The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #31
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
How do you know that? Did he confirm it when you last spoke to him on the phone?
i expect a person like you to say that

its says so in the bible:

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

“But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ [i.e., made us alive in Christ], (by grace ye are saved) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.” —Ephesians 2:4-8

he loves the world, he loves all sinners he loves everyone, but hates their evil doing, their wrong acts, their disobeying Him, why did he brought us into the world, why did he give us second chances, why did he bless us with parents and talents and love....why dont you tell me that
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com

Last edited by Naudio Spanlatine : 11-21-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #32
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
Dude, Jesus is quoting Deuteronomy and Leviticus there:

These two verses, particularly 6:4, are some of the most foundational verses in all of the Old Testament. They form part of the Shema Yisrael, the greatest prayer in all of Judaism. Deuteronomy 6:4 is posted on the facade of the synagogue near where I live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shema_Yisrael
That's the only place in the Old Testament where it talks about loving your neighbor, in Leviticus!
Now find me a quote where he endorses all the hatred and destruction of Deuteronomy.

What don't you understand? When I say the teachings of Jesus are not compatible with the hatred in Deuteronomy, I obviously don't mean "love thy neighbor", but filth like the quotes below and the ones Clydey posted.

"thou shalt utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor show mercy unto them"

"Of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shall save alive nothing that breatheth"

It is obviously the work of different people with very different philosophies. Deuteronomy and Leviticus go on to limit the meaning of neighbor, from universal to tribalist. Look how the attitude towards "strangers" evolves in Leviticus.

From: "the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself"

To: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

"Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they have begotten in your land: and they shall be your possession."

"You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Perfectly consistent

A religion of universal love was distorted.

Last edited by Mjau! : 11-21-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #33
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalMyHero View Post
i expect a person like you to say that

its says so in the bible:

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

he loves the world, he loves all sinners he loves everyone, but hates their evil doing, their wrong acts, their disobeying Him, why did he brought us into the world, why did he give us second chances, why did he bless us with parents and talents and love....why dont you tell me that

If he loves the world so much, then why does God allow disasters, famine, disease, slavery, suffering, etc?

To quote Epicurus and Hume: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012

Last edited by jmjhb : 11-21-2011 at 02:40 AM.
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #34
I wanna taste u.

Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he loves the world so much, then why does God allow disasters, famine, disease, slavery, suffering, etc?

To quote Hume: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?"
its not like he was shocked that these acts happen, this world is getting worse and worse, and he of course is watching what is happening, what people like me and you fail to realize that God will judge all of us at the end no matter what, sometimes you have to understand that God did meant for these acts to happen, he expects people to repent against his will and do more evil, and he knows that the world is falling and it will get worst, i was asking God the same question as you were, and now i know the reason, the fact that most people in this world dont even know who God really is, they jus believe in the Man that tell them about God, but are they really telling the truth about God, jus because people go to church, doesnt mean that their saved, in order for you to be saved you must believe in his Word and love God always, you wont understand because you either dont believe in Him or you feel lost that you dont know whats gonna happen

and look what happened to those people who didnt ask God for forgiveness of what they did wrong, they end up dying and have they deal with judgement with God himself, so you cant say that God wouldnt bring justice to the people who did wrong and evil

i use to hate God for letting me go through this pain and suffer i have gotten from people who abused me and made front of me and let my depression get worst, but when i found God on my own it was through spirit, i never thought that i will feel his presence but i did, and he gave me healing spiritually, God is the Holy Spirit, we cant see him but he can see, hear and know all of us, hes not stupid
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #35
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope this rabid creature also realizes that she's guilty of arson and destruction of property, which could additionally be construed as reckless endangerment, theft, and vandalism. All felonies.

I hope she gets caught some day, but given the fleshpots/whorehouses/hellholes she visits that cater to her kind, I bear no illusion that she will face justice and indeed am surprised that Bibles are allowed in those dog kennels/leper colonies.

But she will get what's hers in the final day of judgment and ever after.
What a very Christian post. I'm so glad that none of my Christian friends are like you.

The original post was too long; didn't bother reading it. Sorry.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #36
I wanna taste u.

Im a christian myself and i am a firm believer in God and Jesus Christ!
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #37
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalMyHero View Post
Im a christian myself and i am a firm believer in God and Jesus Christ!
good for you! Hopefully you're not one to go around spewing vile hatred like Aloimeh does.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #38
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
good for you! Hopefully you're not one to go around spewing vile hatred like Aloimeh does.
lol no, i dont judge anyone, why should i when the only person who knows everyone in this world is God, hes our judge not us Man,

i have judged ppl in the past and i have learned my lesson because what happened to them happened to me, so i know who i am and who God is and thats all it matters
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #39
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Now find me a quote where he endorses all the hatred and destruction of Deuteronomy.

What don't you understand? When I say the teachings of Jesus are not compatible with the hatred in Deuteronomy, I obviously don't mean "love thy neighbor", but filth like the quotes below and the ones Clydey posted.

"thou shalt utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor show mercy unto them"

"Of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shall save alive nothing that breatheth"

It is obviously the work of different people with very different philosophies. Deuteronomy and Leviticus go on to limit the meaning of neighbor, from universal to tribalist. Look how the attitude towards "strangers" evolves in Leviticus.

From: "the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself"

To: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

"Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they have begotten in your land: and they shall be your possession."

"You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Perfectly consistent

A religion of universal love was distorted.
You asked for a quote, and I gave it to you. Jesus' two great commandments come straight from Deuteronomy and Leviticus and unfortunately it seems you didn't know that. Now you do.

As for my views on much of the content of Deuteronomy and Leviticus: it was right at the particular place, time, and for that particular people (God's chosen, Israel) but we shouldn't draw conclusions from it as to our behavior. Some of those laws are clearly ceremonial and have no hold on us. Others still hold, obviously. I don't think the Old Testament is "hateful," I just think it illustrates very well that God is a righteous, holy, God who is outraged at sin and will not tolerate it.

And don't lie about God's word. There is no message of "universal love." There is a message of universal forgiveness for those who repent, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and follow the will of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Father. The vast majority of those screaming "God is love" don't want to obey His clear commandments because they love their sin too much and want to continue sinning.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #40
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

To quote Epicurus and Hume: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Those are a consequence of what Adam and Eve did. The whole creation degenerated. We, their descendants, and the animal and plant life must endure the consequences of "natural evil."

The vast majority of evil that scandalizes us, however, is what humans do to each other. And you can't blame God for that, no matter how much you try.

Why God permits evil to exist? Because without it there would be no faith. If He were to destroy evil immediately there would be no basis for faith, it would be all about knowledge and fear.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #41
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
What a very Christian post. I'm so glad that none of my Christian friends are like you.

The original post was too long; didn't bother reading it. Sorry.
Quote:
How convenient that you didn't notice the part where she talks about burning pages out of Bibles in hotels. Or did you see it and approve?

I'm glad your Christian friends are "nice." I'm also not surprised that you aren't Christian, when they sell you this polite and saccharine story.
You're not very impressed with that, are you?

I don't spew hate. I love Sunset of Age, that's why I tell her what she is, what she's doing, and what she must do to set things right. She hates God, she destroys His word, mocks Him and His followers, and leads a life of sin. She is headed on an express train to hell. She knows now what she must do to avoid it. I've told her and done my part.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #42
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

aloimeh has been improving his ACC game exponentially. he's going to be very hard to beat

at the risk of sounding like a bandwagoner, i might say we're looking at the future champion here
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #43
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
How convenient that you didn't notice the part where she talks about burning pages out of Bibles in hotels. Or did you see it and approve?

I'm glad your Christian friends are "nice." I'm also not surprised that you aren't Christian, when they sell you this polite and saccharine story.
You're not very impressed with that, are you?

I don't spew hate. I love Sunset of Age, that's why I tell her what she is, what she's doing, and what she must do to set things right. She hates God, she destroys His word, mocks Him and His followers, and leads a life of sin. She is headed on an express train to hell. She knows now what she must do to avoid it. I've told her and done my part.
but what you are doing is judging people and you dont even know them, i would admit that i did judge people, but its still wrong for anyone including myself and you to judge others! God said "Judge not less not ye be judge", thats the truth, you dont want to judge others cause then you will come out as a hypocrite more than the person you judge, now im not saying that you are not a christian and that i disagree with every comment you made, but sometimes theres a point where you need to tone it down a bit and dont get too much hype into the person who you argue, deal or debate with
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #44
I wanna taste u.

Quote:
Those are a consequence of what Adam and Eve did. The whole creation degenerated. We, their descendants, and the animal and plant life must endure the consequences of "natural evil."

The vast majority of evil that scandalizes us, however, is what humans do to each other. And you can't blame God for that, no matter how much you try.

Why God permits evil to exist? Because without it there would be no faith. If He were to destroy evil immediately there would be no basis for faith, it would be all about knowledge and fear.
this is very true, it says so in Genesis
Quote:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #45
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna first address the question at hand and then veer off-tangent slightly.

First of all, whether the bible is misogynistic at all is really not our concern. Regardless of whether God or his followers wrote the bible, (which I will first say I am more inclined to believe the latter), it was written at a certain point of time. Social norms are only valid for the time period they were found in. (e.g. Slavery was normal in Roman times but not in modern period, i.e. misogyny may be acceptable or in fact demanded at that time, vs how it is not acceptable now). Whether or not misogyny was accepted is another matter, but whether the bible is misogynistic at all is really not our concern as it is only applicable to social standards then.

Which leads me to my 2nd point.
Given that we can all conclude that not everything in the bible can be taken as written, can we all just agree to disagree? Bible-believers will always believe, and non-bible-believers will never believe. ALL I ASK is for bible-believers to stop quoting the bible as "fact" (when it is so obviously not sufficient on its own to be a fact) or, this is my more important concern, making laws on the basis of the bible (far more problematic). Similarly, burning the bible is kind of stupid, especially if it's burning hotel bibles, seeing as they're not really your property.

I will say this though, the only thing I am truly unhappy about the bible is that it brings about crazy people like Aloimeh

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote