The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #121
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Not arrogant, just honest.
But Y U NO HUMBLE, MAN?!
White knight Mark Lenders crew
Lifts at 1:00 am so I don't have to interact with anyone crew
Get nervous as fuk when I have to say hi to the gym receptionist crew
Too many clowns, not enough time to own them crew
Anti PopCon crew
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #122
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
How come I was always taught never to talk about politics, sex and religion?
Oh, I was taught that too.

Ricky Gervais has a great quote: "When you're a working class child, what your parents hope for is not that you become a doctor, or a lawyer. It's that you don't die in a bar-room fight."

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #123
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Most of my family, even if they do consider themselves catholic, believe in gay rights, are critical towards the pope
this is a common word play in our civilized world in the efforts of good natured religious people to have the best of both worlds, people make their own religion and their own god inside them according to what feels "right" to them, they might "consider" themselves catholic, but that won't make them one, they aren't adhering to the tenets of their faith anymore

there is no room for gays in the Bible, no prophet respected gays or addressed them with any form of respect, on the contrary they were always condemned and punished, and critical towards the pope? would the pope have called those who defied him catholics when christianity was still fresh?

religious teachings and morals have evolved tremendously to catch up with the evolution of morals and human rights in civilized societies to remain acceptable and relevant, what we call "extreme" is simply people who are serious about their faith and follow all the teachings without turning a blind eye on what is considered "bad" in our societies now

but we don't call a spade a spade nowadays

Quote:
Edit: Catholicism is part of christianity. To say otherwise is dumb. The word christianity contains the word "christ" as in Jesus Christ. So, every religion where Jesus is seen as the christ, the messiah,...is part of christianity. In catholicism, Jesus is seen as the messiah, hence, it's a christian religion.
by that definition Islam is also part of Christianity.. I'm sure all Christians would disagree
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #124
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Pope is not God, so who cares what he thinks. God has the last word anyway, so it's quite irrelevant what definition is correct and /or what includes which
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #125
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Pope is not God, so who cares what he thinks. God has the last word anyway, so it's quite irrelevant what definition is correct and /or what includes which
Last word.. I'm still waiting patiently to hear the FIRST word from that guy.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #126
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Last word.. I'm still waiting patiently to hear the FIRST word from that guy.
I'm curious to hear what would you consider "first word"? God making an account on MTF and saying, hey Shambritfan, can you hear me you mug?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #127
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I'm curious to hear what would you consider "first word"? God making an account on MTF and saying, hey Shambritfan, can you hear me you mug?
I expect a text from a number with 12 digits claiming to be the The Almighty's secretary, at the very least.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #128
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
this is a common word play in our civilized world in the efforts of good natured religious people to have the best of both worlds, people make their own religion and their own god inside them according to what feels "right" to them, they might "consider" themselves catholic, but that won't make them one, they aren't adhering to the tenets of their faith anymore
I think that you've been talking to the more extreme believers a bit too much.

Quote:
there is a no room for gays in the Bible, no prophet respected gays or addressed them with any form of respect, on the contrary they were always condemned and punished, and critical towards the pope? would the pope have called those who defied him catholics when christianity was still fresh?

I can only say that many christians I know do make room for gays in this world. Yes, perhaps that's cherry-picking. I can understand that viewpoint (esp. if your viewpoint is static as well). I don't quite agree with that, though. If it makes them fake christians in the eyes of many, fine. I don't think that such matters are that static and absolute.

I don't view what the early popes said about real or fake catholics as relevant. Popes are humans, flawed just like the rest of us. (heck, I don't view what the current pope says as relevant but I'm an agnostic and no longer a practicing catholic anyway)

Quote:
by that definition Islam is also part of Christianity..
No.

No offense but didn't you push the "reply" button a bit too quickly here?
If I'm not mistaken, Islam recognizes Jesus as a prophet but NOT as the messiah. Hence, it's not christianity. "Christ" means, "the anointed one', the "messiah".
The Bible has many prophets but only one messiah.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #129
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that you've been talking to the more extreme believers a bit too much.
doesn't matter who I'm talking to, you didn't say where I was wrong

Quote:

I can only say that many christians I know do make room for gays in this world. Yes, perhaps that's cherry-picking. I can understand that viewpoint (esp. if your viewpoint is static as well). I don't quite agree with that, though. If it makes them fake christians in the eyes of many, fine. I don't think that such matters are that static and absolute.

I don't view what the early popes said about real or fake catholics as relevant. Popes are humans, flawed just like the rest of us. (heck, I don't view what the current pope says as relevant but I'm an agnostic and no longer a practicing catholic anyway)
this is not a matter of opinion, it's straight forward logic, if the God of the Bible and his prophets thought and preached homosexuality is wrong, you either follow them which means you believe what they believe or you don't, not so hard is it?

now if one thinks the God of the Bible is wrong in condemning them and not giving them their equal rights, it's hypocritical to keep pretending they accept the Bible as the truth and claim that they follow it

Quote:
No.

No offense but didn't you push the "reply" button a bit too quickly here?
no

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Islam recognizes Jesus as a prophet but NOT as the messiah. Hence, it's not christianity. "Christ" means, "the anointed one', the "messiah".
The Bible has many prophets but only one messiah.
you are mistaken, you should learn more about a subject before making statements on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masih

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Jesus
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #130
country flag sicko

sicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond repute

Are there famous tennis players that officially do not believe in god?

Last edited by sicko : 11-22-2011 at 07:03 PM.
sicko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #131
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicko View Post
Nadal I think. Might be more though (and might be that they just don't say it so they won't alienate any fans)
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #132
country flag sicko

sicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond reputesicko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Nadal I think. Might be more though (and might be that they just don't say it so they won't alienate any fans)
Nadal: "For me, religion is the main cause of mortality in history"

Not that's it's true, but to say something like that in today's glamor PR world means you got an attitude.

Now I will appreciate the great warrior even more.
sicko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #133
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
doesn't matter who I'm talking to, you didn't say where I was wrong

this is not a matter of opinion, it's straight forward logic, if the God of the Bible and his prophets thought and preached homosexuality is wrong, you either follow them which means you believe what they believe or you don't, not so hard is it?

now if one thinks the God of the Bible is wrong in condemning them and not giving them their equal rights, it's hypocritical to keep pretending they accept the Bible as the truth and claim that they follow it

no

you are mistaken, you should learn more about a subject before making statements on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masih

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Jesus
That's not the same as the Christian view. Islam does not teach that Jesus was God incarnate or the son of God. All Christian denominations hold that as the center-piece of the religion. (Including Catholics Aloimeh)

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #134
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
We might surmise from this statements that Nadal is a non-believer indeed:

http://www.religionenlibertad.com/ar...darticulo=5468

Quote:
"To me, religion is the major cause of mortality in history"
Funny coming from someone whose surname means Christmas.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #135
country flag habibko

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
That's not the same as the Christian view. Islam does not teach that Jesus was God incarnate or the son of God. All Christian denominations hold that as the center-piece of the religion. (Including Catholics Aloimeh)
I didn't say that, refer to Castafiore's definition