The Tintin Movie thread! - MORE REVIEWS!!! (NO SPOILERS) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #61
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tintin Movie anticipation thread! - HEATING UP! PRO-ARTIST'S TINTIN TRIBUTES!

You are awesome Hilde- this was a great write up prior to seeing the movie!!
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #62
country flag The_Nadal_effect

The_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tintin Movie anticipation thread! - HEATING UP! PRO-ARTIST'S TINTIN TRIBUTES!

Thanks Castafiore for that amazing write up!
*YOU MUST SPREAD SOME REPUTATION BEFORE GIVING IT TO CASTAFIORE AGAIN*

I love it when people get into the details of Tintin. That's where all the joy is as any lifelong adult fan would know!

IMO, Omitting Calculus was a master-blunder, as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps, the storytellers would have thought that introducing a main character in the third book of the movie might be too late, but if they could shift the storytelling of Sir Francis Haddock to another location, can't see why they wouldn't do the same for Calculus. Could have shifted him somehow to act 1. Big bummer, especially because the chemistry between Calculus and Haddock rocks with humour (Destination Moon, anyone?)!

Everyone else as well who intends to watch the movie, even first time fans of the movie itself, be so kind as to drop in a few lines or entire reviews for the rest of us, but WITHOUT SPOILERS of course!

The thread title will continue to remain 'The Tintin movie anticipation thread' till its official world-wide release. Thereafter, I will change it to 'the Tintin movie thread'.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #63
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tintin Movie anticipation thread! - read CASTAFIORE'S REVIEW (without spoiler

^ I'm looking forward to reading reactions to the movie from you all.

I went to the Hergé museum in Louvain-La-Neuve last year (the location sucks, by the way. The museum itself rocks. The building itself is worth the trip). There, they explained why Hergé added so few female characters. Hergé himself said that he liked to make fun of his own characters and he felt that it isn't appropriate to make fun of ladies. Glad to see that he somewhat changed his mind by introducing Bianca Castafiore.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #64
country flag The_Nadal_effect

The_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tintin Movie anticipation thread! - read CASTAFIORE'S REVIEW (without spoiler

Well, I just caught up with THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN yesterday evening and there was plenty I enjoyed about it.

To begin with, I caught the 3D version of the movie which looked awesome!!! Just for the technical wizardry of it, I'd rate this movie 10/10! Also, the animation is excellent: the makers took care to simply mould the 2D faces of every major or minor character into 3D. Even the look of the 'extras' is from the Herge universe. The detailing was spot on! So that's a flying start! Herge might have been really pleased by the visual aesthetics of the movie, if nothing else.

As for the movie itself, it is not at all faithful to the book. Although that is common occurrence in adaptations, Spielberg has taken some over-the-top creative liberties and added scenes that are totally absent in the series, and that was kind of annoying, especially towards the climax when Haddock and Saccharine come face to face and fight. Thankfully, he makes do without adding new characters: That would have been catastrophic. For me, what made the movie successful was that in recreating characters we could neither hear nor watch move and emote in their original 2D strips, the filmmakers retained a healthy balance between humanizing and cartooning the characters.

Jamie Bell as Tintin was spectacular. He not only emoted but moved as a young, kinetic Tintin might have (Almost like Michael J Fox in Back to the Future!). He restrained himself to serving as the fulcrum for the unfolding plot, which unraveled like a Bond flick for kiddies. The character humour - which I felt was the most difficult translation to make - was handled deftly, though it left with plenty still to be asked, to reach Herge's level of richness. I hope they work this part a bit more in the remaining two movies of the trilogy. The captain's restrained use of his favorite abuses was equally important (he says 'Barnacles' once almost like 'oh, shit!' - great touch!) for the humour as were the handling of Thompsons Twins' penchant for tomfoolery. Snowy did not talk back to Tintin (fans might vary on that one - because Snowy can after all emote when in private with Tintin) but it still works out well in the movie. The additional slapstick humour in the movies must have made up for the restrained character humour for the kids that watch the movie.

Purists - aka Tintinophiles - might be disgusted with Spielberg's commercialization of a work of art (which the books certainly are!) but given the good that might come off from this release (new Tintin fans, many of whom might now go read the books for once!), the whole ordeal might be worth it.

Will I watch it again? Perhaps. Will I anticipate the next one? Definitely.
Overall rating: 7/10

(*One tribute shot I missed: Tintin standing on the frame of the screen as he does so often on the panel of the comics. And oh, yeah, like MTF's Castafiore - I did miss Professor Calculus!)