The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 11-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #91
country flag Lopez
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 27
Posts: 6,783
Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
The Bible is both mysognistic and homophobic.
Remind me: What do you think of your English skills ?

__________________
After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #92
country flag habibko
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 19,872
habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
One thing about the bible and religion though.. this blind belief may have caused death and suffering, but we would most likely not be as safe as we even are today in the world without religion. Even though I'm pretty sure it's all bullshit myself, I would never want to see a world without religion as a peaceholder. Law and science can only hold up society for so long until things come crashing down around us.. without people having some hope in there being a blessing for the righteous believers after death, rather than the most likely eventuality of just rotting in the ground regardless of what tripe you are told is the truth, crime would be high.. there would be nothing to contain the religious nutters without religion.. they would just be nutters.
if God didn't exist people would have made him up anyway, which is pretty much what happened, nutters will be nutters regardless of their faith, you don't see atheists running around and killing people like mad men whilst extremist religious people are holding society up, if anything it's the other way around

your logic is extremely flawed because it assumes that criminals are criminals because they lack faith in God and an afterlife, this obviously isn't true and crimes have so many different motives that are more significant than that, religion happens to be a major one of them, as a matter of fact good religious people are usually good "despite" their religion and its radical tenets

people who are smart enough to denounce religion are usually smart enough to realize we don't need it to have faith in humanity, love, tolerance and generosity, people are good and kind even without religion, and less hypocritical and awaiting a heavenly reward for their deeds as a plus
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #93
country flag out_here_grindin
Registered User
 
out_here_grindin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 10,040
out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post

Catholicism is as different from Christianity as from Islam.
Have you ever set foot inside a Catholic church?
__________________
Paradorn Srichaphan
Kei Nishikori, Donald Young, Somdev Devvarman, Dustin Brown, Steve Johnson, Yannick Maden
Robert Farah, Clement Reix, Alexander Dolgopolov, Nathan Thompson


Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #94
country flag habibko
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 19,872
habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
It's just a book FFS

Listening to Aloimeh talk about how Catholicism is far from Christianity made me remember this pic:

http://apina.biz/49796.jpg


the Catholicism talk reminded me of another one

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #95
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 28
Posts: 20,517
Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Why is faith a virtue? Why do people like Aloimeh think blindly believing in a supernatural Kim Jong-Il is not only acceptable, but desirable and praiseworthy? In fact, they go further than that. They say faith is the only thing that matters, after all.

Why? Why??? What is so admirable about blind faith? Humankind has progressed incredibly in an incredibly short period of time. Societies, at least the Western ones, are now better, fairer, safer, freer. And they have not achieved that thanks to faith, belief or unfounded superstitions. They have achieved that through logic, rational thinking and a scientific, empirical approach to life. That is a fact, examples of that are all around us. We know that that approach works, we know it is the way to go, we have seen its fruits and fully understand and share its predicament.

Yet the religious would make us believe an approach that is the exact opposite of that, an approach based on unfounded, unsupported belief and blind faith is not only commendable, but the most commendable of all human attitudes!

I for one do not want to cherish a God that values my believing in him in the lack of any shred of evidence over my integrity and goodness as a person.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #96
country flag Lopez
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 27
Posts: 6,783
Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Yet the religious would make us believe an approach that is the exact opposite of that, an approach based on unfounded, unsupported belief and blind faith is not only commendable, but the most commendable of all human attitudes!

I for one do not want to cherish a God that values my believing in him in the lack of any shred of evidence over my integrity and goodness as a person.
One of the reasons is surely that they offer explanations to questions that you cannot possibly know the answer to. People don't like ambiguity, especially when it concerns their own death.

I've always been slightly moved by this, coming from a man who's probably close to death:

__________________
After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #97
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 28
Posts: 20,517
Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
One of the reasons is surely that they offer explanations to questions that you cannot possibly know the answer to. People don't like ambiguity, especially when it concerns their own death.

I've always been slightly moved by this, coming from a man who's probably close to death:

I understand the human tendency towards faith, what I don't understand is why it should be seen as admirable or even acceptable as a means to acquire knowledge or truth (which is what religious people do, whether they want to admit it or not).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #98
country flag Lopez
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 27
Posts: 6,783
Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
I understand the human tendency towards faith, what I don't understand is why it should be seen as admirable or even acceptable as a means to acquire knowledge or truth (which is what religious people do, whether they want to admit it or not).
Well yes, I agree with you there
__________________
After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #99
country flag Seingeist
Registered User
 
Seingeist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 29
Posts: 2,929
Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Wow. What a disappointing mess that I wake up to this morning.

In 7 pages of fruitless, chaotic spewings, I counted 5 posts that were loosely on topic, and not a single one of them attempted to engage any of the points in my opening post.

It is to these loosely "on-topic" posts that I will respond.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Yes, the so-called 'Holy' Bible contains TONS of mysogyny, hatred towards gays, well, in fact, hatred to whatever doesn't fit in with the opinions of 'true believers'.
Our topic here is the Biblical/Christian position on women, not homosexuals.

You can make bald claims about these "TONS of misogyny" until you're blue in the face, but until you can actually show or demonstrate it, your assertions are empty and non-compelling. If there are indeed "TONS," then it should be extremely easy to make your case.

Of course, you'll also have to explain away the points that I made in my opening post, which demonstrate the (unparalleled) profound value and dignity of women in the Christian worldview.

************************************************** *************************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Oh you know.. the usual. Written by men..
Yes. By virtue of the fact that nearly the entire ancient world was "patriarchal" in its socio-political structure, most "occupations" (including "scribe") were held by men.

Quote:
for men..
Demonstrably false. The message of Christianity is to everyone and for everyone. I have already demonstrated this in my opening post - see the final verse.

Quote:
male dominance.. female oppression..
Again, what you describe here is more a function of "patriarchal" society than of Judaism or Christianity; the Bible establishes the equal dignity and value of women in the eyes of God, and this was reflected even in the fact that the OT laws were far more fair to women than those of the other contemporary patriarchal societies. I have already shown this in relation to the verses above, and you have done nothing to detract from that.

Quote:
male God..
More symbolic than literal (God does not have genitals), and you're really grasping at straws if this is supposed to demonstrate "misogyny."

************************************************** ****************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verd View Post
As for the subject of this thread, any fool with an iota of literacy can easily see where the Bible is misogynistic. The punishments proscribed for sexual "crimes" are generally far harsher for a woman than they are for men, as they also are for men who abandon the traditional male gender role (i.e. take on the "woman's role") by lying with other men.
I have used Biblical evidence (that Clydey was kind enough to offer) that shows the very level footing of men and women in terms of sexual sin and the law. You have neither offered any of your own, nor explained away the case that I presented.

Therefore, in spite of the fact that you tell us that "any fool with an iota of literacy" can easily see the "misogyny" of the Bible, your statements are (like Sunset's) empty and non-compelling. Even your hypothetical barely-literate fool requires more than careless and bald assertions.


Quote:
And despite the Bible's claim that women's status as childbearers is a holy/divine role, the rules for pregnant or menstruating women are all based around the idea that women are unclean. A woman who has just discharged her "holy" duty to "be fruitful and multiply" by giving birth is considered unclean and is considered unworthy to enter the tabernacle without offering a blood sacrifice after she waits the proscribed period: if she gives birth to a boy she is unclean for a week and must wait 33 days to be purified, whereas if she gives birth to a girl she is unclean for two weeks and must wait 66 days. This is misogyny plain and simple, predicated on the notion that women are unclean and of less worth.
Your conclusion is entirely inaccurate and wrongheaded. Ritual purification centered largely around bodily excretion. It involves laws that regulate eating and even excretory functions (directed at both men and women). Sperm, for example, was seen as particularly "unclean." Leviticus 15:16 ("When a man has an emission of semen, he is to bathe himself completely with water, and he will remain unclean until evening") is alone sufficient to demolish your ridiculously flimsy case.

In other words, it is not "women" who are unclean, as you claim, but "bodily emissions" generally speaking (and I should hope that it is obvious how "menstruation" fits into that picture).


Quote:
This notion of women being ritually unclean[...]
Not women, emissions.

Quote:
[...]is not unique to Christianity but it's a major part of its history, and is the root of all the rules which are still in place in some Christian denominations that bar women from participating in the religion as fully as men do, whether it be their prohibition from distributing communion, teaching in church, touching sacred objects, or being ordained.
This is also a wildly false claim. The "root" of such rules lies in tradition and in the general symbolism of male "authority" or "headship." As you note, these sorts of regulations are not uniform across the denominations, and the interpretations of the Scriptural passages used to support them vary widely.

Moreover, even in those more "restrictive" denominations, it is not quite correct to say that they do not "participate in the religion as fully as men do." The crux of Christianity is not who hands out the crackers and wine, but who has a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. There is absolutely no distinction made between men and women in that regard.

Quote:
People can cry all they want about critics "cherry-picking" bad verses from the Bible to delegitimize it. Those people never stop to wonder why there is a veritable smorgasbord of verses for us "critics" to choose from, and how they themselves are cherry-picking the verses out of the Bible that makes them feel comfortable and happy with the religion they've chosen.
"Cherry-picking" involves selecting a few isolated verses and entirely ignoring their specific context as well as the overall message and purpose of the Bible/Christianity. Naturally, this is great for rhetorical purposes and people who have no interest in a genuine understanding, but it is entirely useless for anyone interested in an honest accounting of things (i.e. the truth). You might note with interest that I did not "cherry-pick" verses that "made me feel comfortable." I actually used the verses that a vehement opponent to Christianity (Clydey) selected in order to make my case.

You, on the other hand, have entirely ignored these verses and the case that I made above that demonstrates the dignity and value that Christianity (like nothing else) attributes to women via Scripture.

You have ignored the fact that in both the Old and New Testaments, there are women who are held up as courageous and heroic and who perform enormously significant acts for the kingdom of God in historical periods within which the majority of the world assigned women an entirely insignificant role and status.

And it is up to you to explain how a religion and people who are so obviously "misogynistic" that a "fool" could see it would tell women that they are equals in the eyes of God (from the mouth of Jesus), would tell men to love and cherish their wives in the most sacrificial and selfless way possible, would go out of its way to show Jesus expressing His love and mercy to even the societally lowest of women (the prostitute).

************************************************** *************************************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
The Bible is not particularly misogynistic, although it would be true to say that it is patriarchal.
It is not even "slightly" misogynistic. And as you do a good job of pointing out immediately below, even in terms of "patriarchy," the Bible positions women in a far more dignified and equal way than any contemporary society would have deemed acceptable or appropriate.

Quote:
For instance, the Old Testament laws oftentimes go way beyond those of other societies in putting women on a more equal footing. The commandment tells us to honor both our father and mother (not just the father). It also says that a child who curses or strikes his mother - just like his father - is worthy of punishment (death). In adultery, both the man and woman get stoned. When it's clear that it was **** only the rapist gets stoned.
Yes.

Quote:
Christianity, on the other hand, gives women practically equal rights.
Again, I object slightly to the wording of this ("practically equal"), but I suppose that it depends on what you mean by "rights." In terms of intrinsic value, dignity, and the love of God, women are entirely equal to men. The particular roles assigned to men and women differ, inasmuch as men and women are innately different (much of this difference is biological).

Quote:
Read the Gospels. Women are discriminated against in terms of church service and are to be subject to their husbands in the home, but anyone reading the Gospel will see just how prominent of a role women had in Jesus' ministry - Mary, Elizabeth, Anna, Mary & Martha, Mary Magdalene, etc.
And husbands, as I have shown above, are to be devoted servants to their wives who put the well-being of their wives above their own ("subject" in another sense, if you like). Moreover, sexually speaking, they are mutually subject, which I also touched on in my original post.

************************************************** *********************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
The Bible is both mysognistic and homophobic.
A bald, unsupported, and accordingly useless contribution.

You may write that sentence on a chalkboard one hundred times in the manner of Bart Simpson in the show's opening sequence, but it will render it no more true or convincing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
God will spit in your face before sending you to hell.

Last edited by Seingeist : 11-21-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #100
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 11,256
Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
if God didn't exist people would have made him up anyway, which is pretty much what happened, nutters will be nutters regardless of their faith, you don't see atheists running around and killing people like mad men whilst extremist religious people are holding society up, if anything it's the other way around

your logic is extremely flawed because it assumes that criminals are criminals because they lack faith in God and an afterlife, this obviously isn't true and crimes have so many different motives that are more significant than that, religion happens to be a major one of them, as a matter of fact good religious people are usually good "despite" their religion and its radical tenets

people who are smart enough to denounce religion are usually smart enough to realize we don't need it to have faith in humanity, love, tolerance and generosity, people are good and kind even without religion, and less hypocritical and awaiting a heavenly reward for their deeds as a plus
You're correct in all respects. Of course criminals would be criminals regardless of their faith or lack thereof. It's just that people are afraid of the darkness - we naturally fear the unknown, and what does an animal like a human who is blind to its own fate likely to do? Lash out most likely. This is just assuming faith never existed at all to this day.. but yeah, I suppose like you said with our intellect, faith is something that was unavoidable.. kinda ironic actually considering how little logic is placed into believing in these fairy tales. My dog would howl with laughter if he could understand the concept.. and could laugh.

But hey, I wouldn't call all religous people idiots. I do respect many religious people who do not practice their faith in an extreme manner. Sure, I disagree with them, but I can only respect their beliefs regardless, particularly those who do not preach and keep an open mind about all faiths and not only the one they were brought up on. These kinds of people just want to do good while they live without worrying too much about the benefits they may gain by being a decent fella. They follow their teachings but do the right things not because they've been told to do so, but because they're righteous by nature.

The types of religious people I find disgraceful are those that only believe in their God and his/her teachings and act like honest and good righteous people because that is what they have been told they must do to live a great life and reach heaven or something similar. Unfortunately, this is the large majority I've noticed from personal experience. It's an incredibly selfish way of thinking and regardless of what they have been told, it makes no sense that they would be considered a "better" person than for example a kind and caring atheist. "Don't hurt people, otherwise God will punish you and you will go to hell" .. well I dunno about the rest of you, but it should be simpler than that.. "Don't hurt people.. full stop".

I see it everyday.. people going to Churches, temples, Mosques.. to relieve their guilt or display their faith and wanting to do right by what they are told to do by "God", possibly even out of fear of this almighty God.. they go not because they particularly want to, but for the reason and belief that they'll get benefits and be "rewarded" for their goodness. How contradictory.. they do this all the while pointing fingers at the "sinners" that are the atheists and those that don't believe what they do, despite many of them being selfless, being good because they want to be good and not expecting much in terms of karma or afterlife, rather than seeking blessings and benefits.

Karma.. I laugh.

Last edited by Sham Kay : 11-21-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #101
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 28
Posts: 20,517
Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

I brought more toys:


Quote:
"1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Say to the Israelites: 'A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days" Leviticus 12:1-2
Wives are treated as mere property, all throughout the bible:

Quote:
"Exodus 21:1 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.

Exodus 21:2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.

Exodus 21:3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.

Exodus 21:4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

"Exodus 21:7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

Exodus 21:8 If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.

Exodus 21:9 And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.

Exodus 21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

Exodus 21:11 And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money."


Keep all men and all non-virgin women. But don't kill the virgin ones, just have fun with them!

Quote:
Numbers:

"17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 But all the women-children, that have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."


From the New Testament. You know, the "nice bit":

Quote:
"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. " -1 Timothy 2:11

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says." -1 Corinthians 14:34

I have more, much more. But that should keep the Holy Babble's apologists busy for a while.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #102
country flag habibko
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 19,872
habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
You're correct in all respects. Of course criminals would be criminals regardless of their faith or lack thereof. It's just that people are afraid of the darkness - we naturally fear the unknown, and what does an animal like a human who is blind to its own fate likely to do? Lash out most likely. This is just assuming faith never existed at all to this day.. but yeah, I suppose like you said with our intellect, faith is something that was unavoidable.. kinda ironic actually considering how little logic is placed into believing in these fairy tales. My dog would howl with laughter if he could understand the concept.. and could laugh.

But hey, I wouldn't call all religous people idiots. I do respect many religious people who do not practice their faith in an extreme manner. Sure, I disagree with them, but I can only respect their beliefs regardless, particularly those who do not preach and keep an open mind about all faiths and not only the one they were brought up on. These kinds of people just want to do good while they live without worrying too much about the benefits they may gain by being a decent fella. They follow their teachings but do the right things not because they've been told to do so, but because they're righteous by nature.

The types of religious people I find disgraceful are those that only believe in their God and his/her teachings and act like honest and good righteous people because that is what they have been told they must do to live a great life and reach heaven or something similar. Unfortunately, this is the large majority I've noticed from personal experience. It's an incredibly selfish way of thinking and regardless of what they have been told, it makes no sense that they would be considered a "better" person than for example a kind and caring atheist. "Don't hurt people, otherwise God will punish you and you will go to hell" .. well I dunno about the rest of you, but it should be simpler than that.. "Don't hurt people.. full stop".

I see it everyday.. people going to Churches, temples, Mosques.. to relieve their guilt or display their faith and wanting to do right by what they are told to do by "God", possibly even out of fear of this almighty God.. they go not because they particularly want to, but for the reason and belief that they'll get benefits and be "rewarded" for their goodness. How contradictory.. they do this all the while pointing fingers at the "sinners" that are the atheists and those that don't believe what they do, despite many of them being selfless, being good because they want to be good and not expecting much in terms of karma or afterlife, rather than seeking blessings and benefits.

Karma.. I laugh.
now that's a post I would almost fully agree with, it's refreshing to see one so young and so wise

almost because I disagree with a tiny detail which is in bold, I don't respect their beliefs, I might respect them for who they are as a person, but I don't think unfounded blind faith is a virtue, especially when it turns people into morally vile and twisted characters and often leads to violence once someone decides to follow the script by the letter, not to mention when the founding script of said religion contains so many disgusting parts
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #103
country flag Seingeist
Registered User
 
Seingeist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 29
Posts: 2,929
Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
But that should keep the Holy Babble's apologists busy for a while.
Quite the contrary, actually. You've dropped in a few passages whose context you do not even begin (or attempt) to appreciate or understand.

Moreover, you have not touched the points that I made in my original post, and none of those hastily posted verses refutes or overturns any of them.

I could "busy" myself with those verses with long and thorough posts, and you would ignore them just as thoughtlessly as you did the original post.

I would make the concession that it's a "nice try," but it is not even that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
God will spit in your face before sending you to hell.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #104
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,532
cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

How come I was always taught never to talk about politics, sex and religion?
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #105
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.
 
Naudio Spanlatine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Posts: 23,838
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
How come I was always taught never to talk about politics, sex and religion?
__________________
#BENSPILLINTEA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios