The English riots: the personal cost - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English riots: the personal cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
She should be sentenced and receive punishment for her wrong-doing, although 10 months sounds way too harsh for a pair wrong-footed trainers.

I think the system is giving her a punishment for all the other people that were not caught which I think is wrong. One thing this harsh punishment might accomplish though is that it will deter people from stealing and they'll think twice before looting.
I don't know if anything will ever stop riots anywhere They seem to be popping up in so many places anymore I'm just waiting for it to happen here in the U.S. over the Stock Market Protesters.

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
i was waiting for you. it only took you 18 min. not bad...
My new Mac comes with a warning siren when it detects the smell of sulphur.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
I don't know if anything will ever stop riots anywhere They seem to be popping up in so many places anymore I'm just waiting for it to happen here in the U.S. over the Stock Market Protesters.
Maybe it is true. Rioting will probably not cease completely, but the numbers will dwindle if people know what the punishment for their crime is.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Occupy Toronto ended when the local residents demanded their park back and the occupiers couldn't decide what to do next.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post

Please pardon me, Confucius.

In my own humble lack of understanding, I failed to recognize how a somewhat harsh penalty for theft was meaningfully reducible to "the rich screwing the poor."

I will meditate on this further until I achieve your wisdom.
Exactly.

Apart from the logic being awful, the ones whoe were screwed over in the riots were the honest business (usually small business) owners who lost a lot of their property in these riots orchestrated mostly by hooligans and organized criminals.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
A few days ago you were berating me for commenting on a Canadian case where an Afghan man and his son drowned the three girls in the family along with his other wife. (The girls liked nice clothes and talked to boys at school.) You said the press should not report this stuff, for some reason that escapes me other than that you must favour press censorship, so we would all end up reading Granma.
no, that's not the case and i explained my reasons in detail in that thread but that's another business. now onto the following:

Quote:
Given that English justice sets the standard for the world,
if i were to replies with smilies, i'm not sure if my answer should be a or simply a

what do you think?

Quote:
I would think you would favour ignoring this small anomaly in favour of concentrating on the big picture.
like i said to certinfy: read the whole article. it's not just her case, it's the way the english courts have dealt with all of the people who have been involved or were involved in the riots.

so you see, this is about the big picture.

Quote:
Apart from that, if I were to clutter the forum by starting a thread over every little thing I found worthy of criticism in the non-Western world, I would rightly be called a huge mug clown. Why don't you stick to important stuff, like dwarf tossing?
hahaha... in spite of your lack of an adequate political judgement, at least you still have some humour.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
My new Mac comes with a warning siren when it detects the smell of sulphur.
you seem to be quite proud of your new adquisition... this isn't the first time you say you talk about it

steve jobs would be proud
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #23
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Exactly.

Apart from the logic being awful, the ones whoe were screwed over in the riots were the honest business (usually small business) owners who lost a lot of their property in these riots orchestrated mostly by hooligans and organized criminals.
gee, talk about a simplified analysis
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #24
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
Maybe it is true. Rioting will probably not cease completely, but the numbers will dwindle if people know what the punishment for their crime is.
harder sanctions will contain the revolution in the mean time but they won't be able to extinguish the unerlying causes behind it
Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

if i were to replies with smilies, i'm not sure if my answer should be a or simply a

what do you think?

I read the whole article. That is where I saw her modelling ski gloves in August.

As for replying with smilies to my comment that English justice sets the standard for the world: I think maybe you should just give some examples of a superior system.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #26
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what a sham. the rich have been screwing the poor classes for centuries and one harmless teenage girl robs a pair of shoes and gets 10 months in prison. the rich and the politicians are doing everything in their power to protect their system
Theft is theft. Whether it's someone stealing a few tomatoes from the local vegemarket or someone stealing half a dozen iPhone 4's from Dick Smith. Doesn't make it right. Just because the person who stole "less", but happened to get caught, doesn't mean we should stop punishing thieves.

Also, will you ever stop bitching? The rich are rich because they got off their ass and worked. I accept that I will never be rich because I am content to sit on my ass, recieve average salary and half ass my way through life and I accept it. People like you are self entitled and think "the rich are bringing them down" because you are a lazy piece of crap. Stop blaming everyone else and look at yourself.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #27
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

There's no problem with the rich or even having wealth. But they should pay taxes like the rest of the working class. It would help the economies of their respective nations.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #28
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
There's no problem with the rich or even having wealth. But they should pay taxes like the rest of the working class. It would help the economies of their respective nations.
That's why they have elections.

But there is an argument against what you say anyway. Taxes paid to governments do not make wealth as much as jobs in private business does. If you go to the extreme of where Castro paid everybody $15/month and held back the rest in taxes, the result did not help the economy, it ruined it.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #29
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
harder sanctions will contain the revolution in the mean time but they won't be able to extinguish the unerlying causes behind it
Are you so disillusioned that you think a handful of rioting youths is a revolution?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #30
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Theft is theft. Whether it's someone stealing a few tomatoes from the local vegemarket or someone stealing half a dozen iPhone 4's from Dick Smith. Doesn't make it right. Just because the person who stole "less", but happened to get caught, doesn't mean we should stop punishing thieves.

Also, will you ever stop bitching? The rich are rich because they got off their ass and worked. I accept that I will never be rich because I am content to sit on my ass, recieve average salary and half ass my way through life and I accept it. People like you are self entitled and think "the rich are bringing them down" because you are a lazy piece of crap. Stop blaming everyone else and look at yourself.
1. Theft is, of course, theft. However, the law differentiates the penalty for theft based on the amount stolen — at least that is the case in the United States and probably in most countries. The law recognizes that the theft of a tomato is a much lesser harm than is the theft of several thousand dollars . There is misdemeanor theft and felony theft. I think nearly everyone, excepting you evidently, recognizes that the punishment for Bernie Madoff should be greater than for someone stealing a tomato even if “theft is theft.

2. Rich people are usually rich because they inherited wealth from their relatives. That is the most usual way people have acquired wealth. There are some rich people who have worked themselves up from nothing, but they are the minority of wealthy people. There are, of course, others like Mitt Romney and Donald Trump who inherited wealth and then increased their wealth through their own efforts. Let us not delude ourselves that wealthy people have all worked hard for their wealth.

In reality, hard work does not lead to wealth. Many working class people work longer hours and at body crushing labor and never become rich or are even able to get medical insurance. And here I am only talking about western economies. I’m not talking about the millions and millions who toil from dawn to dusk to merely stave off starvation.

So please don’t even entertain the thought that people who do not have money are lazy. You have no idea what people go through to merely maintain their families at malnourished levels.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote