the predictions we made in the "Canadian Players" thread. No one really came close overall, which is more proof of just what a breakout season Canadian tennis had this year!

dont really know enough about the juniors to say anything. I could see canada having atleast 6 men playing in a grand slam in some fashion by wimbledon though.
ha, the last time we had that many canadians qualify for wimbledon was back in 1988 when sznajder, pridham, connell, michibata, laurendeau and wostenholme all made the main draw - the golden era of canadian tennis.
tommyg6 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Milos - "Will qualify for the MD of the 2012 Aussie Open"

wow, we really didn't expect Milos to do anything close to what he done.

I thought I made predictions somewhere, guess not

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Milos - "Will qualify for the MD of the 2012 Aussie Open"

wow, we really didn't expect Milos to do anything close to what he done.

I thought I made predictions somewhere, guess not
I thought so too but couldn't find them. If you find them PM me and I'd add it to the list.

And of course there's a new thread for 2012 predictions
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #7

We should give Snowwy credit too for predicting Milos would make an ATP final
Old 12-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
We should give Snowwy credit too for predicting Milos would make an ATP final

But I called a good season for Peter and that did not happen.