The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #46
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalMyHero View Post
its says so in the bible:
Can't argue with that logic. It's so cute.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #47
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post
I'm gonna first address the question at hand and then veer off-tangent slightly.

First of all, whether the bible is misogynistic at all is really not our concern. Regardless of whether God or his followers wrote the bible, (which I will first say I am more inclined to believe the latter), it was written at a certain point of time. Social norms are only valid for the time period they were found in. (e.g. Slavery was normal in Roman times but not in modern period, i.e. misogyny may be acceptable or in fact demanded at that time, vs how it is not acceptable now). Whether or not misogyny was accepted is another matter, but whether the bible is misogynistic at all is really not our concern as it is only applicable to social standards then.

Which leads me to my 2nd point.
Given that we can all conclude that not everything in the bible can be taken as written, can we all just agree to disagree? Bible-believers will always believe, and non-bible-believers will never believe. ALL I ASK is for bible-believers to stop quoting the bible as "fact" (when it is so obviously not sufficient on its own to be a fact) or, this is my more important concern, making laws on the basis of the bible (far more problematic). Similarly, burning the bible is kind of stupid, especially if it's burning hotel bibles, seeing as they're not really your property.

I will say this though, the only thing I am truly unhappy about the bible is that it brings about crazy people like Aloimeh
i think we should quote bible scriptures to get our point across but people can agree and disagree thats what forums and threads are for right? and plus the Word is translated to different versions, such as; King James Version, International Version, American Standard Bible and etc.

the king james version is really how is actually written in the Word while other translations are for other people to understand what the King James Version is saying, so i understand its ridiculous for believers to quote bible scriptures but were not jus doing it for the heck of it, maybe some others but the reason is because most believers know the Word and know what the meaning of the scripture is telling you, Alomieh is not perfect, but yes he does go overboard which he didnt have to, but i do agree with some of his comments
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #48
I wanna taste u.

Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Can't argue with that logic. It's so cute.
and what is it are you applying my dear friend
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #49
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
You asked for a quote, and I gave it to you. Jesus' two great commandments come straight from Deuteronomy and Leviticus and unfortunately it seems you didn't know that. Now you do.

As for my views on much of the content of Deuteronomy and Leviticus: it was right at the particular place, time, and for that particular people (God's chosen, Israel) but we shouldn't draw conclusions from it as to our behavior. Some of those laws are clearly ceremonial and have no hold on us. Others still hold, obviously. I don't think the Old Testament is "hateful," I just think it illustrates very well that God is a righteous, holy, God who is outraged at sin and will not tolerate it.

And don't lie about God's word. There is no message of "universal love." There is a message of universal forgiveness for those who repent, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and follow the will of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Father. The vast majority of those screaming "God is love" don't want to obey His clear commandments because they love their sin too much and want to continue sinning.
I asked for a quote challenging my assertion that the hatered of Deuteronomy is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. You did not deliver.

It must be nice to be able brush off such gross inconsistencies with the cop out "it was right at the time". Could you elaborate on when and why God changed His mind from "love strangers" to "enslave strangers"?

No message of universal love? What do you call this then?

"You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you"

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse"

"Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble"

and so on...
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #50
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and what is it are you applying my dear friend
Oh you know.. the usual. Written by men.. for men.. male dominance.. female oppression.. male God.. contradictions.. yada yada.

Best selling fictional book of all time that Bible.. the writers deserve their kudos. The tales kept me on the edge of my seat as a kid.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #51
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verd View Post
If your alleged god lumps the "actions" of gays like me together with those of killers and thieves and sexual criminals, then I am even more glad your god doesn't exist.

As for the subject of this thread, any fool with an iota of literacy can easily see where the Bible is misogynistic. The punishments proscribed for sexual "crimes" are generally far harsher for a woman than they are for men, as they also are for men who abandon the traditional male gender role (i.e. take on the "woman's role") by lying with other men. And despite the Bible's claim that women's status as childbearers is a holy/divine role, the rules for pregnant or menstruating women are all based around the idea that women are unclean. A woman who has just discharged her "holy" duty to "be fruitful and multiply" by giving birth is considered unclean and is considered unworthy to enter the tabernacle without offering a blood sacrifice after she waits the proscribed period: if she gives birth to a boy she is unclean for a week and must wait 33 days to be purified, whereas if she gives birth to a girl she is unclean for two weeks and must wait 66 days. This is misogyny plain and simple, predicated on the notion that women are unclean and of less worth. This notion of women being ritually unclean is not unique to Christianity but it's a major part of its history, and is the root of all the rules which are still in place in some Christian denominations that bar women from participating in the religion as fully as men do, whether it be their prohibition from distributing communion, teaching in church, touching sacred objects, or being ordained.

People can cry all they want about critics "cherry-picking" bad verses from the Bible to delegitimize it. Those people never stop to wonder why there is a veritable smorgasbord of verses for us "critics" to choose from, and how they themselves are cherry-picking the verses out of the Bible that makes them feel comfortable and happy with the religion they've chosen. They need to examine how they are conveniently absolving themselves of any responsibility for the hate and discrimination perpetrated on millions with the justification of Bible passages they claim to disavow even as they try to defend the book as a legitimate moral authority and Guide to Living.
if you wouldve read my other quote:
Quote:
im sorry my spelling was wrong its suppose to say: God doesnt hate the gays, murderers, thieves, rapists, pedifiles and others, he hates the act they commit, too many people always think that God hates ppl but thats not true, God loves everyone and yes we are all sinners thats how it is, this world would end in the most bloodist, horrible and scary way you could imagine, jus look at book of revelations, it tells you how the world is gonna end
then you wouldve understand that i was sry that i mispelled the word in the bold area,

anyways, how is God discriminating people, if he did that he wouldve wiped us all out, so your saying that the Word is basically false and our births were never meant to be, thats very absurd, if you havent heard of Adam and Eve, Jesus and the Cross, David and Goliath, then you really should read about them, God made Mary "The Virgin" gave birth to Jesus, she was 90, he wanted Jesus to heal the sick and the wound he wanted Jesus to send the message to the people about what has God planned for the Jews, but also God wanted Jesus to die for our sins so that all of us sinners will be forgiven, if Jesus didnt die on the cross, we would be in the wrath already and their wont be none of us, so we all shall be thankful that God gave us all a second chance to live life, he expects us to sin, all of us, its the way of life, no one is perfect God doesnt expect us to be perfect, all God wants us to do is to obey his Word and have wisdom thats all he wants us to do, the problem is people take for granted of what life really is, we need to realize that God does give us second chances because he loves us

another reason why i mentioned gays, murderer, child molesters, rapists, thieves, and etc. is because most people who are traditionists would label gays as evildoers like them, i never would label them like that, im jus telling you that God doesnt hate them, he hates what they do in their lifestyle
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #52
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Oh you know.. the usual. Written by men.. for men.. male dominance.. female oppression.. male God.. contradictions.. yada yada.

Best selling fictional book of all time that Bible.. the writers deserve their kudos. The tales kept me on the edge of my seat as a kid.
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #53
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow. This thread turned to shit faster than it would take heya to troll a Roddick thread.

First of all, I am what they in the states would call a born-again christian. Secondly, it's worth repeating that Aloimeh is a TERRIBLE spokesperson for Christianity. He seems to love judging others despite the fact that the Bible strictly says we don't have a right to do that since we all fail sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Yes, the so-called 'Holy' Bible contains TONS of mysogyny, hatred towards gays, well, in fact, hatred to whatever doesn't fit in with the opinions of 'true believers'.

If that book is 'Holy', well then, I'm Queen Elizabeth I.

Sorry, but I despise it.
Whenever I come across a Bible in a hotel room drawer wherever, whenever (and as you may know by now, I am a traveller) - the first thing I do, is get rid of the awful pages of Deuteronium 22 and the like, burn them up in smoke.

Whoa. Karin, if you have any trust at all in me as a friend, believe this: Christianity is not as crazy as it sounds. Aloimeh is just the worst representation of this religion. Believe me this once, I know first hand what I'm talking about. Within the Bible there are places which I don't really understand, Deu 22 is one of them, but as a whole it is an incredible book. I have read it through.

However I won't deny there are some intolerant, hateful people in this world who call themselves christians who think the Bible instructs them to hate certain groups. This is clearly not the message of the Bible though, which anyone can see if they study it closer.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.

Last edited by Orka_n : 11-21-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #54
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
I know you mistyped. Doesn't change the fact that you lumped together gays with actual criminals and tried to argue that your god only hates all of our actions. Because your god and some of its followers believe that me loving another consenting adult is a sin that needs to be forgiven the same way as someone shooting up a liquor store. Any god who can come up with that is either or fascist.

Your larger paragraph is basically a bunch of fallaciously argued gobbledygook so I'm not going to even touch that with a ten-foot-pole. But as to your "lifestyle" comments, you are way off base with that one. My penchant for Thai food and hiking is part of my lifestyle; the person I fall in love with isn't a "lifestyle."
i didnt lump them together i was trying to answer a question that someone said about god hating gays, criminals etc, i didnt say that gays were criminals i didnt even try to compare them, the reason why i said about their "lifestyle" is because everybody has their own lifestyle DONT WE ALL,my meaning of their "lifestyle" basically says that its what you want to do instead of what somebody tells you to do, ok so "lifestyle" was the wrong term im sry for using that word, God doesnt believe in relationships between two males and two females, he believes in a male and female relationship thats how he is, and quit saying "your God" its absolutely nonsense, jus say that it is what you believe in, thats all you need to say!

but hey if you dont believe in God, hey thats your choice, im not gonna crucify you for not believing in Him, im jus stating my opinion in what i believe, im not trying to judge anyone, im jus a christian whose trying to live her life and be appreciated in life
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #55
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How convenient that you didn't notice the part where she talks about burning pages out of Bibles in hotels. Or did you see it and approve?
The only possible explanation for your post is that you're not actually being serious and that you're merely parodying what a hardcore Christian would say. Otherwise, I'd find it - and you, by extension - slightly worrying.

I saw Sunset's post about burning pages from the Bible. My post did not address whether I approved or disapproved with her actions. My post addressed only the vile nature of your response to her, which at least matched, if not exceeded, the offensive nature of her actions. On second thought, I would say that you came out tops in the contest of whose post was more disgusting - your post smacked of the kind of irrational and hateful spite that I hope to never come in contact with in my daily, offline life. Thankfully most of the Christians that I've encountered in my life are normal people.

Quote:

I'm glad your Christian friends are "nice." I'm also not surprised that you aren't Christian, when they sell you this polite and saccharine story.
You're not very impressed with that, are you?
Sorry, didn't understand what you meant by "polite and saccharine" story. I can say, however, that almost all my friends are Christians and they've presented a way better version of Christianity than you have on this forum, and not just in this thread.

And of course, trust you to imply that my friends' version of Christianity is flawed.

Quote:
I don't spew hate. I love Sunset of Age, that's why I tell her what she is, what she's doing, and what she must do to set things right. She hates God, she destroys His word, mocks Him and His followers, and leads a life of sin. She is headed on an express train to hell. She knows now what she must do to avoid it. I've told her and done my part.
If that's your version of love, then I fear for your enemies.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #56
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Oh wow. This thread turned to shit faster than it would take heya to troll a Roddick thread.

First of all, I am what they in the states would call a born-again christian. Secondly, it's worth repeating that Aloimeh is a TERRIBLE spokesperson for Christianity. He seems to love judging others despite the fact that the Bible strictly says we don't have a right to do that since we all fail sometimes.

Whoa. Karin, if you have any trust at all in me as a friend, believe this: Christianity is not as crazy as it sounds. Aloimeh is just the worst representation of this religion. Believe me this once, I know first hand what I'm talking about. Within the Bible there are places which I don't really understand, Deu 22 is one of them, but as a whole it is an incredible book. I have read it through.

However I won't deny there are some intolerant, hateful people in this world who call themselves christians who think the Bible instructs them to hate certain groups. This is clearly not the message of the Bible though, which anyone can see if they study it closer.
I agree completely with the bolded parts. I've always thought it somewhat ironic that, as an atheist, some of my closest friends are practising Christians. In fact, my boyfriend is a Christian. I went to a Catholic school. At least 99% of the Christians that I've encountered are nothing like Aloimeh. There weren't many like him in my school either.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #57
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
By saying "your god" I am stating what I believe in. The god you speak of is one you believe in and the one you hold as a moral authority. It's not my god and it would be difficult for me to find any authority in something I don't believe in. Therefore, "your god."

And sorry, but you don't get to have it both ways. You don't get to tell me or anyone else that the god you hold as the moral authority "doesn't believe" in the relationship(s) that are an essential part of who I am and then get to skip away and type "" and say you're not judging anyone. Telling me that your moral authority doesn't believe in or approve of what I am as a person isn't judging? Good one, try that on someone who isn't paying attention.

wow, yet you still think I'm judging people? Im jus stating what God does and doesn't like, im not expecting you to follow Him I was jus telling you what God says, im a bisexual I like both men and women, and im a christian, but I know what the Word says, if I was judging gays or anybody else I would've spread blasphemy on the gays n lesbians and bicurious and so on, but no I dont do that because I'm a human being and I know who I am, I wouldnt judge anybody I dont care who you are, of course everyone would judge ppl once or more in our lifetime, so I appreciate who you are jus like I appreciate who I am, and I will say this im not a perfect christian, no other christian is tbh, you can hate me or love me, but I'm jus like I said stating what God says not what I said, what I said I stated in my own opinions of what God was saying
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com

Last edited by Naudio Spanlatine : 11-21-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #58
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I agree completely with the bolded parts. I've always thought it somewhat ironic that, as an atheist, some of my closest friends are practising Christians. In fact, my boyfriend is a Christian. I went to a Catholic school. At least 99% of the Christians that I've encountered are nothing like Aloimeh. There weren't many like him in my school either.
I have never encountered a christian like Aloimeh IRL, and I've met quite a few christians.

Anyway, what I find frustrating, even tragic, is that these rough discussions never even have any progress. The thing with christianity is that, while you can like or dislike it as a religion, you cannot truly understand it until you have experienced it yourself. This is the reason for all misunderstandings and all the prejudice about christians being "brain washed".

Now, I'm not saying brain wash is not possible. I have talked to Jehovah's Witnesses who have looked at me with such blanc and empty eyes it was scary. It was like their mind was buried somewhere, I couldn't "see" the person I was talking to even if I had eye contact.
However the Bible actually encourages the reader to check if the things it says actually works. (With an open mind, that is. If someone is not really searching for God then probably nothing will happen. God will not violate the free will.)
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.

Last edited by Orka_n : 11-21-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #59
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope this rabid creature also realizes that she's guilty of arson and destruction of property, which could additionally be construed as reckless endangerment, theft, and vandalism. All felonies.

I hope she gets caught some day, but given the fleshpots/whorehouses/hellholes she visits that cater to her kind, I bear no illusion that she will face justice and indeed am surprised that Bibles are allowed in those dog kennels/leper colonies.

But she will get what's hers in the final day of judgment and ever after.
Disgusting comment. Equal to what Bigjohn said to you.

Quote:
As for my views on much of the content of Deuteronomy and Leviticus: it was right at the particular place, time, and for that particular people (God's chosen, Israel) but we shouldn't draw conclusions from it as to our behavior. Some of those laws are clearly ceremonial and have no hold on us. Others still hold, obviously. I don't think the Old Testament is "hateful," I just think it illustrates very well that God is a righteous, holy, God who is outraged at sin and will not tolerate it.
But doesn't the fact that you can make the distinction from the commandments that should be followed to the ones that shouldn't prove that your morality comes from somewhere else (i.e. the morality of your society). If the book were a source of all morality, then you wouldn't be able to make the distinction.

Ask a normal Christian what they think about homosexuality and /or the act of homosexual sex, nowadays they will probably widely accept it compared to say 50 years ago. The book hasn't changed, but the moral zeitgeist has. (I know you will disagree)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
I have never encountered a christian like Aloimeh IRL, and I've met quite a few christians.

Anyway, what I find frustrating, even tragic, is that these rough discussions never even have any progress. The thing with christianity is that, while you can like or dislike it as a religion, you cannot truly understand it until you have experienced it yourself. This is the reason for all misunderstandings and all the prejudice about christians being "brain washed".

Now, I'm not saying brain wash is not possible. I have talked to Jehovah's Witnesses who have looked at me with such blanc and empty eyes it was scary. It was like their mind was buried somewhere, I couldn't "see" the person I was talking to even if I had eye contact.
However the Bible actually encourages the reader to check if the things it says actually works. (With an open mind, that is. If someone is not really searching for God then probably nothing will happen. God will not violate the free will.)
Yeah I have not met one like Aloimeh either.

Believe it or not, I was actually once religious, around the time of my confirmation and a few years after that. But slowly doubt crept in and my views have changed. While I might be open to a vague notion of a deity (and I don't believe in that either), it certainly has nothing to do with any that the organized religions promote. I am still a member of the church for some personal reasons, though I plan to separate from it later on in my life.

But I think saying that "nothing will happen without an open mind" is a bit disrespectful towards some people (or perhaps I'm misinterpreting). I'm willing to bet there are hundreds that have really struggled and tried to find their faith but have "failed" and are now atheists. I've heard many such things in the US for example, where faith is such a big deal. Losing their faith there has been a tremendous process and involved a LOT of Bible studies etc. Are you saying that they have not approached the subject with an open mind?
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #60
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if there is a God, but I definitely know there isn't a Devil.

Because with a God like that, who the hell needs the Devil???

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote